U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-27-2009, 03:54 PM
 
20,836 posts, read 39,052,603 times
Reputation: 19073

Advertisements

Let's take a stab at these two issues; North Korea (NK) and Taiwan. Both are leftovers from Cold War days; communist versus capitalist (that distinction is quite blurred with China), or more accurately, dictatorship versus democracy.

How do we resolve these situations, going on now for almost 60 years. Is a compromise possible? Can we manage a win-win situation for all sides; give a little to get a little? Must all key players hold out for winning everything? How many decades or generations are we going to play this poker game?

Must we be the one nation largely bankrolling South Korea (SK) and Taiwan? What's in it for us? Why are we still there after all these years? Just WHAT are those ever-vague "U.S. interests" that the State Dept always talks about, that are so very important that we must be on hair-trigger military alert at all times? It's cost us a fortune for the last 60 years; has it been worth it? Should we keep ponying up billions and billions?

Myself, I've long thought we should make a deal with China, Japan and SK to have China take out the whack job in NK, then we get NK re-unified under SK, thus one Korea with Seoul as capitol. That ends the cold war on the Korean peninsula. Besides, NK is a big pain for China, thousands of starving illiterates constantly sneaking into China from NK, a real burden.

In return, we have Taiwan re-unify with mainland China, as did Hong Kong about ten years ago. That ends the cold war relative to China.

We want one Korea, on our terms. China wants one China, on their terms. Suits me fine. Let's make a deal.

These two events almost totally end the cold war in Asia; there'd be one free Korea and one communist China. Then we could bring our military forces home from SK as part of the deal and we'll no longer need to militarily and politically support Taiwan.

I've never heard of this scenario, or anything like it, ever voiced by our leaders or by our media. Why is that?

Your thoughts?
__________________
- Please follow our TOS.
- Any Questions about City-Data? See the FAQ list.
- Want some detailed instructions on using the site? See The Guide for plain english explanation.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-27-2009, 04:08 PM
 
Location: Southeast
4,296 posts, read 6,258,850 times
Reputation: 1445
You seem to forget that while border hopping is an issue between China and North Korea, both countries are more or less partners in international arms and drug trade. I want to say China is to North Korea as the United States is to Israel, but the relationship is too different to make that comparison. As such, there is a rather tricky stalemate that would be difficult to work around. There is a lot of political swordplay that covers up more sinister motives on both sides of the fence.

And for the record, North Korea has one of the highest literacy rates in the world, so that bit about illiterates crossing the border into China is inaccurate..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2009, 04:13 PM
 
20,836 posts, read 39,052,603 times
Reputation: 19073
They may be literate, but they've been fed a diet of hate America and commie uber alles brainwashing. An illiterate can be taught. A brainwashed robot is another different story.

Never heard about the drug trade matter. Makes it our best interest to have NK go away, Taiwan should be inducement enough to get China to play.
__________________
- Please follow our TOS.
- Any Questions about City-Data? See the FAQ list.
- Want some detailed instructions on using the site? See The Guide for plain english explanation.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2009, 05:42 PM
 
Location: Chicagoland
41,314 posts, read 39,496,708 times
Reputation: 7107
Quote:
Myself, I've long thought we should make a deal with China, Japan and SK to have China take out the whack job in NK, then we get NK re-unified under SK, thus one Korea with Seoul as capitol. That ends the cold war on the Korean peninsula. Besides, NK is a big pain for China, thousands of starving illiterates constantly sneaking into China from NK, a real burden.
What? Your are advocating the US meddle and covertly make a deal with China to "take out" (assassinate?) Kim?

Doesn't this go against your fundamental belief that the US has no business in the affairs of a sovereign country?

Quote:
In return, we have Taiwan re-unify with mainland China, as did Hong Kong about ten years ago. That ends the cold war relative to China.
What if Taiwan doesn't want to? Don't the people who will be oppressed by communist China get a say?

See, this is very confusing. What is your criteria for meddling and interfering with other countries?

Somehow this doesn't jive with your stance on the US "meddling" in Iraq.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2009, 06:07 PM
 
Location: Maryland about 20 miles NW of DC
6,111 posts, read 5,061,414 times
Reputation: 2426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Let's take a stab at these two issues; North Korea (NK) and Taiwan. Both are leftovers from Cold War days; communist versus capitalist (that distinction is quite blurred with China), or more accurately, dictatorship versus democracy.

How do we resolve these situations, going on now for almost 60 years. Is a compromise possible? Can we manage a win-win situation for all sides; give a little to get a little? Must all key players hold out for winning everything? How many decades or generations are we going to play this poker game?

Must we be the one nation largely bankrolling South Korea (SK) and Taiwan? What's in it for us? Why are we still there after all these years? Just WHAT are those ever-vague "U.S. interests" that the State Dept always talks about, that are so very important that we must be on hair-trigger military alert at all times? It's cost us a fortune for the last 60 years; has it been worth it? Should we keep ponying up billions and billions?

Myself, I've long thought we should make a deal with China, Japan and SK to have China take out the whack job in NK, then we get NK re-unified under SK, thus one Korea with Seoul as capitol. That ends the cold war on the Korean peninsula. Besides, NK is a big pain for China, thousands of starving illiterates constantly sneaking into China from NK, a real burden.

In return, we have Taiwan re-unify with mainland China, as did Hong Kong about ten years ago. That ends the cold war relative to China.

We want one Korea, on our terms. China wants one China, on their terms. Suits me fine. Let's make a deal.

These two events almost totally end the cold war in Asia; there'd be one free Korea and one communist China. Then we could bring our military forces home from SK as part of the deal and we'll no longer need to militarily and politically support Taiwan.

I've never heard of this scenario, or anything like it, ever voiced by our leaders or by our media. Why is that?

Your thoughts?

China is the key power in regards to both Taiwan and Korea. The Chinese consider both territories as belonging to China. China lost control of both Korea and Taiwan when it fought a war with Japan in the 1890s. Before that Taiwan was Chinese territory and Korea was a vassal state of the Chinese Empire. China wants Taiwan to either peaceful reunite with China as a special region like Macau or Hong Kong or if not possible be reunited by military action. China views the USA as neither having the right to protect Taiwan from its forces or being able to give it to them. You dont give stolen property as a gift. The Chinese don't want a free powerful independent Korea on its border. It doesn't want a Korea aligned with Japan or America on its border. Since the Koreans particularly the South Koreans don't like China or Japan, the present weakened Korea with the North depending on China for survival makes the most sense to China.
China would accept a unified Korea only if it was a Chinese protectorate which relied on China for its defense and toed Chinas foreign policy line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top