Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2009, 06:45 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,842,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Again that is what many have concerns about. Equal education (government run) in the US has resulted in mediocre education. Except for those who can pay.

Equal healthcare will certainly mean mediocre healthcare. Except for those who can pay. Which will provide fodder for the left, I'm sure 10 years form now we will be talking about the healthcare gap.
I can only go by my experiences of equal healthcare and it is far from mediocre. My wife often says how it is lovely to not even have to give your healthcare a second thought. There is a huge healthcare gap in America right now and it must be closed for everyones sake.

It isn't brain washing it is our experience as US citizens as to how our governement works. Some, like your wife may not agree, but many do.
Yes there is a culture difference between America and the UK. I didn't realise how much of one until i bought my home in the USA and now live in both cultures. Brainwashing is the wrong word but many Americans are truly fed misinformation and they seem to gobble it up with great relish.

By the way much of the develoments in medical technology has been based in the US. Not all but much. And those that did not originate here made their profits here. With this huge market taken off line from a profit perspective innovation will surely suffer.
The UK has some of the best labs and techs in the world. We also have some great Doctors who lead the field in their disciplines. I have a friend who is a eminent obstetrician who developed a new technique for cutting down bleeding in caesarians. He is also one of the top guys in the W.H.O.
I have always been brought up with health as a non issue. To see so many Americans who have health as a issue is so sad and it doesn't have to be that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 06:52 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,741,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
The UK has some of the best labs and techs in the world. We also have some great Doctors who lead the field in their disciplines. I have a friend who is a eminent obstetrician who developed a new technique for cutting down bleeding in caesarians. He is also one of the top guys in the W.H.O.
I have always been brought up with health as a non issue. To see so many Americans who have health as a issue is so sad and it doesn't have to be that way.

Look it is simply wrong to say someone is misinformed or brainwashed because they disagree with you. I have made, what I think are fairly cogent arguments as to why I believe UHC is wrong for the US. You frequently change the subject, rarely confront the concerns and usually bring in anecdotal evidence, your wife, your friends etc.

UHC is wrong for the US because it is too expensive and the governement doesn't provide goods and services as well as the private sector.

Old 06-21-2009, 06:54 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,616,398 times
Quote:
UHC is wrong for the US because it is too expensive and the governement doesn't provide goods and services as well as the private sector.
Do you have one shred of evidence to backup this blanket statement?

Old 06-21-2009, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Look it is simply wrong to say someone is misinformed or brainwashed because they disagree with you. I have made, what I think are fairly cogent arguments as to why I believe UHC is wrong for the US. You frequently change the subject, rarely confront the concerns and usually bring in anecdotal evidence, your wife, your friends etc.

NO i constantly use my own experience of a UHC. I quote my wife because she used to think like you until she actually used a UHC
Have you any real experience of a UHC at all that you can use to discredit a UHC?

Old 06-21-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbleRules View Post
Do you have one shred of evidence to backup this blanket statement?

History is littered with examples, but here is an oldie but goodie.

Trabant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by shorebaby; 06-21-2009 at 07:12 PM..

Old 06-21-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
NO i constantly use my own experience of a UHC.
Have you any real experience of a UHC at all that you can use to discredit a UHC?

I have explained ad nauseum my experience, which is shared by many, with the organization that would run UHC. I don't need experience with a Trabant to know they would produce a pretty lousy car if they were the only game in town.

By the way here is a European group that is not as impressed with Europe's version of universal healthcare

http://www.ecipe.org/blog/us-healthcare-reform-lessons-from-europe (broken link)

Change your mind? Of course not because that is one groups opinion. People can have different views without being brain washed or misinformed.

Last edited by shorebaby; 06-21-2009 at 07:12 PM..

Old 06-21-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
I have explained ad nauseum my experience, which is shared by many, with the organization that would run UHC. I don't need experience with a Trabant to know they would produce a pretty lousy car if they were the only game in town.

By the way here is a European group that is not as impressed with Europe's version of universal healthcare

US Healthcare reform: lessons from Europe — ECIPE (http://www.ecipe.org/blog/us-healthcare-reform-lessons-from-europe - broken link)

Change your mind? Of course not because that is one groups opinion. People can have different views without being brain washed or misinformed.
So NO you haven't any experience of a Govt run UHC.
There are groups that are unhappy about everything...what's new? I use the UHC in the UK and I am extremely happy with it.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
So NO you haven't any experience of a Govt run UHC.
There are groups that are unhappy about everything...what's new? I use the UHC in the UK and I am extremely happy with it.

OK to use your logic you were not born in the US and haven't had the same experiences I have had so you can't say UHC would work in the US given its diverse population. Pretty lame huh?

It is folks like you who reinforce in Americans minds that this probably isn't the best route for us. Zealots who are true believers turn off Americans.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
OK to use your logic you were not born in the US and haven't had the same experiences I have had so you can't say UHC would work in the US given its diverse population. Pretty lame huh?

It is folks like you who reinforce in Americans minds that this probably isn't the best route for us. Zealots who are true believers turn off Americans.
So nearly every other industrialised nation can set up and run a successful UHC but America is Incapable? Is that what you are saying? America has some inbred allergy to creating a healthcare system to serve every American Citizen is that it? Australia has a diverse population too yet they now have a successful UHC.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
So nearly every other industrialised nation can set up and run a successful UHC but America is Incapable? Is that what you are saying? America has some inbred allergy to creating a healthcare system to serve every American Citizen is that it? Australia has a diverse population too yet they now have a successful UHC.

Again yours may not be as successful as you think. It is very expensive and unsustainable.

Photomaniacal » Blog Archive » NHS running out of money

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle1289215.ece

http://www.reform.co.uk/MediaCoverag...w/Default.aspx

http://marketplace.publicradio.org/display/web/2009/06/19/mm_ukhealth/ (broken link)

http://www.scotsman.com/healthofthen...tim.3705268.jp

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...ife/article.do

Come to think of it here are a number of people with UHC experience who don't think its too hot.

Last edited by shorebaby; 06-21-2009 at 08:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies