Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 12:47 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,230,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
"Someone once said that every man is trying to either live up to his father's expectations or make up for his father's mistakes,"

Amen and and a Hallelujah!
Well, Someone was once wrong and unfortunately far too many have failed to think for themselves.

I understood at a young age that my father and I were not friends. He did some good things for people in his life, some for me but his attempts to participate in my life infringed upon my efforts at personal satisfaction.

He's dead now and that's too bad. But I don't miss father's day. And I don't need The O trying to run a father's leadership council for american men. He can keep his personal life to himself and get on with finishing out his term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 12:50 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,345,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
But you know what? Millions of us dads have been doing just that for years. And we didn't have to read a book or have a President elected to do so.

Then the message wasn't for you, was it.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:57 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
I don't need The O trying to run a father's leadership council for american men. He can keep his personal life to himself and get on with finishing out his term.

So, can I expect to NEVER read a comment by you about black men, single parenting, and African Americans always blaming whitey and never taking up personal responsibility, etc, etc., I'm glad to hear that, so I thank you in advance.

Old 06-20-2009, 02:01 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,617,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Obama is a great father, however, we had hoped for a president. Unfortunately we didn't get that in him...
Sour Grapes!!! Pure and simple...

Old 06-20-2009, 02:28 PM

1,332 posts, read 1,989,631 times
Default Why don't some of you take a break?

I'm not an Obama fan, and I did not vote for him.

But, he is our President. So, like that fact or not, if you are truly committed to our country's well being - You stand behind the man.

Sure, we have the right to criticize his policies that we don't agree with - That's our right, and I am sure that he respects that.

If he takes the opportunity to try to influence some people to be more responsible, who in their right mind would take an opportunity to knock it?

So, what if it doesn't apply to you?...I'm sure there are things in each of our lives that only effect some, but not all. And, if someone like the President takes the time to address those issues, it's self-centered selfishness on those that criticize it.

The infortunate thing here, is that this "ready to explode about anything" mentality arises from activities of the fringe freaks from both sides of the political spectrum - The left wing and the right wing.

And, by the way - It is not just black men that are miserable fathers. Maybe a greater percentage - But, then again, they are a smaller percentage of the population.

Let's face it - there are plenty of white kids that need a kick in the butt...(Whoops!...Will I be banned for that statement?...I guess I can expect the usual replies and accusations...).

Old 06-20-2009, 02:42 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,856,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
Well, Someone was once wrong and unfortunately far too many have failed to think for themselves.

I understood at a young age that my father and I were not friends. He did some good things for people in his life, some for me but his attempts to participate in my life infringed upon my efforts at personal satisfaction.

He's dead now and that's too bad. But I don't miss father's day. And I don't need The O trying to run a father's leadership council for american men. He can keep his personal life to himself and get on with finishing out his term.
I also don't need Comrade Obama to tell me what kind of dad I should be. I don't walk away from family like many young stupid breeders in the inner cities.

Old 06-20-2009, 02:51 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,148,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
I also don't need Comrade Obama to tell me what kind of dad I should be. I don't walk away from family like many young stupid breeders in the inner cities.
See post #13, Mr. Exquisite Progenitor.

Old 06-20-2009, 04:03 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,230,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
So, can I expect to NEVER read a comment by you about black men, single parenting, and African Americans always blaming whitey and never taking up personal responsibility, etc, etc., I'm glad to hear that, so I thank you in advance.
Yes, you will hear from me, neither thanx nor regrets required. I do not understand what part of Nanny state has anything to do with personal responsibility.

Some other post, some other day there was a reply about needing the government to pay for college education so 'they could lift themselves up'. Those not lifted and blaming whitey are like those who need nanny state guidance to make them feel equal. For them, the closest they'll get to equal is death and taxes, after nanny state rebates.

Old 06-20-2009, 04:03 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,027,560 times
it seems as time goes on there is less and less a father can do for his children. the gov controls the schools,laws are passed how we can dicipline them.drugs are forced on them,as well as the new visions of social engeneering. it was an uphill battle to keep my daughters away from the gov will do it for you cause they know better than your parents bunk.we need to feel needed and the gov is taking that away a piece at a time. they are trying to replace us then wonder where we are? well duh proud single Dad

Old 06-20-2009, 04:06 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,318,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Obama is a great father, however, we had hoped for a president. Unfortunately we didn't get that in him...
It seems he's fathering a new nation by f***ing the old one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies