Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 12:36 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,633,566 times

Advertisements

It's just like any dysfunctional family but more entertaining 'cause it ain't mine!

Chris Matthews is the man:

Health Care Policy Sparks Squabbling On "Morning Joe" (VIDEO)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 12:41 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,832,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
It's just like any dysfunctional family but more entertaining 'cause it ain't mine!

chris matthews is a man? most men don't get a "thrill" shooting up their leg from the words of a politician.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:45 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,896,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
chris matthews is a man? most men don't get a "thrill" shooting up their leg from the words of a politician.
ObamaBots do ...

Old 06-24-2009, 01:00 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,418,979 times
I can't watch the video right now because the boss is in, but the text commentary is hilarious!

And, thefinalsay, he's certainly not what I'm sure you suppose him to be.
Quote:
Matthews's statements defy conservatives' claims that he is a "liberal Democrat" | Media Matters for America

. . .

Those who label Matthews a progressive have evidently ignored telling indicators to the contrary.

. . .

Matthews previously admitted that he "voted for Bush" in the 2000 election on the October 3, 2003, and February 23, 2004, editions of Hardball. Further, his stated positions on a variety of issues undermine characterizations of him as a liberal, and his false and misleading claims have often furthered a conservative or Republican agenda.

. . .

Matthews has repeatedly espoused Republican talking points while discussing the Senate compromise over judicial filibusters. He has claimed, among other things, that progressive advocacy groups are "fanatical" and "militant"; that because of the recent bipartisan agreement aimed at averting the "nuclear option," Democrats can stop "pouting and bitching ... [and] actually participate in legislation now"; that Republicans might "get double-crossed or screwed by the Democrats"; and that the Republican position that every judicial nominee deserves an up-or-down vote "sounds great to me."

. . .

Matthews has hosted numerous MSNBC panels that contained far more conservative commentators than progressives: during MSNBC's presidential debate coverage; its presidential inauguration coverage; and both before and after Bush's 2005 State of the Union address. While moderating discussion panels on Hardball, Matthews has repeatedly emphasized the liberal allegiances of progressive guests, while failing to note that other guests on the same panel were Republican. And the syndicated The Chris Matthews Show is no different: Of the 45 Chris Matthews Show panels convened in 2004, 21 skewed to the right, 12 were balanced, seven skewed to the left, and five featured a conservative who supported Sen. John Kerry on an otherwise balanced panel.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:28 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,832,261 times
thefinalsay wrote;
Quote:
most men don't get a "thrill" shooting up their leg from the words of a politician.
Except that isn't what Matthews said, which you would know if you got your information from somewhere other than Fox. What he said was (referencing the fact that he grew up in a time where racists ran local politics in a lot of the country-still do in some areas) that the possibility of a Black man becoming President gave him a thrill.

When Obama won the primaries and two days after we got a look at the "real" Sarah Palin we were thrilled too, but for a different reason. My wife had figured a way to hook up generators to coffins so we get free electricity from our ancestors spinning in their graves.

golfgod

Old 06-24-2009, 04:39 PM

58,691 posts, read 26,982,562 times
Do you really think he voted Republican?

Matthews has worked for four Democratic politicians. He was a presidential speechwriter for four years during the administration of Jimmy Carter. Among his efforts was Carter's infamous "malaise" speech, though the word "malaise" did not actually appear in the official transcript. He served as a top aide to long-time Speaker of the House of Representatives Tip O'Neill for six years. He worked in the U.S. Senate for five years on the staffs of Senators Frank Moss and Edmund Muskie before losing to Pennsylvania Congressman Joshua Eilberg in a U.S. House of Representatives Democratic primary in 1974. Matthews was raised in a conservative Irish Catholic [SIZE=2][COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]household[/color][/color][/SIZE]. As a young man he was a Goldwater Republican who was inspired to become a Democrat by Eugene McCarthy's pro-civil rights and anti-Vietnam war platforms. Despite having worked for Democrats, Matthews has said, "I'm more conservative than people think I am. ... I voted for George W. Bush in 2000", according to Media Matters for America.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:50 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,463,057 times
Quote:
Originally posted by Quick Enough
Do you really think he voted Republican?

Matthews has worked for four Democratic politicians. He was a presidential speechwriter for four years during the administration of Jimmy Carter. Among his efforts was Carter's infamous "malaise" speech, though the word "malaise" did not actually appear in the official transcript. He served as a top aide to long-time Speaker of the House of Representatives Tip O'Neill for six years. He worked in the U.S. Senate for five years on the staffs of Senators Frank Moss and Edmund Muskie before losing to Pennsylvania Congressman Joshua Eilberg in a U.S. House of Representatives Democratic primary in 1974. Matthews was raised in a conservative Irish Catholic [SIZE=2][COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]household[/color][/color][/SIZE]. As a young man he was a Goldwater Republican who was inspired to become a Democrat by Eugene McCarthy's pro-civil rights and anti-Vietnam war platforms. Despite having worked for Democrats, Matthews has said, "I'm more conservative than people think I am. ... I voted for George W. Bush in 2000", according to Media Matters for America.
I think so. Matthews never struck me as a far out progressive, but an old time-Kennedy/O'Neill liberal. I'm just surprised that he'd actually admit to voting for Bush right before the Iraq war. Shocked, actually.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:54 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,832,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
thefinalsay wrote;

Except that isn't what Matthews said, which you would know if you got your information from somewhere other than Fox. What he said was (referencing the fact that he grew up in a time where racists ran local politics in a lot of the country-still do in some areas) that the possibility of a Black man becoming President gave him a thrill.

When Obama won the primaries and two days after we got a look at the "real" Sarah Palin we were thrilled too, but for a different reason. My wife had figured a way to hook up generators to coffins so we get free electricity from our ancestors spinning in their graves.

golfgod
well, since I don't watch fox, nor do I have cable, that would make you wrong. I am sure you are used to it by now. oh, and matthews calling obama a "black" man, makes him a liar, and an idiot.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:58 PM

297 posts, read 348,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post

Yea, my favorite part was "No, I don't wanna have a 'nuanced' conversation about healthcare. This 'nuanced' conversation has led to the defeat of healthcare since Truman." LOL

It will be hard to top the Matthews Olberman feud anytime soon though.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:25 PM

23,624 posts, read 23,939,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
My wife had figured a way to hook up generators to coffins so we get free electricity from our ancestors spinning in their graves.
They were (and still are) spinning in their graves because of how enormous, intrusive and unconstitutional the Federal government has become.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies