Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2009, 11:41 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBrownBiscuit View Post
She doesn't want to get it.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~
Nope, the unreasoned hatred for, and misunderstanding of, the poor, cannot easily be changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 11:44 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,566,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
I sincerely believe this all comes back to liberty. The people ultimately want to be left alone.
Is that right? I think you're wrong, otherwise there wouldn't be so much opposition to war now would there?

Quote:
There will always be poverty. There was with massive government, and there was without massive government. I believe there would be less starving and more person freedom without government based charity.
Some people like to stick their head in the ground & deny there's a problem & choose to ignore it "hey, I don't see it around me so why should I have to deal w/it? Let someone else deal w/it & by someone else I don't mean the government dammit!" That sounds a lot like you. Then there are others who don't deny these problems & who looks for solutions, that include the private sector AND the government. Some problems are too big to overcome by just one factor. Smart people think this way.

Quote:
This is why I believe the voluntary system is the way to go, as you cannot actually be "forced" to be charitable. Also, there are other ways to shelter yourself from said forced contribution. Some more inconvenient than others.
You can't be "forced" to volunteer either so there goes that theory. As for the rest, not sure what you're getting at but if it includes the mob, count me out.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:45 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,493,244 times
On what basis are you able to conclude that there would be less starving without government based charity? Any statistical data, research study, etc from which you are drawing this conclusion?

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Quote:
I sincerely believe this all comes back to liberty. The people ultimately want to be left alone.

There will always be poverty. There was with massive government, and there was without massive government. I believe there would be less starving and more person freedom without government based charity.

This is why I believe the voluntary system is the way to go, as you cannot actually be "forced" to be charitable. Also, there are other ways to shelter yourself from said forced contribution. Some more inconvenient than others.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
My apologies for going off topic. The person was referring to war and greed. Since they have nothing to do with government charity concerning hungry individuals, we were already going off topic, and I simply followed along.

Thanks for bringing me back on track though.
Are you being deliberately obtuse? Please, put your thinking cap back on. That OP you're referring to was in fact right on topic & was in response to another persons post. Do you need to go back & read it? You're post however was totally off-topic & meant as a distraction. Nice try but we all see thru it.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:46 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,939,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Guess what. I might agree IF the government did not FORCE ME to give to the war in Iraq, did not FORCE ME to bail out multi millionaires and their companies, did not FORCE ME to support politicians who do the bidding of the lobbyist and not the people, did not FORCE ME to pay for cadilac health care for the politicians while poor working folks die from lack of health care, did not FORCE ME to pay for the bridges to nowhere in their districts. did not FORCE ME to pay for their scrumptious banquets while children go hungry, did not FORCE ME to pay for the tax breaks given to companies that took the jobs that could have supported these poor families and move them overseas. I could go on and on but the point is that ALL of us are FORCED by the government to pay for things in which we don't believe. For me it is war and greed. For you it is hungry children.
All sorts of assumptions and erroneous info here. First, you assume that I supported all those things. You have no idea what my position is on any of those issues. Second, you assume that since we are forced to pay for a bunch of things some or all of us don't want to pay for, it's ok to force us to pay for another one becasue YOU happen to believe in it. You want to stop being overtaxed and asked to support a bunch of programs you don't like, then stand up and say you don't want to be overtaxed, that government is out of control, that we the people aren't going to allow our federal government to take this much control over out lives & our money. Don't add to the problem by advocating another program, another aspect of someones life, be put in the increasingly over reaching overspending bloat that we call government.
Very few people in America die from lack of health care. If one is anywhere near in danger of death, one can get emergency care at any of a large number of hospitals & heath care centers. The issue is that not everyone is asked to pay for it, so the rest of us have to. But this thread isn't about the health care system either, so I'll let that go.
And your implication at the end of the post that I support war & greed while you support feeding hungry children is snide, obnoxious and petty, to say nothing of untrue.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:49 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,282,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Are you being deliberately obtuse? Please, put your thinking cap back on. That OP you're referring to was in fact right on topic & was in response to another persons post. Do you need to go back & read it? You're post however was totally off-topic & meant as a distraction. Nice try but we all see thru it.
The poster used the term war for the first time on this thread. They were straying from the main topic. I just followed along. I appreciate the heads up though.

As Bill stated, it was also a false assumption.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:49 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,843,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
? it's a direct quote from this woman's newsletter, plus a link to the newsletter.

I dont understand that sort of thinking. "Im afraid to accept the news article from source A, even though it's thoroughly sourced and even contains the same quotes as source B."
do you know what question they ask people to determine if their children are hungry? they ask, "in the last year, has your child ever complained about being hungry?"

ok. please tell me a child that hasn't complained about being hungry. "hunger" is not a problem in this country. poor kids are fat in this country.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
The poster used the term war for the first time on this thread. They were straying from the main topic. I just followed along. I appreciate the heads up though.
Like I said, re-read it, I don't think you understand the term "staying on topic". For instance, these posts are off-topic.

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,843,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Nope, the unreasoned hatred for, and misunderstanding of, the poor, cannot easily be changed.
is that the same hatred that is expressed towards the successful?

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
This has absolutely nothing to do with feeding hungry children, and everything with obtaining more power for the liberal freaks. Government is the answer to everything, government is the panacea that will cure all of society's ills. Or so the liberal freaks would have us believe. Toward achieving that end the liberal freaks need to destroy the authority of the parent and supplant parental responsibility with government dictates.

Children in the US are not starving. That is yet another liberal lie for the sole purpose of grabbing more power. Just because they do not eat what the liberal freaks want them to eat, they label them as starving. According to liberal freaks, if a child does not get five courses of fruits and vegetables during the course of a day, they are being starved to death. When the reality is that the majority of our children are overweight.

Liberal freaks want the government to dictate to parents what their children are fed, how they are clothed, what they are taught, what kind of medical care they should receive, and most importantly, how to think. Parents need to stop the indoctrination of their children by liberal freaks, or kiss goodbye any semblance of a family structure in the future. It will all be government controlled in the future and people will merely be government authorized baby factories. Liberal freaks want to completely destroy the traditional family and have been striving toward achieving that goal since the 1960s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies