U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2009, 04:54 PM

317 posts, read 695,521 times

Advertisements

For those wondering why Michael is receiving more coverage than farrah well that is simply because he was a much bigger star. Yes farrah is beautiful and a legend in america but michael is a legend to the whole planet. There is a candle light vigil in almost every single country for michael. This man was the ultimate entertainer who inspired generations of younger celebrities who tried to imitate him. But noone can close because Michael is one of a kind.

Old 06-26-2009, 04:56 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,265,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I haven't followed MJ's career. Has he ever been convicted of a criminal charge?
Whoops -- I read your post wrong, my apologies!

Old 06-26-2009, 04:57 PM

10,597 posts, read 21,260,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy1980 View Post
For those wondering why Michael is receiving more coverage than farrah well that is simply because he was a much bigger star. Yes farrah is beautiful and a legend in america but michael is a legend to the whole planet. There is a candle light vigil in almost every single country for michael. This man was the ultimate entertainer who inspired generations of younger celebrities who tried to imitate him. But noone can close because Michael is one of a kind.
You know, it bothered me at first..
Why? Because the press/paparazzi was after her so much during her illness that they wouldn't leave her alone.. It's weird how that now that she's passed, they don't seem to give a crap.. onto the next story of the day..

But, I'm actually glad she's not getting press or as much press.

This allows her loved ones to do what they need to do in private or at least with as little press as possible.

Old 06-26-2009, 04:59 PM

10,597 posts, read 21,260,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Out of curiosity, if a guy moved in next door to you and liked having slumber parties with prepubescent boys not related to him and had been charged with molestation though not convicted of it would you ask this guy to babysit? Would you honestly ignore all strange behavior on his part and just shrug your shoulders and figure that since he wasn't convicted there must not be a problem?

ReallY?
Sorry, even though you changed what you wrote; I think it's a good post. Not necessarily to who you quoted to, but in general.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:02 PM

3,593 posts, read 10,643,727 times
Whatever his problems in life, I hope that he has found peace in death. RIP Micheal Jackson - you gave many a lot of enjoyment with your music.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:03 PM

27 posts, read 30,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Do you give everyone who had bad parents the same break you're giving to MJ?
I'm not sure why you are implying that I am giving MJ a break, but in case you missed the verdict, a court of law found him not guilty.

Quote:
I'll have to read more of what you write to see if it's because he was one of your personal icons or if you feel that everyone's past has a bearing on who they are.
You seem to want to hold me responsible for what appears to be nothing more than a difference of opinion. You obviously think that he was a pedophile and I don't. That being said, I am entitled to my opinion and IMHO, he may have been a little weird but what I find even more weird is that you have taken my statement and turned it into a reason to judge and interrogate me despite the fact that you don't know either one of us on a personal level.

Quote:
Do you feel that criminals of all sorts are that way because of their parents and should thusly be forgiven for their transgressions?
Excuse you? Oh and "thusly" is NOT a word.

Quote:
The vast number of families are dysfunctional.
I'm quite curious about your feelings about everyone who comes from a dysfunctional family.
When do they become responsible for themselves and their actions?
Did someone die and give you your amateurs license to interrogate posters on a message board or was it the grand prize out of a Cracker Jack box?

Old 06-26-2009, 05:06 PM

10,479 posts, read 13,829,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Why? Because the press/paparazzi was after her so much during her illness that they wouldn't leave her alone.. It's weird how that now that she's passed, they don't seem to give a crap.. onto the next story of the day..

This allows her loved ones to do what they need to do in private or at least with as little press as possible.
I know they did a 20/20 on her last night I believe. And I think there's another tonight. I believe she's not getting as much press is because her death was expected, Michael's was not. Regardless, it's sad about both of them, they were both icons of their time.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:07 PM

4,248 posts, read 8,115,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy1980 View Post
True. Back in the 80s MJ's Thriller and Billy Jean and Beat It were as muchly played in Russia. His music was electrifying no matter the language. The glove, the jacket, the moonwalk - those didn't need translation. I think the greatness measures by transcending the borders, same with the Beatles and Elvis. I was not aware of Charlie Angels.... Still am not familiar, not much re-runs of Charlie Angels. Of course beautiful women transcend borders, too, like Sophie Loren, Gina Lollobrigida, Brigit Bardo, Rachel Welch... But no, Farrah Fawcett wasn't the world-wide star. Not saying she doesn't deserve mourning. Just saying that awareness of her was much narrower internationally, unlike of MJ.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post

I agree it pronanly is better for her family to mourn in private. But she still is receiving a little press since afterall she is also an icon but just not as well known as michael.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
True. Back in the 80s MJ's Thriller and Billy Jean and Beat It were as muchly played in Russia. His music was electrifying no matter the language. The glove, the jacket, the moonwalk - those didn't need translation. I think the greatness measures by transcending the borders, same with the Beatles and Elvis. I was not aware of Charlie Angels.... Still am not familiar, not much re-runs of Charlie Angels. Of course beautiful women transcend borders, too, like Sophie Loren, Gina Lollobrigida, Brigit Bardo, Rachel Welch... But no, Farrah Fawcett wasn't the world-wide star. Not saying she doesn't deserve mourning. Just saying that awareness of her was much narrower internationally, unlike of MJ.
I agree this is about popularity and demand and the media outlets know that more people want to talk about michael versus farrah so they do this for ratings as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies