Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 09:42 PM

67 posts, read 227,599 times

Advertisements

I don't want to initiate a discussion about race. I'm just wondering if the Nation of Islam is a racist organization or if the media is portraying them in a exaggerating way as such and wonder how respected they are within the African-American community or if they are considered controversial?

I'm not interested in NOI bashing by people who don't know more about them than I do. I'm interested only in balanced feedback by forumites who have more insights. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 09:48 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
Nation of Islam is considered a controversial group because of their history.

Black Muslims in America in general are not considered controversial unless they are associated with the Nation of Islam and that's because of Farrakahn and his involvement with the group in my belief.

From what I understand some people in the African American community sees them as a "black empowerment movement" type of group because they place their ethnicity, and are motivated by black American issues above everything else.

There are many websites around to read about the Nation of Islam the history of the group is very interesting and begins with Malcolm X for the most part.

If you read about Malcolm X's life and how he died you may form an opinion of the Nation of Islam and understand them better.

There is a movie that Denzel Washington made about the life of Malcolm X, it's very compelling, I recommend you rent that movie.

Last edited by LuckyGem; 06-22-2009 at 10:01 PM.. Reason: commas, commas, commas

Old 06-22-2009, 10:12 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
judge for yourself.

Quote:
The Nation of Islam under the leadership of the Honorable Minister Louis Farrakhan is the catalyst for the growth and development of Islam in America.
- NOI.org
Quote:
“The God who taught me calls the white man the skunk of the planet earth. He is so wicked and so filthy that God calls him the skunk of the planet earth.” -Louis Farrakhan

"take this beautiful woman — she's your queen! She's your jewel. Don't let a white man get near this black woman. And last but not least, black man, don't let that white man at anytime in your life give you his white woman! We don't want her!" -Louis Farrakhan

"The white man is our mortal enemy, and we cannot accept him. I will fight to see that vicious beast go down into the late of fire prepared for him from the beginning, that he never rise again to give any innocent black man, woman or child the hell that he has delighted in pouring on us for 400 years." -Louis Farrakhan

“It is an act of mercy to white people that we end your world... We must end your world and bring in a new world.” -Louis Farrakhan

“We will tar and feather them, we will hang them from the highest limb, we will chop off their heads and roll them down the street.” -Louis Farrakhan

Old 06-22-2009, 10:14 PM

2,476 posts, read 2,603,883 times
Name : Cardillo, Phillip Rank: P.O.
Shield #: 26620Command: 028 Pct.Date of Death: 1972-04-20Cause of Death: Shot-Investigation It was a "10-13" A brother officer?s life might have been in, danger. So that was all Ptl Phillip Cardillo and Vito Navarra, 28 Pct., were concerned about as they sped to the location transmitted by Sixth Division Radio as ?102 West 116 Street, on the second floor,? on April 14, 1972. Arriving first at the scene, the officers raced into the building, a Black Muslim Mosque, and heard scuffling on the above floor. As they made it up the staircase they were intercepted by 15 to 20 men who forced the officers to retreat down the stairs and back into the hallway. Meanwhile, Ptl. Victor Padilla and Ivan Negron, 25 Pct., along with additional units, arrived and entered the premises. The officers, out numbered, were then attacked and overwhelmed. All of them except Ptl. Cardillo, Padilla and Negron were forced out. A steel door was closed behind them. Ptl. Padilla was then beaten and blackjacked into semi-consciousness while his partner fought off several men who were trying to grab his revolver. With his back to the door, Ptl. Negron suddenly heard shots. He turned and saw a man with a gun in his hand who seemed to be getting up from the floor where Ptl. Cardillo now lay shot. Negron, managing to free himself from his attackers, drew his revolver and fired three shots. It is not known if the man with the gun was hit; he escaped. There were 20 to 25 men in the hallway when Ptl. Navarra and Rudy Andre, 28 Pct., beaten out of the Mosque moments earlier, broke a glass on the metal door and saw the patrolmen inside on their backs. They fired several shots through the broken glass into the hallway. This scattered the men who had been assaulting the officers and enabled Ptl. Negron to unbolt the double metal door. During the melee, Ptl. Cardillo and Padilla, seriously injured, had their service revolvers taken from them. Immediately these officers were rushed to St. Lukes Hospital. Despite intensive efforts on the part of surgeons, hospital personnel and numerous blood donors, a week later Ptl. Cardillo died. The chest wound was inflicted by a bullet fired at such a close distance, powder burns were on his jacket. Ptl Padilla is still recovered from the brutal beating he received.

An investigation of the incident disclosed that the original "assist patrolman" phone call, made by a man who identified himself as a detective was unfounded. Thus far, two men have been arrested on assault charges as the intensive search for Ptl. Cardillo's murderer continues.

An Inspector's Funeral was given to Officer Cardillo. The five-year-veteran on the force is survived by his wife and three children. He was 31 years old.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------The nation of Islam is a racist,murdering piece of SH%T organization.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:03 AM

1,263 posts, read 2,331,609 times
Obama's church of 20 years gave Farrakhan it's highest honor. While Obama was there. Obama never protested.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:06 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamontnow View Post
Obama's church of 20 years gave Farrakhan it's highest honor. While Obama was there. Obama never protested.
that's an excellent point my friend.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:18 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,478,195 times
Within many black communities the NOI is a very positive influence. Speaking from personal experience, the NOI focuses on empowering the powerless through education and discipline. They are religious extremists in some ways but they do provide people without direction a positive outlet. In my personal experience, the NOI cleaned up the neighborhood I grew up in. They quite honestly imposed there will on the drug dealers and various criminals and through sheer dedication(and a few @ss whippings) encouraged the scuttle to move on. During my experiences with them, I never heard any of the local NOI leaders express any racial or religious hatred. This has come from some of the national leaders but locally I never experienced it. They did attempt to indoctrinate young men into there way of life and religious teachings. They appear to have the most effect on those recently released from prison or those needing direction. It seemed to be very positive to instill discipline and focus into young men who never had it. The rest of us who were fairly well adjusted were just happy that they ran the criminal element out of the neighborhood.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:47 AM

3,770 posts, read 4,982,136 times
Default Think about this from 1600 to 1968!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
judge for yourself.
The news you see on TV today, what about the past?

"A Black man this! A Black man that!!

Rape

From about 1600 to 1968, Black's Women were being raped almost everyday.

The majority of White rapist that raped a Black women were not sent to jail in America. None

Black's were raped so much that in America, Blacks have about 45 different skin tones.

Murder

Blacks were killed on an hourly basis! Treated horribly so a slave owner could drink his lemonade and enjoy his way of life!!!!

Islam done the right way is a peaceful religion, Just like Christianity!!

The NOI is a result of the way of life that Blacks endure here in America.

The Slave owners were Christian am I right or wrong?

Old 06-23-2009, 11:52 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,843,743 times
I wouldn't call them a racist organization, I would call them idiots.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:53 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,088,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinion View Post
The news you see on TV today, what about the past?

You have no future if you ive in the past. The NOI IS a racist group intent on keeping the minds of blacks on the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies