Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2009, 02:58 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times

Advertisements

Yup!

Like all plastic performers, it was Big Pharma what done MJ in.

Phonies always go out with prescription drugs.

Real performers go out with real drugs

Like Elvis, Michael Jackson Died Of Serotonergic Medications

http://www.kansascity.com/stargazing/story/1282600.html (broken link)

Old 06-26-2009, 03:00 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
I was in my car yesterday when the news of Michael Jackson being "rushed" the hospital came across - and the reports went downhill from there. I couldn't believe it. I mean, just hours earlier came the news of the death of an "Angel", Farah Fawcett - but, that was, unfortunately, expected. I thought it was so sad that she and Ryan O'Neil never did get married.

But, now, Michael Jackson??????

I have always liked Michael Jacksons music - to this day - as a much older guy I have always played it. And, I must admit, I never bought into the child abuse allegations that were the subject of the trial - I saw those allegations as being nothing more than an attempt to extort money from Jackson.

Michael was a consummate performer. He was IMO, a genius - with an unbelievable amount of creative genius that knew no end. He seemed willing to do almost anything to expand his craft.

And, IMHO, he will be missed. By people worldwide. AS WILL Farah!

My thoughts and prayers go first to Michaels children who were, by all accounts, adored by their father. Then my thoughts and prayers to his family - I cannot even imagine what they are going through right now.

Rest in Peace Michael. Rest in Peace.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:07 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Yup!

Like all plastic performers, it was Big Pharma what done MJ in.

Phonies always go out with prescription drugs.

Real performers go out with real drugs

Like Elvis, Michael Jackson Died Of Serotonergic Medications

Report: Overdose of prescription drugs may have killed Michael Jackson - Kansas City Star (http://www.kansascity.com/stargazing/story/1282600.html - broken link)
The same drugs they push on school kids these days.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:31 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Is your collection of the music of your day classifiable as an obssession as well?

So is this a generational thing that keeps you posting here on this thread? You diss MJ because you are actually older and could not connect with his music?
He had nothing to do with my generation, you're right.
No, my music collection is quite eclectic.
I'm not dissing him at all, I'm actually quite neutral on him.
It's the over the top reaction by people like you that I'm remarking upon.

I heard two great MJ jokes today:

1. BB King wrote a song in tribute: The Thriller is Gone.
2. MJ died of food poisoning: An 8 year old bone.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:37 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
When you get right down to it, it's almost a replay of Elvis Presley's death, isn't it? Celebrities who shut themselves out of the real world and turned to drugs.

There was a long (very, very excessively long) discussion about Jackson at my workplace today. My coworkers were rhapsodizing about him--they felt that he was the only entertainer who could pull in huge audiences. I kept my mouth shut, but I was thinking that the Rolling Stones could possibly have something to say about that!

Yeah, it's sad when a star dies. But I'm afraid that I don't consider Michael Jackson to be more or less of a human being than anyone else.

Old 06-26-2009, 04:11 PM

27 posts, read 36,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
You are quite right you have said enough already, Formercaliforniagirl!

He was never CONVICTED of molesting anybody, but puritanical haters who think their crap doesn't stink will always believe the worst, no matter if convicted or not.
Of course this could never have been scheming adults who raked in over two million dollars, by playing on an adult who was naive enough to leave himself open to opportunist and con artists.
Michael definitely had some mental issues but so would anyone growing up in a bubble, unable to have normal friends and relationships.

I definitely believe he was one of the greatest entertainers ever to live, irregardless of race or musical genre.
He cared deeply for people, especially the dispossessed of society and the world, maybe because he felt that way himself.

If you don't care for him move on and let others reflect on the positive memories his music played in their lives.
I grew up listening to and enjoying Michael's music and career from the very beginning of the Jackson 5's career. He is one of the greatest artist/musical genius' to ever live. Did he have his issues, yes he did, but as you stated above, given his circumstances and the abuse he suffered at the hands of his father, who wouldn't? I am also one of more than a few people who does not believe that he was a pedophile. His music is timeless and through it he will live forever. May he rest in peace.

Excellent post.

Old 06-26-2009, 04:20 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenacious01 View Post
I grew up listening to and enjoying Michael's music and career from the very beginning of the Jackson 5's career. He is one of the greatest artist/musical genius' to ever live. Did he have his issues, yes he did, but as you stated above, given his circumstances and the abuse he suffered at the hands of his father, who wouldn't? I am also one of more than a few people who does not believe that he was a pedophile. His music is timeless and through it he will live forever. May he rest in peace.
Do you give everyone who had bad parents the same break you're giving to MJ?
I'll have to read more of what you write to see if it's because he was one of your personal icons or if you feel that everyone's past has a bearing on who they are.
Do you feel that criminals of all sorts are that way because of their parents and should thusly be forgiven for their transgressions?
The vast number of families are dysfunctional.
I'm quite curious about your feelings about everyone who comes from a dysfunctional family.
When do they become responsible for themselves and their actions?

Old 06-26-2009, 04:32 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
I haven't followed MJ's career. Has he ever been convicted of a criminal charge?

Old 06-26-2009, 04:40 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Has he ever been convicted of a criminal charge?
No

Old 06-26-2009, 04:41 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,524,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget69 View Post
That's exactly what I was thinking ndfmnlf. Michael Jackson created hundreds if not thousands of jobs. That's what we should be remembering him for. Same with Adolf Hitler, he created millions of jobs in Germany just before he slaughtered half of Europe.

Please don't judge people by the atrocities they commit, judge them by the jobs they create.
Don't be stupid. MJ was not Hitler, he didn't slaughter anyone. You can't even prove that he sexually molested anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies