Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2007, 03:12 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,682,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
The why have a government? And no matter what you think its purpose, how does it get financed without taking other people's money? Just keep printing more?
Two words, user fees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2007, 03:13 PM

2,971 posts, read 2,254,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie Dust View Post
Just throwing this out there. My son (18 yrs old) had knee surgery because of a football injury seven months ago. He had a graft put in replacing hi mls, miniscus and lateral ligaments. The boys have insurance through there dad, AMerican Airlines a United Health Care plan. His physical therapy was 3x's a week at an out of pocket of $30/per visit. Needless to say after two weeks I couldnt continue paying this; thus not recooperating as he should and his knee continues to give him problem. Doctor says PT but I cannot pay $90/week. Is it fair??? I dont think so. Yes this country needs a change in health care. This same son wants to join the armed forces but with his knee like this be cant and he has ALWAYS been a great athlete.
I am not unsympathetic to your sons injury, however you state you can't afford the co-pay, and you question is this fair? Well, life isn't necessarily fair but I am just wondering, do you have cable TV? Does everyone in your family have a cell-phone? Do you drive a new car, go to movies, have a vacation planned this summer? I am just asking not because you should not have or do these things but when one says they can't afford something, sometimes it really boils down to priorities. And is it fair that others or the gov't pay for his treatment?

Old 04-16-2007, 03:15 PM

68,303 posts, read 54,271,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Two words, user fees.

Let's hear a practical plan for that simplstic solution.

Old 04-16-2007, 03:42 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,327,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie Dust View Post
Just throwing this out there. My son (18 yrs old) had knee surgery because of a football injury seven months ago. He had a graft put in replacing hi mls, miniscus and lateral ligaments. The boys have insurance through there dad, AMerican Airlines a United Health Care plan. His physical therapy was 3x's a week at an out of pocket of $30/per visit. Needless to say after two weeks I couldnt continue paying this; thus not recooperating as he should and his knee continues to give him problem. Doctor says PT but I cannot pay $90/week. Is it fair??? I dont think so. Yes this country needs a change in health care. This same son wants to join the armed forces but with his knee like this be cant and he has ALWAYS been a great athlete.
His surgery is recent and the football injury 7 mo ago? It seems strange that the policy won't cover the rehab services that go along with the recuperation from this surgery. Have you gone back to the billing person at the surgeon's office to discover what is what? Have you rec'd an EOB (Explanation of Benefits) that explain what the insurance has paid and denied? I would also check with your primary care provider to see if they can help. Did he have school athletic insurance? (notice my assumption )- that should cover somethings also.

Old 04-16-2007, 03:51 PM

2,971 posts, read 2,254,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
His surgery is recent and the football injury 7 mo ago? It seems strange that the policy won't cover the rehab services that go along with the recuperation from this surgery. Have you gone back to the billing person at the surgeon's office to discover what is what? Have you rec'd an EOB (Explanation of Benefits) that explain what the insurance has paid and denied? I would also check with your primary care provider to see if they can help. Did he have school athletic insurance? (notice my assumption )- that should cover somethings also.
They are paying. The thirty dollars is the co-pay. PT is very expensive.

Old 04-16-2007, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Against!! I'm always against forcefully taking money (extortion) from one individual to give it to another.

Some here have called those of us who do not support this redistribution of wealth, heartless. I would suggest that those of you who DO support this act are being more heartless in two ways:

1. By advocating taking other people's money.
2. By providing for those who don't want to achieve, a means for them to continue their unproductive lifestyles.

So when a hurricane ravages the gulf coast or a major quake hits CA there should be no government response, right? After all, those people knew what the possibilities are, let 'em all deal with their own problems, is that how you'd have a government treat its people?

Old 04-16-2007, 05:56 PM

341 posts, read 1,485,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
So when a hurricane ravages the gulf coast or a major quake hits CA there should be no government response, right? After all, those people knew what the possibilities are, let 'em all deal with their own problems, is that how you'd have a government treat its people?
There's a BIG difference between TEMPORARILY providing assistance and providing LONGTERM assistance. If everyone who needed help were temporarily in need or had become completely unable to care for themselves ( paralysis)... I'd be alot more flexible and generous. But the majority of hands held out want those palms filled endlessly. And they damn sure aren't helpless & unable to work. I've seen people who can't read keep jobs. Yet the lazy butt who graduated highschool demands I pay his medical or rent? BUGGER! For that majority I say get your OWN! I did!

Old 04-16-2007, 06:33 PM

I just want to hear from one of the 'opposed', one of you who view healthcare as a handout, I just want one of you to tell me how you get through a week without being involved with something the government provided, like:

The roads you drive on

Air Traffic Control System

Inspection of meat and produce

Approved AND tested drugs

Etc, etc, etc....................

You're all so happy to whine about handouts and that people should take care of themselves. Any of you actually do that 100%? If not it's only a matter of degree, I'd bet my $ that we all take advantage one way or another. Ya'll' talk the talk, who can honestly say they walk the walk?

Old 04-16-2007, 07:25 PM

56 posts, read 161,262 times
I have a question here on the whole universal healt care issue.
If we suddenly dump another 40 to 60 million people into the health care system where are the doctors going to come from to handle this load?
The AMA has strictly controlled access to med schools and strongly limited the number of doctors that graduate to keep doctor earnings way up there.
In most med schools, doctors now have to take several business courses on maxing their earnings and investments, but no courses on nutrition, yet America has an morbid weight problem - shows where the AMA priorities are, but seriously, how will universal care really care for anyone, except the very rich who will (like England and Canada) have access to private doctor services?

Old 04-16-2007, 07:29 PM
x4fscvdvd

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shammy View Post
I have a question here on the whole universal healt care issue.
If we suddenly dump another 40 to 60 million people into the health care system where are the doctors going to come from to handle this load?
The AMA has strictly controlled access to med schools and strongly limited the number of doctors that graduate to keep doctor earnings way up there.
In most med schools, doctors now have to take several business courses on maxing their earnings and investments, but no courses on nutrition, yet America has an morbid weight problem - shows where the AMA priorities are, but seriously, how will universal care really care for anyone, except the very rich who will (like England and Canada) have access to private doctor services?
Excellent point! You just added another bullet to the positive list. It will create more jobs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies