U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2009, 09:43 PM
NSX

866 posts, read 1,833,643 times

Advertisements

Shocked the heck out of me when I heard this news. RIP, MJ

Old 06-25-2009, 09:44 PM

13,694 posts, read 15,593,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
What is the death toll of the World every day? 15k? Where are their mourners?
People do die every day, every second of a day on any point on earth.

In popular American culture, if you can step out of callous mode and understand that there are people who do follow pop culture and music and film. As an American when someone who has been a part of so many lives - although in a distant way like Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett they had an affect on our consciousness, and they leave an impact.

When they die, some people will mourn.

People do identify with pop culture icons.

Doesn't take away from the fact that Sally Sue died today also.

It's just our way of coping with a loss of a cultural icon, such as Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett are.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:50 PM

23,851 posts, read 19,796,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
What is the death toll of the World every day? 15k? Where are their mourners?
Few people come along that are capable of creating a common bond among the masses. Michael Jackson was one of those people and his accomplishments shouldn't be minimized, in my opinion.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:58 PM

38,854 posts, read 20,111,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
Absolutely. Farrah Fawcett is barely getting a mention in the media. She fought a long hard battle, and the media is fixated on Jackson. It just goes to show that freak shows always draw more attention.

As to all the people here who are "mourning" Jackson's death...give me a break. How can you mourn somebody you never met, never knew, and never had any contact or relationship with whatsoever?
I don't view this as a contest over who is more worthy of being mourned. I think many of us are in shock over the deaths of both Farrah and Michael and are struggling to make sense of it all. May they both rest in peace.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:01 PM

3,640 posts, read 4,397,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
I don't view this as a contest over who is more worthy of being mourned. I think many of us are in shock over the deaths of both Farrah and Michael and are struggling to make sense of it all. May they both rest in peace.
Not trying to start anything here, but what is there to make sense of? Death comes to all of us.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:04 PM

10,479 posts, read 13,829,579 times
Quote:
But I don't mourn the death of people I've never met. I can feel bad for them and their families, but to actually "mourn" them? That's just plain weird.
Really? So you've never had a musician, actor/actress, artist, politician, etc. that you really liked or did like at one time in your life, die & felt something? So when they died you just said "well, rack 'em up" & that was it? I'm sorry, most human beings, regardless if they've met the person or not, have been influenced, affected, what have you at some point in their lives so it's completely natural that we/they will feel sorrow when they die. I don't know about you, but I can assure you that if I were alive & of an age that I could understand, I would've mourned JFK's death....or Lincoln's death for that matter. It's not about stalking (your accusation that I was a stalker was fun, thanks! but oh so wrong sweetie), it's about liking a certain person & what they have done & being sad that they're gone. It's really not rocket science.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:09 PM

7,352 posts, read 9,179,430 times
In the end, I feel very sorry for the families of both Michael Jackson and Farah Fawcett. But I do not mourn them, because I do not know them. For all we know, Michael Jackson was abusing his own children and Farrah Fawcett was a mean and selfish person. It's important to recognize and acknowledge their contributions and achievements, professionally, but I think that to put them on some kind of pedestal, personally, is a little naive.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:14 PM

4,248 posts, read 8,115,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
In the end, I feel very sorry for the families of both Michael Jackson and Farah Fawcett. But I do not mourn them, because I do not know them. For all we know, Michael Jackson was abusing his own children and Farrah Fawcett was a mean and selfish person. It's important to recognize and acknowledge their contributions and achievements, professionally, but I think that to put them on some kind of pedestal, personally, is a little naive.
People are not so much trying to put them on pedestals, they are acknowledging that a piece of their own life just went away.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:17 PM

7,352 posts, read 9,179,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
People are not so much trying to put them on pedestals, they are acknowledging that a piece of their own life just went away.
I think a few people on this thread--and elsewhere--are positively putting Jackson on a pedestal. And however much I admire and respect his work, I doubt very seriously that, as a person, his passing warrants all-day, full-time coverage. But that's just my opinion.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:21 PM

2,007 posts, read 3,440,453 times
Quote:
Michael Jackson clearly had mental issues, the least of which was that he was obsessed with children, and also the fact that he wanted to be White.

His physical transformation over two decades was astounding. He went from a dark ebony skin tone to an almost alibaster white. He completely altered (and disfigured) his nose, and had his lips reduced in size. He wore makeup and a wig to make him look more feminine and more Caucasian.

He also "acquired" children who were clearly Caucasian and not at all Black; therefore, quite obviously they were not his own biological offspring.

How the Black community can continue to idolize a Black man who would so blatantly shun everything about himself that was Black (making himself look as Caucasian as possible, and only having Caucasian children)...I'll never understand.

Michael Jackson was an affront to all Black people, and he was probably (although this hasn't been proven) a pedophile.

I hope this thread doesn't turn into some hero worship thread, because I just don't get the sentiments.
Amen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies