Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 11:16 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
The failure of at least 2 generations lost to depending on government for your survival. The failure to teach at least 2 generations the value of education, learning and being able to put together a coherent sentence. The failure to recognize the ills in the black community can no longer be blamed on the white man. Some do break the cycle of perpetual dependency and that should be applauded.

Listen to Bill Cosby - he is right on the money.
You are assuming that all, or even most, black Americans are comporting themselves in a negative manner. I believe if some people are failing, all of us are failing. So this not on American blacks. This is on Americans, period.

And Cosby is pretty much on the money. But even he did not paint all blacks with the broad brush you seem to be employing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 11:16 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,843,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
I'm not waiting for anything.

But I'm interested in knowing...why would this cause a civil war?
total population of the US during the civil war was just over 30,000,000. we are now over 300,000,000. do you think that the descendents of irish immigrants from the 20's wants their tax dollar going to pay for something they had NOTHING to do with? the number of white and black people who have any connection with slavery is in the minority. people in general are tired of being over taxed. this would be a huge waste of money, and that is why it would never happen. no matter what the fear mongering terrorists from both sides will tell you.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:18 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
my ancestors were in sicily. why should I care? this is what is called political grandstanding. it means nothing.
thefinalsay, it's my opinion it is the country's fault, even though it's not your personal problem. By immigrating to this country, and becoming a US citizen (of which I think you are a fine upstanding one), you are obliged to take on the responsibilities of the nation as a whole, even though your ancestors were not here at the time.

To be honest, I have no idea where my family was prior to the mid 1800s. The fact remains that we, as white people, have benefited from this country and a lot of it is on the backs of black people who were treated horribly for almost two centuries.

Blacks were used by the mass of this country to make huge profits; and many of those entities who profited off enslaved blacks are still in existence to this very day.

The abuse these people suffered (IMO) has resulted in the many problems in the black community to this day. That's merely my opinion though.

BTW, I do respect your opinion.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:18 AM

4,657 posts, read 8,712,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
To put it bluntly, our ancestors DID enslave other people. I'm not a bleeding heart liberal, in fact I am a conservative Christian.

However, I believe that we should apologize for the sins of our fathers at the very, very least.

What was done to black Americans was WRONG.

People were enslaved, and many died. Even not to die but to be enslaved for life was so very cruel to an entire race of people.

Our forefathers were responsible for this and we owe black Americans a huge apology for the injustice.

A whole lot of money was made by enslaving these people, and if reparations to their ancestors is in order I believe it should be looked in to by the US Congress. WE profited off black Americans for almost 200 years and they ultimately suffered for it for generation after generation even after slavery ended.

Perhaps it is time to pay the piper.
Who's "our"? I'm first generation American and my wife is an immigrant.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:20 AM

4,657 posts, read 8,712,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarqueseGilmore View Post
Who's using any excuse for anything? Just realize that IT DOES affect us!! Thats all.........
May I ask how?

Old 06-22-2009, 11:24 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Who's "our"? I'm first generation American and my wife is an immigrant.

Please read my last post. BTW, my wife is Japanese so she had no connection with the abuse heaped upon blacks either.

I'm not talking about a personal responsibility; I'm talking about our responsibility as a COUNTRY.

This country benefited off the backs of Africans who were brought here involuntarily and put into a life of servitude. Should the country ignore what we did to these people?

Old 06-22-2009, 11:26 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,555,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarqueseGilmore View Post
It's an apology!! The first thing you [MOD CUT/personal attacks] jump to is reparations.....which money cant pay what we as Black Americans are owed!! You all act like slavery doesnt affect the current generation of blacks and thats totally wrong. Lets not forget that slavery only ended around 140 years ago. How are we not affected by what are ancestors been through?! No,the current generation of blacks werent enslaved but we are just now getting fair rights. I read an article that said that white men make more than double as a black man working the same exact position. You all need to open your eyes and stop thinking with hate!!
First, the main point of the answers so far is that no one alive today participated in slavery. On either side. Period.

Second, you are the one making the racist statements. What blacks are owed? Poor oppressed black man not doing as well as whitey? What about all the ones who are succeeding in society? What about all the other races that are not?

To quote you: "You all need to open your eyes and stop thinking with hate." Additionally, take some respondsibility upon yourself.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 06-22-2009 at 01:29 PM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 06-22-2009, 11:28 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
You are assuming that all, or even most, black Americans are comporting themselves in a negative manner.
No, I did not mean that. I did say some do break the cycle, but most don't.

Education is the key, but most of the black youth seem to think it is a betrayal to educate themselves in order to live in the "white man's" world.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:28 AM

727 posts, read 1,891,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
My people were spat upon for being Hispanic, were turned away from work for being Irish. They came to this country after slavery. They have no direct link to slavery, meaning they did not enslave your ancestors. Did they benefit from slavery? No. They were treated like 2nd class citizens, which is something our ancestors bore in common. I can sympathize with that completely; my mother was subjected to racism when she moved from NYC to a suburb; my sibling and I experienced it to a somewhat lesser extent (much fairer skin).

How is it I am blind if I choose to look forward in the book of life to make it the best possible, while turning the page on an earllier chapter? I won't forget the racism my family experienced, but collectively we have turned the hate into strength and moved ahead in our lives.

Let me ask you (so that I may learn) so please answer honestly: Do you feel that a federal apology will help the ancestors of the slaves move forward with their lives and give them initiative to improve on their lives?
Ofcourse we look forward but you cant forget what your ancestors went through! Do we just forget?........

Old 06-22-2009, 11:29 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,600,003 times
I don't see a problem with it. It couldn't hurt. But I thought President Clinton did this during his tenure?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies