Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 04:41 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,865,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Gas tax has bigger issues. Like sales tax, it should have been a percentage of the price, as opposed to being flat regardless of the gas price. It has hurt many government agencies as gas prices have gone up (and they will continue to). So their costs are up, but revenue has been stagnant (if not down).

Having said that, it is only fiscally conservative and fiscally responsible, to consider cutting down our thirst for oil. 10 million barrels per day (on vehicles alone) is no joke. Why is it that those who proclaim to be fiscally conservative are also the same ones opposed to conservation and all for the ever increasing trade deficits that costs this nation, not just jobs, but trillions of dollars every year.
fiscal conservatives realize that our biggest trade deficits are not even related to oil. our biggest trade deficits are with china and japan, and we import oil from neither country.

our trade deficit is due to the loss of manufacturing jobs and, oddly enough, this new cap and trade will hurt manufacturing, thereby probably increasing our trade deficits further. (and certainly making life more miserable for americans).

btw, i drive a civic but i don't think it makes a bit of difference in the global scheme of things. i noticed that our government ordered cars that are getting 19 miles per gallon in their new fleet orders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 04:46 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,681,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
as many of you know, I think the federal government sucks. every time I suggest shrinking the size of the federal government or ask what good the government does, all I get is, "I guess you don't want roads."

really?

this is the best you got?

have you been on a highway recently? isn't the huge gas tax we pay supposed to be used to fix roads? seriously, does anyone out there honestly think that we couldn't cut spending by at least 75%?

and please, big government supporters, get an argument better than roads, or local police. really, what does the government provide for the trillions they extort?
Are you kidding me? We pay the SMALLEST gas tax in the modern world. IT does not cover the maintainence on EXISTING highways much less new ones. We need to spend MORE to fix highways and bridges so we don't have them falling into the river with cars on them. I live in the south and it would be nice if they would finish I-22 which has been about 10 years and still not complete!

Old 06-26-2009, 04:49 PM

37,829 posts, read 21,902,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCity09 View Post
roads? how about the military?
Protecting our rights and freedoms with laws, and maintaining our national security with a well funded and trained military, and that should be just about all there is to it.

Old 06-26-2009, 04:49 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,865,603 times
what the heck was our stimulus plan supposed to do then besides infrastructure? it did not provide many jobs, so what was it for?

Old 06-26-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Are you kidding me? We pay the SMALLEST gas tax in the modern world. IT does not cover the maintainence on EXISTING highways much less new ones. We need to spend MORE to fix highways and bridges so we don't have them falling into the river with cars on them. I live in the south and it would be nice if they would finish I-22 which has been about 10 years and still not complete!
That should be the state government's job, not the federal government.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
what the heck was our stimulus plan supposed to do then besides infrastructure? it did not provide many jobs, so what was it for?
Ask yourself what is involved in poring cement or laying blacktop on preexisting roads. Gravel, water, petroleum, tar, diesel fuel, and some construction workers to do the task. I really cannot see how many jobs spin off from that, besides the gravel pits and the gasoline stations. By the way, all those jobs are temporary, maybe three months at most, and then the towns and workers are back where they were, unemployed, broke, and staring at a huge deficit to pay down.

I can't see how any business owner, passing by some guys laying blacktop on I-22, will suddenly run out and hire some new full-time employees, or rehire those he laid off because of a three week road work job. but then again, I'm not a bean counter in Washington either.

I also seriously doubt the construction company doing the work on I-22, will run out and buy a $200,000 Caterpillar road grader, for a temporary road construction job either, then again... I'm not a Washington politician pushing an agenda either.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:10 PM

45,024 posts, read 60,017,539 times
In MD much of the stimulus money went not to "shovel ready" projects but to pay current expenses, primarily salaries and pre-existing bond indebtedness. So next year, barring a turn around the state will be in worse shape than this year. Locally my town took a 40% hit in State Aid for Police and 30% in gas tax transfers.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:19 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,681,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
That should be the state government's job, not the federal government.
No it should not be. States care for local roads and state highways. National highways and the interstate system are Federal- and should be. And if we ever did say "OK all highways are state responsibility", do you know who would scream to high heaven? The RED states! Especially those out west that have many many miles of highways per resident. States like Montana, Wyoming, Utah and the Dakotas could not even BEGIN to pay to maintain highways that are damaged by harsh winter weather and require heavy maintenance expenses. Their gas tax would be like $5 a gallon! It is because the URBAN states where there are many people per mile of highway pay the tax that they are able to maintain their roads. And I am not complaining about it because that is what the country should do. What is good for Montana is good for the country and what is good for the country is good for me!

Old 06-26-2009, 06:15 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,829,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
NC pays one of the highest gas taxes. also, they have plenty of money. look at the vehicle registration tax, the vehicle inspection tax, ect. they are extorting money from every angle.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:17 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,829,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Gas tax has bigger issues. Like sales tax, it should have been a percentage of the price, as opposed to being flat regardless of the gas price. It has hurt many government agencies as gas prices have gone up (and they will continue to). So their costs are up, but revenue has been stagnant (if not down).

Having said that, it is only fiscally conservative and fiscally responsible, to consider cutting down our thirst for oil. 10 million barrels per day (on vehicles alone) is no joke. Why is it that those who proclaim to be fiscally conservative are also the same ones opposed to conservation and all for the ever increasing trade deficits that costs this nation, not just jobs, but trillions of dollars every year.

I drive a honda fit, and would have gladly drove an EV-1. I freaking hate oil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies