U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 10:19 AM

47,576 posts, read 60,475,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I don't think they can get medicaid. The emergency care they get is written off if they don't pay the bill.
Sure they do -- look up "Emergency Medicaid". That's what pays for them when they come to the hospital in labor or for any kind of condition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 10:24 AM

47,576 posts, read 60,475,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
No need to speculate on whether illegal aliens are eligible or not for Medicaid. Go direct to the source: Who is eligible for Medicaid? (http://www.hhs.gov/faq/medicaremedicaid/653.html - broken link)

Money quote:

Only US citizens and legal immigrants (green card holders) are eligible for Medicaid. Illegal aliens have never been eligible for Medicaid. The statement that illegals can get Medicaid is a myth.

You really need to do more research.

JAMA -- Trends in Emergency Medicaid Expenditures for Recent and Undocumented Immigrants, March 14, 2007, DuBard and Massing 297 (10): 1085

A total of 48 391 individuals received services reimbursed under Emergency Medicaid during the 4-year period of this study. The patient population was 99% undocumented, 93% Hispanic, 95% female, and 89% in the 18- to 40-year age group.

-- in other words, able bodied illegals coming here to give birth, and once they give birth after all the free prenatal care and maternity care, the regular
Medicaid kicks in.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:26 AM

86,093 posts, read 72,297,737 times
Their anchor babies get up to 1 year covered as well; they just have to document the baby was born on US soil via birth certificate.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:26 AM

16,248 posts, read 21,258,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
I beg to differ with you and I know from actual experience. I have been self-employed without insurance a couple of times and my children were never refused treatment. My son had second and third degree burns that we were taking care of ourselves and when the school nurse noticed. She sent us to a clinic that took care of everything, pain meds, suave, antibiotics, etc.. I offered to pay and they refused to take payment because I did not have health insurance. I guess it just depends how someone handles their situation, I guess.
I don't know where you live but not here in Georgia. You have to pay for EVERYTHING here even if the school sends your kid there. The schools here require shots and my sis in law, who works at a hotel making $10 an hour with 3 kids had to pay $200 for shots for her kids at the public health clinic here. They don't pay for nothing here even though they require the shots and school attendance is mandatory.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:31 AM

86,093 posts, read 72,297,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I don't know where you live but not here in Georgia. You have to pay for EVERYTHING here even if the school sends your kid there. The schools here require shots and my sis in law, who works at a hotel making $10 an hour with 3 kids had to pay $200 for shots for her kids at the public health clinic here. They don't pay for nothing here even though they require the shots and school attendance is mandatory.
Here in Texas they have free shot days before school starts sponsored and held at the schools. I have volunteered there and talk about overflowing !
Starts at 8am and goes til 6pm and the school cafeteria is full of families the entire time.

Most families were Hispanic but not all. I was surprised though that there are lots of people that have 4-5-6 kids. Having that many kids is expensive. The norm in most middle, upper-middle families is 2.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:31 AM

86,883 posts, read 102,281,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Sure they do -- look up "Emergency Medicaid". That's what pays for them when they come to the hospital in labor or for any kind of condition.
Well, I learned something new today. However, you are incorrect about "any condition".

https://hcpf.cdhs.state.co.us/HCPF/refmat/al010312.asp

For non-qualified immigrants receiving Medicaid emergency only benefits, the following medical conditions will be covered:

An emergency medical condition is a medical condition (including labor and delivery) which manifests itself by acute symptoms of sufficient severity (including severe pain) such that the absence of immediate medical attention could reasonably be expected to result in:

a) placing the patient's health in serious jeopardy,

b) serious impairment of bodily function, or

c) serious dysfunction of any bodily organ or part.

Plus more.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:33 AM

4,182 posts, read 5,787,266 times
Quote:

JAMA -- Trends in Emergency Medicaid Expenditures for Recent and Undocumented Immigrants, March 14, 2007, DuBard and Massing 297 (10): 1085

A total of 48 391 individuals received services reimbursed under Emergency Medicaid during the 4-year period of this study. The patient population was 99% undocumented, 93% Hispanic, 95% female, and 89% in the 18- to 40-year age group.

-- in other words, able bodied illegals coming here to give birth, and once they give birth after all the free prenatal care and maternity care, the regular
Medicaid kicks in.

That's because their babies are US citizens.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:38 AM

4,182 posts, read 5,787,266 times
Quote:

Medicaid kicks in.
Emergency care is available to anyone, including illegals. Non-emergency care is not available to illegals. The children of illegals who are born here are US citizens - hence, they get emergency and non-emergency care. Does that clear up your confusion?

Old 06-28-2009, 03:12 PM

16,248 posts, read 21,258,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Emergency care is available to anyone, including illegals. Non-emergency care is not available to illegals. The children of illegals who are born here are US citizens - hence, they get emergency and non-emergency care. Does that clear up your confusion?
The amazing thing is that the children of Illegals who are born here can get care from day one but children of LEGAL immigrants that come here LEGALLY cannot get care. Not even vaccinations.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:17 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,600,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
Yes they do receive health care, not insurance, but health care. No hospital can refuse health-care to anyone legal or illegal. The government pays for those that can't pay, legal and/or illegal. The myth that xx_ million people don't have health-care is a myth. They don't have heath insurance. I wish people would just quit perpetuated that myth for political reasons.
No hospital cannot refuse EMERGENCY health care to anyone.

The Government DOES NOT pay for these visits, the hospital bills the patient. The hospital ultimately ends up paying for it if the patient does not pay their bill.

If you have cancer you can't go to the ER for your Chemo for free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or