U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 07:04 PM

7,169 posts, read 6,442,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Like the saying goes: Variety is the spice of life.

Sure we can subsist with spiceless, bland food, but why?
because after cap and trade is passed thats all we will be able to afford.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:05 PM

10,479 posts, read 13,822,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
yeah, but my point is that it's not really that big of a deal. I live in a neighborhood now that's probably 85% black, and I am fine. when I lived in the DC area, the place I lived was probably 60% latino, and that was fine. I am going to vermont tomorrow, and that's like 95% white, and that's fine. I don't have a problem with diversity, but I have a problem when it seems forced.
Well if you think diversity is no big deal then I'm not sure why you seem annoyed by it. I don't know of anyone forcing diversity, it seems more like being open to it & not understanding those who are against it. Diversity I think gives people more options & a better understanding of life, not to mention a richer life. Sure, there's always going to be some dimwit who thinks it's "cool" that they have a black friend, a gay friend, an asian friend & so forth. If they're friends w/those people strictly because they are different, than that person is stupid. But if they're friends w/them because they actually like them & what they represent but they just happen to be of different ethnicities, then when they proclaim they have friends of those different ethnicities, it seems like they're more proud of that fact & not just being a poser.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:06 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,175 posts, read 5,192,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Why am I not surprised that the only thing that feel is positive about diversity is how it can satiate your personal desires as if the sine qua non of others is to be at your personal service.

What your friend recognizes and which you have on more than one occasion amply demonstrated that you don't, is that we live in a diverse but extremely interconnected world. If her child doesn't learn at an early age to interact with folks other than her or her social grouping she stands a chance of growing up a xenophobic and racist oaf like some people I could point to.

my high school was probably 30% white. I just don't see the big deal. you know what I did with my korean friends? I played super tecmo bowl. we didn't sit there and talk about korea. you know what I did with my black and south american friends? we went to busch gardens. people weren't gay back then, so I don't know what I did with my gay friends. the only time I really felt the diversity was when I went over to one of my korean friends houses and had kimchi. so yes, FOOD is what I dig.

Quote:
If her child doesn't learn at an early age to interact with folks other than her or her social grouping she stands a chance of growing up a xenophobic and racist oaf
does that mean that everyone in maine, vermont, and new hampshire is one of these people?

Old 06-26-2009, 07:07 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Like the saying goes: Variety is the spice of life.

Sure we can subsist with spiceless, bland food, but why?
haha! I gave the food props!

Old 06-26-2009, 07:08 PM

4,980 posts, read 8,414,196 times
Quote:
seriously, what gives with this? diversity for me is good for one thing. food. I love ethnic food, and fortunately I grew up in an ethnically diverse area, and most of my friends were not white. but what's with the whole diversity or die crap? I have a friend who feels that she needs to have a friend of every color, sexual orientation, religion, species, ect. it seems so forced. how about you all. do you feel that you need diversity, and if so, why? or could you care less? besides food, why is it important to you?

It's all double talk. We are told diversity is good, but when people try to hold onto their ethnic heritages, they are told they have to blend and mix, and not be closed.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:10 PM

10,479 posts, read 13,822,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
It's all double talk. We are told diversity is good, but when people try to hold onto their ethnic heritages, they are told they have to blend and mix, and not be closed.
No no no no no. It's when people absolutely refuse to become a part of society is where the problem lies.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:10 PM

15,400 posts, read 19,517,709 times
Diversity is part of humanity.....we all see things from a different perspective and this can prove invaluable when trying to solve a problem. I don't think anyone is pushing "diversity" just letting everyone know that we are all part of ONE global community of diverse peoples.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:45 PM

5,027 posts, read 5,524,269 times
Quote:
seriously, what gives with this? diversity for me is good for one thing. food. I love ethnic food, and fortunately I grew up in an ethnically diverse area, and most of my friends were not white. but what's with the whole diversity or die crap? I have a friend who feels that she needs to have a friend of every color, sexual orientation, religion, species, ect. it seems so forced. how about you all. do you feel that you need diversity, and if so, why? or could you care less? besides food, why is it important to you?

Not surprised by your opinion - given your fascination with the whiteness of Idaho . Too bad for you that all the supremacists have been driven off.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Not surprised by your opinion - given your fascination with the whiteness of Idaho . Too bad for you that all the supremacists have been driven off.
no they haven't been. I am surprised that you have an opinion at all given your geographic and demographic location.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:02 PM

5,027 posts, read 5,524,269 times
Quote:
no they haven't been. I am surprised that you have an opinion at all given your geographic and demographic location.
Why wouldn't I be interested in diversity? That's about the stupidest thing you've ever said. And that's stiff competition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies