U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-27-2009, 08:27 AM
 
4,182 posts, read 5,803,992 times
Reputation: 1720

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
That is untrue. If you do not have insurance, the hospital is going to patch you up and send you out the door. You are not going to get treatment except for emergency treatment. No chemo, no cancer treatment, no Diabetis treatment, no kidney dialysis or transplant. They send you home to DIE!
You are correct. Unless the patient has a true emergency, the hospital can and will refuse to see you in the ER. ERs have a triage system in place that determines whether the person who walks in the door has a condtion that potentially can be an emergency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-27-2009, 08:36 AM
 
Location: Irvine, CA to Keller, TX
4,831 posts, read 6,196,062 times
Reputation: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
If a person (legal or illegal) who doesn't have insurance walks into an emergency room due to a heart attack, yes the hospital will take care of that person. The government doesn't foot the bill. The person is on the hook for the bill. How many of them will actually pay the bill? My experience is that about 90% will pay the bill, after negotiating the rate down with the hospital.
If that person is illegal the government pays for it. If the person is legal and has assets they will be forced to seel something or make some kind of payment plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2009, 08:42 AM
 
Location: Irvine, CA to Keller, TX
4,831 posts, read 6,196,062 times
Reputation: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
You are correct. Unless the patient has a true emergency, the hospital can and will refuse to see you in the ER. ERs have a triage system in place that determines whether the person who walks in the door has a condtion that potentially can be an emergency.
I beg to differ with you and I know from actual experience. I have been self-employed without insurance a couple of times and my children were never refused treatment. My son had second and third degree burns that we were taking care of ourselves and when the school nurse noticed. She sent us to a clinic that took care of everything, pain meds, suave, antibiotics, etc.. I offered to pay and they refused to take payment because I did not have health insurance. I guess it just depends how someone handles their situation, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2009, 08:42 AM
 
4,182 posts, read 5,803,992 times
Reputation: 1720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
If that person is illegal the government pays for it. If the person is legal and has assets they will be forced to seel something or make some kind of payment plan.
Can you show us proof that the government pays for it?

If a patient (legal or illegal) doesn't pay his bills, that person's account will be sent to a collection agency. If person refuses to pay, the hospital can either sue, or write off the debt. Most of the time the hospital writes off the debt. The government does not foot the bill for the person (legal or illegal).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2009, 08:43 AM
 
4,089 posts, read 4,723,874 times
Reputation: 1251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
Yes they do receive health care, not insurance, but health care. No hospital can refuse health-care to anyone legal or illegal. The government pays for those that can't pay, legal and/or illegal. The myth that xx_ million people don't have health-care is a myth. They don't have heath insurance. I wish people would just quit perpetuated that myth for political reasons.
The government does not pay for anything. The taxpayers do, through tax levys. Really, YOU and ME pay for the healthcare illegals receive. It is billions of dollars each year. Fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2009, 08:45 AM
 
4,182 posts, read 5,803,992 times
Reputation: 1720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
I beg to differ with you and I know from actual experience. I have been self-employed without insurance a couple of times and my children were never refused treatment. My son had second and third degree burns that we were taking care of ourselves and when the school nurse noticed. She sent us to a clinic that took care of everything, pain meds, suave, antibiotics, etc.. I offered to pay and they refused to take payment because I did not have health insurance. I guess it just depends how someone handles their situation, I guess.
That's strange. I don't know why the clinic refused to take your payment. I don't know of any doctor, clinic, hospital, or business for that matter that refuses to accept payment in cash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2009, 08:45 AM
 
4,089 posts, read 4,723,874 times
Reputation: 1251
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Can you show us proof that the government pays for it?

If a patient (legal or illegal) doesn't pay his bills, that person's account will be sent to a collection agency. If person refuses to pay, the hospital can either sue, or write off the debt. Most of the time the hospital writes off the debt. The government does not foot the bill for the person (legal or illegal).

In New Mexico, if one lives in Bernco, s/he is assessed a special mill levy to fund the public hospital. Property owners pick up the tab for indigent health care that costs tens of millions each year. One report indicated that 70% of the indigent healthcare was related to illegals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2009, 08:50 AM
 
Location: Irvine, CA to Keller, TX
4,831 posts, read 6,196,062 times
Reputation: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Can you show us proof that the government pays for it?

If a patient (legal or illegal) doesn't pay his bills, that person's account will be sent to a collection agency. If person refuses to pay, the hospital can either sue, or write off the debt. Most of the time the hospital writes off the debt. The government does not foot the bill for the person (legal or illegal).
Having lived in CA most of my life before moving to TX I guess all the complaints from politicians, both local, state and national about how the state could not keep up with the money needed to treat people both legal and illegal that were not paying their medical bills were just a figment of my imagination. Do you think the hospitals just eat the costs?

But since you asked.

Health care providers in the U.S. will, as from this week, be able to charge the government for emergency care they provide to illegal aliens.

Final guidance was issued on May 9th by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, which has set up a system for reimbursement. $1 billion has been set aside over four years to fund the program which was created by Medicare legislation passed in 2003.

U.S. Government will pay hospitals for treatment provided to illegal aliens
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2009, 08:54 AM
 
Location: Irvine, CA to Keller, TX
4,831 posts, read 6,196,062 times
Reputation: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
That's strange. I don't know why the clinic refused to take your payment. I don't know of any doctor, clinic, hospital, or business for that matter that refuses to accept payment in cash.
I told them I could afford to pay. I had just paid cash for my home in TX and had $$$ in the bank. The clinic was set up for people that had no health insurance so they were not set up to take payment. I talked to the girl at the desk and said this is why we have such a mess in out health care system. She agreed.

When I was self-employed in CA I could not get insurance once my COBRA ran out because 5 out of the 6 in our family had pre-existing conditions. I had money to pay the premiums but nobody would cover us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2009, 08:57 AM
 
4,182 posts, read 5,803,992 times
Reputation: 1720
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
In New Mexico, if one lives in Bernco, s/he is assessed a special mill levy to fund the public hospital. Property owners pick up the tab for indigent health care that costs tens of millions each year. One report indicated that 70% of the indigent healthcare was related to illegals.
That can only mean that the indigents are all going to the ER for all their medical care, when they should be going to community clinics for non-emergencies. It's not the immigration status of the patients that's costing the hospitals money. It's the fact that ERs are being used as a primary care clinic rather than as a place to treat emergencies. Where I live in Illinois, there are practically zero illegals. 95% of people are white. Yet, we see the same behavior: people with hang nails show up in the ER for treatment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:33 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top