Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should there be a minimum time requirement between when a bill is submitted and when it can be voted
Yes 25 83.33%
No 5 16.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 05:36 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times

Advertisements

Well, I seem to remember a "promise" (already broken) by obama that he would put bills up on his website for the public to purview BEFORE signing them into law. Was it 2 or 5 days? I don't remember.

People thought that was so neat, didn't they? That a president, who was transparent and "new" would allow the public a glimpse.

Funny thing is, people forgot to actually THINK about what he was saying - what good does it do once the bills are passed by congress?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 05:39 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,842,040 times
I am shocked and amazed that anyone voted NO

Old 06-27-2009, 05:43 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,307,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I just did vote no. I thought that was interesting too. I firmly believe that congress should be informed before they vote, but because of what might be a necessity, I voted no. Congress needs to govern themselves. If they asked me to vote on a 300 page document in that length of time, my vote would be an automatic "No" on the document.
I agree with your post 100%. The reality is that it will never happen. Congress will never govern themselves.

Old 06-27-2009, 05:44 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,388,406 times
I voted no based on very rare occasion immediate action is needed. While I agree most of the time there should be plenty of time to enact legislation on certain occasions immediate action is required...like in the case of a time sensitive emergency.

Old 06-27-2009, 05:46 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I voted no based on very rare occasion immediate action is needed. While I agree most of the time there should be plenty of time to enact legislation on certain occasions immediate action is required...like in the case of a time sensitive emergency.
An act of war..sure. But last year global warming didn't exist and now all of a sudden they pass a bill that's not even available in full final form.

Old 06-27-2009, 05:47 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
What a hysterical question.

"The chair recognizes the senator from the proud state of Hawaii."

"My fellow Americans, the great state of Hawaii was attacked this morning by the nefarious President of North Korea. I submit that this constitutes an act of war so I have introduced a declaration of war to be voted on my this body."

"Here, here!" chants the members of the Senate.

"Mr President!" cried the Senator from Texas.

"Yes Senator?" The President of Senate asked.

"Mr. President, you are aware that any legislation, including declarations of war require a 30 cooling off period?"

Old 06-27-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
An act of war..sure. But last year global warming didn't exist and now all of a sudden they pass a bill that's not even available in full final form.
An act of war or devastating natural disaster, or impending natural disaster was what I was thinking of (Not global warming, but something like a volcano or tsunami in which funds needed to be released in a timely manner to affected ares.) at the time I voted. I think such a time requirement could be extremely harmful in those situations where time is of the essence.

Old 06-27-2009, 06:04 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,753,956 times
Hey guys, not to be a ******* OP, but I specifically said that in case of a emergencies, a 3/4 vote (or even 2/3 if you prefer) could waive the minimum time requirements.

Old 06-27-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker2k View Post
Hey guys, not to be a ******* OP, but I specifically said that in case of a emergencies, a 3/4 vote (or even 2/3 if you prefer) could waive the minimum time requirements.
My bad missed that part. With that stipulation I think there should be a time requirement. The longer it takes to pass legislation, imho, the better.

Old 06-27-2009, 06:11 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
I am just not into this control freak Obama mood. I believe in freedom and responsibility. We need less govenment, not more. And fewer rules, not more; but the few rules we have should be enforced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies