Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 06:26 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,842,251 times

Advertisements

seriously, what gives with this? diversity for me is good for one thing. food. I love ethnic food, and fortunately I grew up in an ethnically diverse area, and most of my friends were not white. but what's with the whole diversity or die crap? I have a friend who feels that she needs to have a friend of every color, sexual orientation, religion, species, ect. it seems so forced. how about you all. do you feel that you need diversity, and if so, why? or could you care less? besides food, why is it important to you?

Old 06-26-2009, 06:36 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,025,674 times
yes i do we need africa lions in americas backcountry to balance nature. killer bees would also help. and maybe somedeadly snakes and poisoin spiders diversity is good

Old 06-26-2009, 06:39 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,561,646 times
I like that there are people different than me. I like learning about different things & seeing different things. I like that there are people from all over who are good people, interesting people, people who can contribute. That's why I'm such a traveler at heart, I like knowing that there are things out there that are completely different from me & what I know. If there is no diversity, there is no moving forward or in a different direction from your safety zone, in my opinion.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:43 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,842,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I like that there are people different than me. I like learning about different things & seeing different things. I like that there are people from all over who are good people, interesting people, people who can contribute. That's why I'm such a traveler at heart, I like knowing that there are things out there that are completely different from me & what I know. If there is no diversity, there is no moving forward or in a different direction from your safety zone, in my opinion.
yeah, but my point is that it's not really that big of a deal. I live in a neighborhood now that's probably 85% black, and I am fine. when I lived in the DC area, the place I lived was probably 60% latino, and that was fine. I am going to vermont tomorrow, and that's like 95% white, and that's fine. I don't have a problem with diversity, but I have a problem when it seems forced.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:47 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,635,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
yeah, but my point is that it's not really that big of a deal. I live in a neighborhood now that's probably 85% black, and I am fine. when I lived in the DC area, the place I lived was probably 60% latino, and that was fine. I am going to vermont tomorrow, and that's like 95% white, and that's fine. I don't have a problem with diversity, but I have a problem when it seems forced.
I think you are confusing diversity with poseurs.

As others stated better then I - diversity is great. Learning about different cultures/foods/languages/custums in a very real way helps one understand the world and our place in it. Poseurs just like being able to say 'My _____ friend'. Maybe it makes them feel less 'white guilt' or perhaps more sophistacated?

Old 06-26-2009, 06:48 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times
People do not seek out diversity for its own sake, but they seek out like minded people. Like minded people can be of any race or sexual orientation.
Like if you're gay, and enjoy talking to straight women, and I need advise on picking new drapes...win, win.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:49 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,025,674 times
ya just lost me but lions would be cool thin out the hikers and earth muffins in the woods

Old 06-26-2009, 06:54 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,035,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
seriously, what gives with this? diversity for me is good for one thing. food.
Why am I not surprised that the only thing that feel is positive about diversity is how it can satiate your personal desires as if the sine qua non of others is to be at your personal service.

What your friend recognizes and which you have on more than one occasion amply demonstrated that you don't, is that we live in a diverse but extremely interconnected world. If her child doesn't learn at an early age to interact with folks other than her or her social grouping she stands a chance of growing up a xenophobic and racist oaf like some people I could point to.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:58 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,180,639 times
Default Where were you in 1969?

Diversity? What did James Baldwin quote in "Fire Next Time":

"God gave Noah the rainbow sign, / No more water, the fire next time!"

Diversity is the polar opposite of ethnic warfare.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:59 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,358,694 times
Like the saying goes: Variety is the spice of life.

Sure we can subsist with spiceless, bland food, but why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies