Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 10:54 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,478,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbleRules View Post

BTW - the AMA is firmly against UHC for profit reasons...
Exactly. You can't quote these fools. They are about money not people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 10:56 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
I see having many more options as the solution.

Walmart will be opening cheap walk in clinics. People who already have insurance are usually okay and should be left alone.

The uninsured are the problem and since they aren't able to come up with anything of their own, if they want the government to pool their money for them and come up with a health care plan for them -- fine with me but keep me and my paycheck out of it.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:57 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
If you have to wait an extra three months to get a hemorrhoid removed, so be it. Surgeries will be classed on a necessity basis, and those needing life saving procedures could now get them, without knowing they will be broke without any insurance without coverage, thereby increasing survival rates.

I'm all about prioritizing, and making universal healthcare a reality.
I tend to agree with that point of view.

Old 06-21-2009, 11:00 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
^
I've seen some of those. Maybe Switzerland will be a better model for us. It's the most market oriented of the UHC systems. Trying to keep healthcare costs cheap the way Japan does as pointed out has caused 50% of their hospitals to have deficit problems.
We should look at UHC systems all over the world and design the best one for us. But these folks that say "no public option" are just fooling themselves if they think anything else will get the job done. We need a "public option"- even if it is just for catastrophic care.

Old 06-21-2009, 11:14 AM

7,530 posts, read 11,365,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

Walmart will be opening cheap walk in clinics. People who already have insurance are usually okay and should be left alone.
This touches on some of that.

YouTube - John Stossel - Sick in America - Part 6 (of 6)

Old 06-21-2009, 08:57 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Having read the article, not me.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:39 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Quote:
If Obama is open to it I hope he considers the most reasonable sounding views of those who advocate for non or less gov't approaches to healthcare reforms. Such as the views of people at the Cato institute for example. It's obvious now that a gov't or public plan can't be afforded.
What can't be afforded is to continue down the path that we are on. Do you not hear these complaints that a public plan will put private insurers out of business? How can that be unless it is the case that private sector health care simply cannot compete with public sector health care. For the private sector to suffer, the price/quality provided by the public sector would have to be superior in the eyes of consumers. Private sector whiners seem to see that as a certainty. There is good reason for them to see the situation that way.

Quote:
These gov't run UHC systems are more complicated to fund and manage than many Americans realize. Just read up on them from Canadian,UK and Australian news sources.
Baloney. The current US system throws some 25% of health care dollars not at care, but at administrative costs. It is the most inefficient system in the developed world.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:55 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
Exactly. You can't quote these fools. They are about money not people.
If only more people would stop going to their doctor to protest their opposition to a single payer health care system.
Of course those with chronic illnesses and such...I wouldn't advocate it.
If I knew my doctor was in opposition to a single payer system, I'd gladly find a new one.

With this recession and people losing their jobs [and health insurance] doctors should already be on edge. Plus many Americans have said they put off going to the doctor for financial reasons. Sad, sad...sad.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:59 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

The uninsured are the problem and since they aren't able to come up with anything of their own, if they want the government to pool their money for them and come up with a health care plan for them -- fine with me but keep me and my paycheck out of it.

I don't know about the uninsured being THE problem.
Doctors are also part of the problem too. The way we compensate doctors is a problem.

I have insurance and I'd love to have a single payer system. I think the American people should be given a public OPTION. I don't think it should be mandatory but if we choose to be in it, it will come out of our paychecks and not everyone else's. Just like the money for the health insurance you receive from your employer comes out your paycheck.

The way things are shaping up, it looks the insurance companies will continue to come out on top.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:15 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,365,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I have insurance and I'd love to have a single payer system.
What are you basing your desire for a single payer system on? Which country has a single payer system that you would like to see implemented in America?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies