U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2009, 10:53 AM

4,182 posts, read 5,787,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdne View Post
I don't know what's up with the software, but I posted a reply to Alaskapat and it quoted a Katinai piece.

If I may, I'd like to address Alaskpat's claim regarding my "holier than thous", and "looking down my nose" accusations. It seems that when one posts anything about Americans taking responisibility for their personal decisions, it always ends up in liberal/conservative namecalling slugfest. By no means do I claim to have all the answers to everyones' problems, including the provision for healthcare in the final years of life. I DO however have some historical insight simply because of my age, and consequently see things in a different light than many.

I know that I am in the latter years of my life and what I see disturbs me greatly. I see Americans gravitating more and more toward using our federal government as a "safety net" to solve a myriad of problems that in the past were considered "personal problems". When one has a "safety net", then the decision-making process becomes much easier, less failure oriented, and less important. After all, if one fails to live within ones means, fails to make the sacrifice necessary to have an emergency nest egg, and puts all the eggs in one economic basket,...there's always the government to step in and save the day. To me, that is a problem.

It amazes me that Americans are so willing to let federal government take over such a large portion of our daily lives. It amazes me that Americans so quick and willing to abandon the economic principles that raised this nation so far above all the rest. I cringe as I watch our government take major ownership interests in private businesses and financial institutions. It bothers me to see the "spread the wealth" attitude of our leaders, and their policies that make citizens more dependent, not less dependent, on our government. It is sad that our government is becoming a "hand-out instead of a hand-up" institution.

If this attitude about life is disturbing to the liberals, then IMO they are part of the problem, not a part of the solution. If my opinions are thought-provoking to ONE person, then they have not been for naught. My intent is not to project a "holier than thou" attitude, but simply to highlight the fact that if one constantly looks to the federal government to solve everyday problems, just be ready to sacrifice freedoms to do so.

You are free to give up your Medicare coverage, and you are free to give up your Social Security benefits. So please do tell us that you've done this already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 10:57 AM

19,659 posts, read 19,768,059 times
[quote=Katiana;9493298][quote=old_cold;9492694]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post

The post you quoted is not mine. Please be more careful, and edit your posts when you screw up.
Sorry....now edited so only the statement stands....don't even know who said it now
So much for 'mutiple quotes' replies.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:02 AM

86,093 posts, read 72,297,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
So much for 'mutiple quotes' replies.
I think there's an art to the multiple quote replies. I haven't figured it out yet so I do multiple 1 quote replies

Old 06-27-2009, 11:07 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,600,789 times
OT but to multiple quote, I just right click on the quote thingee and open each new quote in a new tab, then cut/paste it into the window. The "multiquote" thing has never worked for me.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:09 AM

31,007 posts, read 19,495,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
In other words KevK, you are a supporter of Euthanasia??
How about being a supporter of not prolonging the inevitable........death at the cost of billions!

Quote:
Thirty percent of medicare's annual costs are spent on the five percent of beneficiaries who will die in a given year. Additionally, about one-third of those dollars spent in the last year of life are spent in the last month.
Discussions About End-of-Life Care Reduce Healthcare Costs in Last We... ( NHPCO Encourages Dialog between Patie...)

Quote:
Researchers in this recent survey looking at costs in the last week of life indicate that if 50 percent of people had a discussion with their physician about end-of-life care preferences, the cost difference in a year could be more than $76 million dollars.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:11 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,600,789 times
In the article in the OP - Obama does not say the Government will make these decisions anyway. He says that families and patients need to be better informed about the treatment options available and their outcomes.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
And, if the PATIENT or the Patients family wants to continue to try - who do you support - the Doctor - or the family?

The medical sector should decide. We can learn from the Terri Schiavo debacle, what happens when family or politics get involved.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:37 AM

1,223 posts, read 1,132,699 times
[quote=Katiana;9493298][quote=old_cold;9492694]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post

The post you quoted is not mine. Please be more careful, and edit your posts when you screw up.
What you quoted is not mine,...so YOU please be more careful, and edit your posts when YOU screw up.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
This is the first step in the government's life is cheap. It is a first step, next perhaps people over 75 cannot have transplants or even MRI scans. I wonder if the president and congress will be under the national health plan; I don't think so.
Age is already a consideration for eligibility for a transplant waiting list.

Quote:
While there is great scrutiny placed upon patients over age 55, in almost all patients over age 70 there is almost no consideration made for referral to the kidney transplant list. Any other co morbid health complications may also impede your ability to gain access to the kidney transplant list.
Health Issues Affecting Access to Kidney Transplant Waiting List in End-Stage Renal Disease - Associated Content

Can't blame Obama for that!

Old 06-27-2009, 11:39 AM

1,223 posts, read 1,132,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
You are free to give up your Medicare coverage, and you are free to give up your Social Security benefits. So please do tell us that you've done this already.
I don't use Medicare, and Social Security was my money from the beginning which the GOVERNMENT required me to pay. I'll take Social Security because it was my money anyway.

Satisfied?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or