U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2009, 08:39 AM

25,235 posts, read 13,999,179 times

Advertisements

[quote=cdne;9491804][quote=Casper in Dallas;9491429]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdne View Post
You THINK that what obamacare means. What Obama says, and what Obama means sometimes are not the same.So, you profess to know what President Obama really means? Reading between the lines is usually a bad idea.

You have no crystal ball to see the future and blindly trust the government to "do the right thing". Then how do you know what the President really means, tarot cards I place my trust in the hands of medical professionals, not some bureaucrat who works for the government. You fate is already in the hands of insurance companies, or didn't you know that.You may say that the end result will not be a bureaucracy in charge of healthcare decisions, but you just don't know do you?And neither do you. Maybe it would be better to stick to the facts as they are and not speculate so much.
Go ahead a put your healthcare trust in the government. It has done such a great job with Medicare. NOT!!!I agree, Medicare has it's issues, does not mean we should not have it, just reform and fix it. The alternative for many would be no healthcare, not much of an option.[/quote]

The nation cannot even keep Medicare afloat, and that program primarily involves only a small percentage of the population. Not a very good omen for adding another 270 MILLION or more to the ranks, huh?

Personally, I believe the healthcare "crisis" is overblown. Everyone has stories about somebody they know/heard about/read about and their personal healthcare situation. Most of that rhetoric comes from those who want a nanny state, and don't want to take responsibility for their lives anyway. Yes, I really believe there are a lot of lazy people in our society who wish to suckle at the government teat, at the expense of others.
My main issue with healthcare is affordable insurance, or lack of, ever tried buy good coverage on your own? The prices are out of this world and I make very good money and cannot see how anyone making middleclass wages can afford it. In the end we all pay, I would prefer people pay their own way also, but let's make it reasonable.
Casper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 08:41 AM

86,884 posts, read 102,281,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdne View Post
Never said I "worked" in the medical field, only lived in the era before government got involved in/ruined the system of private insurance.

As for people not having medical insurance, I would ask,...."whose fault is that?". People to plan to fail, they fail to plan, and then cry and whine to the government when their decisions, or lack thereof, bites them in the butt.
To have actually seen the health care system in action for the elderly, you would have had to have been an adult in 1965, pre-Medicare. If you are 70, you were 26 in 1965. My guess is you didn't give a rip about the elderly back then, none of us do at that age. You probably have no idea how your grandparents paid for their health care and their food and everything else they needed.

Certainly you have read in this thread how much insurance costs. You really think most people could afford those premiums on a SS pension?

Old 06-27-2009, 08:43 AM

19,659 posts, read 19,768,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
To have actually seen the health care system in action for the elderly, you would have had to have been an adult in 1965, pre-Medicare.

Certainly you have read in this thread how much insurance costs. You really think most people could afford those premiums on a SS pension?
I don't understand your age point here.
I was an adult in 1965 and my parents lived well past that...both with and without Medicare.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:44 AM

4,425 posts, read 5,264,051 times
I don't like obama's plan anyway... I support socialized national medical system.. this hybrid crap will just be another version of what we got already.. wrapped in a new package for everyone to "discover"
I'm starting to get really tired of obama and his lack of doing what needs to be done...
I realize a person in power gets torn in a million directions... but I'm sorry.. it's a joke...
he better start coming up with some goods soon, or I'm going to be a very upset democrat...and will surely not be voting for him again...

Old 06-27-2009, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I was an adult in 1965 and my parents lived well past that...both with and without Medicare.
the cost of healthcare compared to wages then was affordable still... today it is not....
a friend of mine had to go in for surgery on her toe, and was slapped with a 12,000 dollar bill...
she put of going in to get it done until she couldn't walk on it and risked losing her job because of it..
something is wrong with this picture...

Old 06-27-2009, 08:48 AM

4,089 posts, read 4,706,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
I don't like obama's plan anyway... I support socialized national medical system.. this hybrid crap will just be another version of what we got already.. wrapped in a new package for everyone to "discover"
I'm starting to get really tired of obama and his lack of doing what needs to be done...
I realize a person in power gets torn in a million directions... but I'm sorry.. it's a joke...
he better start coming up with some goods soon, or I'm going to be a very upset democrat...and will surely not be voting for him again...

My gosh, if Obama is not far enough Left for you, I think you are just out of luck.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:48 AM

86,884 posts, read 102,281,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
the cost of healthcare compared to wages then was affordable still... today it is not....
My point is you say you remember the health care system for the elderly pre-1965, at at time when you were 26 years old. Frankly, I don't think you were aware of all the details. After 1965, Medicare was enacted, and no inusrer would sell a comprehensive policy to someone eligible for Medicare.

Plus, Medicare was enacted b/c the elderly were not getting the helath care they needed under the system (?) that was in place. Many had to rely on "charity care". My grandparents did.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
My gosh, if Obama is not far enough Left for you, I think you are just out of luck.
if you think he's far left..Moderator cut: rude...

Last edited by katzenfreund; 06-27-2009 at 11:43 AM..

Old 06-27-2009, 08:57 AM

1,223 posts, read 1,132,699 times
[quote=Casper in Dallas;9491991][quote=cdne;9491804]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
My main issue with healthcare is affordable insurance, or lack of, ever tried buy good coverage on your own? The prices are out of this world and I make very good money and cannot see how anyone making middleclass wages can afford it. In the end we all pay, I would prefer people pay their own way also, but let's make it reasonable.
Casper
I don't make the bucks you make, but I have managed to pay for my own/family health insurance for decades. It ain't cheap, but one has to budget for it just like a mortgage payment, utilities, automobiles, etc,...but, that was the responsible thing to do to protect myself and my family.

As for your comments about not seeing "how anyone making middleclass wages can afford it (health insurance)", I'd counter that it centers around a lack of planning. Personally, I don't see how those in the "middleclass" can afford to have the 2+ children, live in houses costing hundreds of thousands of dollars, and drive new vehicles every three years. Could it be "keeping up with the Joneses", at the expense of providing health insurance?

Life involves priorities, and some people suck at prioritizing.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:01 AM

12,625 posts, read 18,125,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Well now does this apply to all the politicians and their families ? Or is it just us poor peasants? Such compassion......but does it surprise me? Absolutely not. It's very obvious the only compassion is being shown to the 12 million illegal lawbreakers in our country and oh, let's not forget the "bow" that wasn't a bow.

Oh I would say politicians are not included in this. Nor will any of their friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or