Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 11:28 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
There is no silver lining for China. China depends on glacial run off for 40% of its water. Those glaciers are melting and may be gone 50-75 years from now. China also relies on the monsoons (semi-annual rains) for watering its crops of rice. Most climate change models show the monsoons weaking so China is in line for a major cut in its food supply. China's heartlend is drying out and clouds of dust blow into Beijing or Shanghai like they did in 1930s America in places like Chicago and Washington DC. China also has a smog bank over most of the Eastern third of China and the pollution reaches Tokyo and sometimes even California. Would you trade a thirsty, hungary, smoggy nation for the USA? If you think this is ok then do you know what they routinely do to industrial wastes like cyanide, lead, dioxin etc.
China is buying land and making farming deals all over the world They are also stocking up on commodities. They are preparing..but their way.
Use it, abuse it, throw it out and find a new one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 12:01 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,672,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compJockey View Post
If the author of that article is correct, gas prices will be lower (you'll save money if you drive).
The $23/month is likely based on average gas consumed by state.

Here's details:
Switchboard, from NRDC :: Pete Altman's Blog :: Americans Save on Fuel Bills Under ACES

And there is a link to a .pdf for detailing their methodology on that page as well.
That's the dumbest most retarded logic I've ever heard.

I get to pay thousands in extra taxes a year so the guvment and secret police dictate how I live my life, so I can save $23 a month.

Err.. No, they can get stuffed.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:12 AM

2,661 posts, read 2,902,996 times
Wanneroo, you aren't the first to misunderstand that article.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:56 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,672,657 times
Quote:
Wanneroo, you aren't the first to misunderstand that article.
No don't think so. I can add and subtract and know I don't need the Stasi monitoring what I do with my leaves in the fall or having to be on a five year waiting list for an obama motors 2 cyl putt putt car.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:45 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,035,628 times
Quote:
The author is saying that all american cars combined will consume 25% less gas (result of new fuel standards and incentives to buy fuel efficient vehicles).
It's exactly what I said, I can do that now but instead with the bill I'll be forced into it. That article is trying to say this bill has a benefit we already have , if you want to purchase a high efficiency vehicle you can do so. What's going to be interesting is to find out what it's going to cost to maintain these vehicles. In the case of the hybrids you have many things to break and inevitably that's going to drive the cost up to fix them. Many people are having problems now finding mechanics to fix their vbehicles and end up having to go to the dealer to get raped.

I have two vehicles, one car that gets reasonable gas mileage that I use daily and other activities and 72 ford f-250 that gets 6 miles to the gallon but I can tow a house with it and have but I use it sparingly. Maybe a few times a year but it's quite handy when I need it. Now if my truck breaks and I can't repair it am I 'm going to be able to pull around a load of logs, dirt, sand, refrigerator or other large item with a Prius? Keep in mind I live in area often referred to as the endless mountains. If you're pulling anything substantial you need a larger vehicle.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:59 AM

2,661 posts, read 2,902,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
It's exactly what I said, I can do that now but instead with the bill I'll be forced into it. That article is trying to say this bill has a benefit we already have , if you want to purchase a high efficiency vehicle you can do so. What's going to be interesting is to find out what it's going to cost to maintain these vehicles. In the case of the hybrids you have many things to break and inevitably that's going to drive the cost up to fix them. Many people are having problems now finding mechanics to fix their vbehicles and end up having to go to the dealer to get raped.

I have two vehicles, one car that gets reasonable gas mileage that I use daily and other activities and 72 ford f-250 that gets 6 miles to the gallon but I can tow a house with it and have but I use it sparingly. Maybe a few times a year but it's quite handy when I need it. Now if my truck breaks and I can't repair it am I 'm going to be able to pull around a load of logs, dirt, sand, refrigerator or other large item with a Prius? Keep in mind I live in area often referred to as the endless mountains. If you're pulling anything substantial you need a larger vehicle.
It still doesn't sound like you are getting what that article is saying.

The entire country will be consuming less gas with the new fuel efficiency standards (over what, 10 years right?). Less demand (consumption) - lower prices.
Again, regardless of what car you choose to drive.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:25 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,035,628 times
Quote:
It still doesn't sound like you are getting what that article is saying.
I understand exactly what the article says, it says because the government is going to ram fuel efficient cars down our throats we can save money. Yippee!

You ever price one of those cars?

FYI in case you haven't heard OPEC ultimately controls the price of gas as they have their hands on the spigot, see gas shortages in the 70's for reference. there goal is to keep just enough in the supply chain to keep the prices as high as they can yet make sure this plenty for people to buy. When the oil prices tumble so does the output. since they can manipulate the prices so easy less consumption will mean less supply. I beleive the aim is to keep the price around $3.00 a gallon as that's the magic number at the moment.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:47 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,691,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I understand exactly what the article says, it says because the government is going to ram fuel efficient cars down our throats we can save money. Yippee!

You ever price one of those cars?

FYI in case you haven't heard OPEC ultimately controls the price of gas as they have their hands on the spigot, see gas shortages in the 70's for reference. there goal is to keep just enough in the supply chain to keep the prices as high as they can yet make sure this plenty for people to buy. When the oil prices tumble so does the output. since they can manipulate the prices so easy less consumption will mean less supply. I beleive the aim is to keep the price around $3.00 a gallon as that's the magic number at the moment.
I believe you are correct, Coalman. Can't rep you just yet.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:18 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,488,295 times
It is the goal of certain rich self-proclaimed elites to make themselves modern day feudal lords and to reduce most people to the equivalent of serfs, piled up in the cities doing only their master's bidding. This bill will advance their agenda just as the NPS burning people out of their homes in Alaska and elsewhere did and the sierra club and other such groups trying to turn every bit of rural land into parks or preserves, eliminating rural jobs like logging, etc., also have..

Old 06-30-2009, 02:45 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,707,158 times
This is just another example of the typical liberal mindset that “they know what’s best for us”. They WILL create “green’ jobs even if it means destroying thousands of jobs in oil, natural gas, coal, manufacturing, agriculture, ect.

What many of you are missing is that the scientific community’s view on global warming is now irrelevant. The die has been cast, and the administration’s campaign of misinformation is nearly complete. This is about government regulation and financial control. It’s not about getting the science “right” or doing what’s right for the earth. If it was, they would currently be reading every line of the bill and debating both sides of the issue with the scientific community. Instead, the bill wasn’t pushed through with tons of extras and wasn’t even fully read by most members of the House. Their window for passing this pile of crap is closing, and they know it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies