Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 10:55 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,618,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Clearly, the HuffingtonPost has a "liberal" bent, but has anyone else noticed the extent to which they censor responses to their articles? I'm not talking about the censorship of profanity or ad hominem attacks. I'm talking about their censorship of perfectly innocuous comments. I've never labored under the delusion that the HuffingtonPost is a democratic site. It's not. In fact, it's always had something of a whiff of yellow journalism to it: Those big red National-Enquirer-type headlines meant to provoke. And then when you click on them and actually read the article, it never quite says what the headline indicates. Recently, however, I've noticed that many of my comments disappear into the ether. Comments which don't quite follow the political "party line." My guess is that Huffington has a lot of 20-somethings filtering the posts, and for those of us here who are older, I think we can agree that this age group--frequently, but not always--is not terribly tolerant of opinions which offend their political sensibilities.

Anybody know of any "leftist" sites that allow for the free exchange of ideas?
I sent a PM to you with a link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 11:00 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
This is moronic.
There is that openness from the left...

Old 06-26-2009, 11:10 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Clearly, the HuffingtonPost has a "liberal" bent, but has anyone else noticed the extent to which they censor responses to their articles? I'm not talking about the censorship of profanity or ad hominem attacks. I'm talking about their censorship of perfectly innocuous comments...
I don't frequent Huffington Post much less post comments on it to notice things either way. However, I find it amusing that you would take issue with some innocuous comments not making thru. Do you have concrete examples and, better, a personal experience? Or, are you simply relying on what shows up on google? Because this too showed up on google.

I've personal experience with account cancellation for using a word "misinformation" in a certain right wing forum of a Fox News drama queen. You want crazy? You should really check it out. BTW, thanks to that incidence, I actually discovered City-Data soon after. And I've experience with some of my comments not showing up (on sports blogs), sometimes for a while and sometimes never (and they were just normal comments). I didn't make a big deal out of it, just took it as an issue with moderation (sometimes a necessary evil) and technical issues.

I visited Huffington Post moments ago, to see if I could see dissenting comments, and found plenty of it, including a blog that actually bashes Obama. What are you talking about?

Last edited by EinsteinsGhost; 06-26-2009 at 11:24 AM..

Old 06-26-2009, 11:10 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,633,867 times
Quote:
Clearly, the HuffingtonPost has a "liberal" bent, but has anyone else noticed the extent to which they censor responses to their articles? I'm not talking about the censorship of profanity or ad hominem attacks. I'm talking about their censorship of perfectly innocuous comments. I've never labored under the delusion that the HuffingtonPost is a democratic site. It's not. In fact, it's always had something of a whiff of yellow journalism to it: Those big red National-Enquirer-type headlines meant to provoke. And then when you click on them and actually read the article, it never quite says what the headline indicates. Recently, however, I've noticed that many of my comments disappear into the ether. Comments which don't quite follow the political "party line." My guess is that Huffington has a lot of 20-somethings filtering the posts, and for those of us here who are older, I think we can agree that this age group--frequently, but not always--is not terribly tolerant of opinions which offend their political sensibilities.

Anybody know of any "leftist" sites that allow for the free exchange of ideas?

Leftist + "free" exchange of ideas = OXYMORON

Old 06-26-2009, 02:26 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,274,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I don't frequent Huffington Post much less post comments on it to notice things either way. However, I find it amusing that you would take issue with some innocuous comments not making thru. Do you have concrete examples and, better, a personal experience? Or, are you simply relying on what shows up on google? Because this too showed up on google.

I've personal experience with account cancellation for using a word "misinformation" in a certain right wing forum of a Fox News drama queen. You want crazy? You should really check it out. BTW, thanks to that incidence, I actually discovered City-Data soon after. And I've experience with some of my comments not showing up (on sports blogs), sometimes for a while and sometimes never (and they were just normal comments). I didn't make a big deal out of it, just took it as an issue with moderation (sometimes a necessary evil) and technical issues.

I visited Huffington Post moments ago, to see if I could see dissenting comments, and found plenty of it, including a blog that actually bashes Obama. What are you talking about?
I clearly stated that the reason I was "puzzled" was precisely because I have seen other dissenting comments posted on HuffingtonPost.

I'm "talking about" the fact that several of my comments over the past few weeks on HuffingtonPost never appeared. They were neither rude nor distasteful in any way. What they did have in common, however--and pertinent to each topic--was an observation on the tendency of the left to ignore certain levels of dishonesty in leftist rhetoric and/or be quite intolerant of any dissension in response to sanctified leftist modes of rhetoric. Consistently, without exception, such posts never appeared. This is clearly, in my view, a case of "leftist" media shaping public debate through censorship. Jay Rosen appeared on Bill Moyers a few weeks ago and discussed this disturbing trend. The fact that you find my concern "amusing" rather proves my point.

Old 06-26-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
I clearly stated that the reason I was "puzzled" was precisely because I have seen other dissenting comments posted on HuffingtonPost.

I'm "talking about" the fact that several of my comments over the past few weeks on HuffingtonPost never appeared. They were neither rude nor distasteful in any way. What they did have in common, however--and pertinent to each topic--was an observation on the tendency of the left to ignore certain levels of dishonesty in leftist rhetoric and/or be quite intolerant of any dissension in response to sanctified leftist modes of rhetoric. Consistently, without exception, such posts never appeared. This is clearly, in my view, a case of "leftist" media shaping public debate through censorship. Jay Rosen appeared on Bill Moyers a few weeks ago and discussed this disturbing trend. The fact that you find my concern "amusing" rather proves my point.
But does it prove censorship? With what I've seen, it doesn't, and your claim that even normal comments sometimes don't make it thru support that.

If you really want to experience something along the lines, try the forum I alluded to earlier. It is appropriately, "insanity" over there. In fact, I was dropped off a call rather rudely for disagreeing with the very same person over radio.

Old 06-26-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
But does it prove censorship? With what I've seen, it doesn't, and your claim that even normal comments sometimes don't make it thru support that.

If you really want to experience something along the lines, try the forum I alluded to earlier. It is appropriately, "insanity" over there. In fact, I was dropped off a call rather rudely for disagreeing with the very same person over radio.
I find your defensiveness on behalf of HuffingtonPost, as well as your deliberate refusal to even consider that I might have a legitimate reason for concern, rather curious.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
I find your defensiveness on behalf of HuffingtonPost, as well as your deliberate refusal to even consider that I might have a legitimate reason for concern, rather curious.
Could say the same about your choice of words BUT we're not here to discuss each other.

You used a pretty strong "censorship" while acknowledging that dissenting voices aren't always taken out. You further claimed that sometimes innocuous comments don't make it thru either. Then what in the world gives you the idea that this is due to censorship? Do I like not seeing my comments make thru at all times? You bet. I just put an effort to put one. But, at the same time, I prefer to give a benefit of doubt unless no dissenting voices are ever allowed. Try it on a forum run by the Fox News host and you just might experience the difference.

BTW, this applies to more websites than Huffington Post, as I've suggested in an earlier response. You must have missed it. Having made my point, I'm moving forward.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Could say the same about your choice of words BUT we're not here to discuss each other.

You used a pretty strong "censorship" while acknowledging that dissenting voices aren't always taken out. You further claimed that sometimes innocuous comments don't make it thru either. Then what in the world gives you the idea that this is due to censorship? Do I like not seeing my comments make thru at all times? You bet. I just put an effort to put one. But, at the same time, I prefer to give a benefit of doubt unless no dissenting voices are ever allowed. Try it on a forum run by the Fox News host and you just might experience the difference.

BTW, this applies to more websites than Huffington Post, as I've suggested in an earlier response. You must have missed it. Having made my point, I'm moving forward.
It's censorship because there was no apparent reason for the comments not to be posted. Not really difficult to understand. You are deliberately evading my earlier comments about what kind of dissent appears never to show up on HuffingtonPost: a dissent that takes the so-called "liberal" position to task for dishonesty. THAT kind of comment you'd be hard-pressed to find posted on HuffingtonPost, especially in connection with any politically correct articles. There are different kinds of "dissent." It's disingenuous to state that if any dissenting voices are allowed, then all dissenting voices are allowed. It's not true.

I don't need to try FOXNews forums. Thanks, however, for the condescending advice.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:55 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
I've seen lots of dissenting (conservative opinions) posted on Huffington Post. With that said, it is a privately-run website (as is City-Data), so if they want to censor posts, they certainly have a right to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies