Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 06:21 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,841,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
You know what's sad, thefinalsay. Someone started a thread the day that tragedy in DC happened and warned that conservatives would try to use the tragedy to condemn mass transit.

Conservatives jumped on that accusation, accusing the individual of being classless and barbaric.

And yet, here you are, doing PRECISELY what that poster predicted.

You should be absolutely ashamed of yourself.

But, since you won't be, please explain this extension of your logic:

number killed in the DC Metro accident: 9

Number of people killed in automobile accidents every YEAR in the United States:

about 42,000.

Shall we assume that when government is not in control, FAR more people are murdered in automobiles?
I didn't condem mass transit. read the first page of the thread when I said that I wish obama would have followed through with what he said about updating the railroads. he hasn't of course. I was pointing out more the employees of the metro. they hire some world class morons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 07:04 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,700,997 times
^^
Well, clearly she did her job as best she could once realizing the computer had failed and, therefore, was not a moron:

Metro driver called a hero who saved lives in crash - CNN.com

Old 06-28-2009, 07:09 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times
Instead of possibly making our roads worse to save a buck, how about cutting off funding to other nations, especially those that have proven to be no friend of ours? Think about how much money we would save.
Casper

Old 06-28-2009, 07:19 AM

843 posts, read 1,297,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
LOL. The theory behind using the roads and police examples is that they are so simple, a caveman could understand them. The theory doesn't always hold up in practice, I guess. But I'm sure that you've actually been given many, many other examples that didn't sink in either. Things like the national weather service, or the air traffic control system, or food and drug inspections, or maintaining diplomatic relations with other nations, or running the judicial system that backs up the rule of law, or the national park system, or basic medical research, or disaster relief and assistance, or building codes and inspectors, or on and on and on. I know I've seen these many other examples presented in various threads at various times...why haven't you?

These are, of course, all examples of the sorts of things that the private sector is incapable of providing effectively, and that troglodyte right-wingers derive benefit from every day but are too cheap and selfish to be willing to pick up any of the tab for. They'd rather just be lazy welfare recipients who suck off the government teat, slurping up public goods and services while never paying for any of them. Irresponsible, freeloading, wastes of time, if you ask me. So one of the real questions might be how many freaking examples do you people need? And another might be why should anybody bother to provide examples at all when you're basically just not man enough to play the game by the rules to begin with?

What world are you living in? All of these things have been provided effectively by the private sector. And much cheaper than government can do it. Including roads, police and fire. There is no reason why the police and roads couldn't be privatized right now. We would clearly all be better off.

Please explain why these things can't be provided for by private industry. I mean, by your thinking then fountain pens could be provided for by the government.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:23 AM

843 posts, read 1,297,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
No it should not be. States care for local roads and state highways. National highways and the interstate system are Federal- and should be. And if we ever did say "OK all highways are state responsibility", do you know who would scream to high heaven? The RED states! Especially those out west that have many many miles of highways per resident. States like Montana, Wyoming, Utah and the Dakotas could not even BEGIN to pay to maintain highways that are damaged by harsh winter weather and require heavy maintenance expenses. Their gas tax would be like $5 a gallon! It is because the URBAN states where there are many people per mile of highway pay the tax that they are able to maintain their roads. And I am not complaining about it because that is what the country should do. What is good for Montana is good for the country and what is good for the country is good for me!
The constitution specifically forbids the feds from having anything to do with roads. So, you are wrong.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:26 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
as many of you know, I think the federal government sucks. every time I suggest shrinking the size of the federal government or ask what good the government does, all I get is, "I guess you don't want roads."

really?

this is the best you got?

have you been on a highway recently? isn't the huge gas tax we pay supposed to be used to fix roads? seriously, does anyone out there honestly think that we couldn't cut spending by at least 75%?

and please, big government supporters, get an argument better than roads, or local police. really, what does the government provide for the trillions they extort?

Got a big fat democrats only slush fund set aside for 2010 that used to be called a "stimulus package". Our kids will pay to have democras steal the 2010 mid-terms.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:07 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,700,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPoleMarathoner View Post
What world are you living in? All of these things have been provided effectively by the private sector. And much cheaper than government can do it. Including roads, police and fire. There is no reason why the police and roads couldn't be privatized right now. We would clearly all be better off.

Please explain why these things can't be provided for by private industry. I mean, by your thinking then fountain pens could be provided for by the government.
I implore you to study the private police and fire companies of the 19th century and see how well they worked. There's a reason they were socialized. They would fight one another for every call and corruption ran rampant and areas weren't covered. It was pretty ugly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies