U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: The legalization of marijuana
Yes, legalize it completely...with regulations similar to beer and tobacco 118 74.21%
Decriminalize it 17 10.69%
No, leave it 9 5.66%
Make punishments harsher 15 9.43%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-15-2009, 10:16 PM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,107 posts, read 35,114,315 times
Reputation: 4899

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
Are you for or against the legalization of Marijuana.

Strongly against legalization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-15-2009, 10:21 PM
 
Location: Avondale, Chicago
14,403 posts, read 26,161,270 times
Reputation: 9420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Strongly against legalization.
Can you think of anything prohibition is accomplishing besides keeping drug cartels in business?

One thing it hasn't accomplished is eradicating the drug.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2009, 10:23 PM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,107 posts, read 35,114,315 times
Reputation: 4899
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Can you think of anything prohibition is accomplishing besides keeping drug cartels in business?

One thing it hasn't accomplished is eradicating the drug.
I have seen to many "end results" of those who got hooked on Mary Jane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2009, 10:36 PM
 
1,780 posts, read 2,089,236 times
Reputation: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I have seen to many "end results" of those who got hooked on Mary Jane
End results? really? you mean burnt out hippies and stoners from your time? Yeah because they think differently you would think they are bad.

this is from a recent post of mine but it applies here as well...


When will you people get it in your head that if it isnt your body it isnt your concern...I was once on your side of this argument, recently I might add. But I looked at all the facts and not just what i thought I knew and was being fed. I spoke to women who had abortions and spoke to some that where forced to have a child...It changed my views overnight...just read way back in this forum and you will see my arguments.

It just shows you that some people are willing to learn all sides of an argument and not just the two side commonly seen.


IMO people are just plain stupid these days... they will follow the media and government where ever they take them and beleive every word they say. You all need to wake up, have some coffee and analyze your life. Think back...have you ever been on what is considered the rebellious side? Have you ever disobeyed your superiors...if you say no then you are clearly lying or aren't old enough to have experienced life.

I ask that everyone please turn off the TV, turn off the Computer...stay off the internet(phones too) go outside and interact with your fellow man, outside of work, church, and the store. Meet people in the park, bar, restaurant, sporting event...live life and get a perspective that actually matters and counts.


Why is it that people need to be concerned with issues that do not concern them. I ask you sir, do you or have you ever drank? Have you ever smoke, had a cup of coffee or a soda? Have you ever driven while tired?

I also want to know from out previous encounters....have you ever really lived? What have you accomplished in life? I can bet that I have done more than you have in my life than you have in yours and I am assuming that I am far younger than you. When I die no matter when that it...tomorrow or even 70 years from now, I will be able to look back and know that I lived a great life, a rewarding life. I had adventure in my life. Not an office or window view of a city skyline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2009, 10:41 PM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,107 posts, read 35,114,315 times
Reputation: 4899
Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
End results? really? you mean burnt out hippies and stoners from your time? Yeah because they think differently you would think they are bad.
No, I have seen those who, while under the influence of MJ - seriously hurt themselves.

I have seen people who, while under the influence of MJ - started ... "experimenting" with other, much harder drugs - and in a couple of cases, it resulted in the death of the person.

I have seen cases of, while under the influence of MJ, commit acts of violence - including domestic violence.

I have seen cases of, while under the influence of MJ, suicide - one death caused by the individual playing Russian roulette.

And more.

OBTW - this is recent history - not ancient history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2009, 10:48 PM
 
8,743 posts, read 10,245,099 times
Reputation: 3385
We've got enough idiots to deal with.

Why legalize Marijuana and get more?

Forget it. I don't want it legalized. As if deaths related to alcohol and smoking are not bad enough. Besides, I would HATE to breathe some of that **** in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2009, 11:02 PM
 
1,780 posts, read 2,089,236 times
Reputation: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
We've got enough idiots to deal with.

Why legalize Marijuana and get more?

Forget it. I don't want it legalized. As if deaths related to alcohol and smoking are not bad enough. Besides, I would HATE to breathe some of that **** in.
And that is your choice. But why not restrict it to homes? Make it illegal to just smoke in public....If you keep it in your own home...there is no harm done to anyone. Plus, who says you have to smoke it. there are other ways. I use it legally with my medical card and I can say that I am smarter than most on this site. I am going to school for a business degree, small business management degree, marketing degree and a minor in fashion merchandising. These are not easy classes and somehow I am on one of the top students in my programs of study.

I work two jobs and am starting my own business. I live an active life and eat right...so who is to say that just becasue you smoke weed you are dumb, lazy, and slow. Sorry but I am proof that is a false statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2009, 11:22 PM
 
Location: North Durham
113 posts, read 234,541 times
Reputation: 100
As a 'nearly 50' year old and one who up till 6 years ago (moved to US) smoked MJ from the age of 14 years..... I completed 5 years of college 2 Of Law and 3 Psychology. I always found MJ a way of relaxation. It never interfered with my goal, but in fact, allowed me some 'shut off' time!... The problem is when it is used as an 'escape' and for the wrong reasons!! I never! even anticipated taking anything stronger!!...My evaluation is that used in the right way, and for the right reasons MJ Can be good.....Unlike alcohol, it doesn't destroy brain cells, it just 'rests' them.... Unfortunatly, lack of knoweldge and historic ignorance determines peoples views. The Legal system cannot decide it's direction because it's an entity that; on the one hand need to be legalised, (but how does the government make money out of it, like tobacco!) but on the other hand is very hard to police ! lets face it, it can be grown in any garden, with limited know-how. How does any government control that !!?? So much 'bad press' has gone before, without true results, that it will always remain a controversy both within 'user' groups and the powers that control them.!! What a shame not all historic issues are heeded. I write this as a person who has used MJ to benefit my goals and who has achieved them!..My position is.....I can't condone nor can I condemn!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2009, 11:30 PM
 
Location: Heartland Florida
9,324 posts, read 23,748,237 times
Reputation: 4900
Smoking marijuana is disgusting and I hate it. However, I hate drug dealers more and want to see them eliminated. The only solution is legalization. On the other hand I see hemp as a beneficial plant for fibers and biofuels and if I could grow it I could really benefit from that research. No chemical substance should be illegal to possess at any time. Only use in public places should be regulated. So while cannabis would be legal to grow, or use personally away from others, it could still be illegal to smoke pot in buildings, or to sell it to children. As it is they sure have no trouble getting it now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2009, 11:56 PM
 
Location: North Durham
113 posts, read 234,541 times
Reputation: 100
I agree !! Problem is... there is no 'quick fix' solution !!...As a Grand-mother. At this point I would never want my grandchildren to do either. However, experience tells me that, maybe not all, but some of them will experience either drug or alcohol. I believe it is our duty, as grand-parent, to be truthful based on 'fact' .....I am totally truthful with my kids and I strongly encourage them to be, open minded, not only to my 'mis-judgements' but to their's too....We cannot make things better unless we own up!!...Nobody should 'ever' be ashamed' for a wrong decision!!! EVER !! as long as a lesson is learned by it !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:38 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top