Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2009, 07:05 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf1025 View Post
Not everyone who receives food stamps is also on welfare. Not everyone who receives food stamps is lazy. What about people who lose their jobs? Fall suddenly ill? Women on high risk pregnancies who are forced to quit or take personal unpaid leaves because they won't be able to work for the entirety of their pregnancy. Let's say she's a married woman her and her husband were doing fine without food stamps but now that she's unable to work they must get food stamps to help bridge the gap. What do you suggest? That a pregnant woman on bed rest go work at a farm to EARN her food money?
what if on the other side of the coin, a wife with a husband who suddenly has a stroke. You suggest for someone who just had a stoke go work for his food, or send his wife? Oh but she has to take care of him because he can't even care for himself! Not everyone is able to determine their destiny or have full control of them at all times. We have no way of knowing when we'll fall ill or lose our jobs due layoffs. To label everyone taking food stamps as lazy and "leaches sucking off the rest of us" is wrong. I'm glad I've never had to take food stamps but I would never dare go on a public forum and pretend I've walked on everyone else's shoes.
I've had this same go round with a myopic woman who judged people by their appearance while failing to take into account that ANYTHING can happen, that tomorrow's not guaranteed and that G-D forbid, one day she, too, might need food stamps.

Today I drive a nice (not luxury) 3 year-old car with the works. Today my husband is doing well. If something terrible happened during the night that prevented him from working and requiring us to need food stamps, I would still be the owner of a nice 3 year-old car -- which I would be trying frantically to sell in this floundering economy.

For many of us, a sudden serious diagnosis is all it takes to turn our worlds upside-down both emotionally and financially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
LOL that's was I was thinking. Maybe the two well dressed parents are in a job training program. Maybe they are in school. Maybe they have two really crappy jobs that require them to dress up - I had to dress up when I worked at a call center selling Tamarack Tough Packs making $6 an hour Maybe the kids had been out playing and were just dirty. Maybe they'd been at grandma's and that's how they looked when mom picked them up. Maybe we spend too much time looking at people in the grocery store. The only time I notice people is when they're doing something really out of ordinary - like making out in the frozen food aisle while I'm trying to get my ice cream - or having a meltdown at the checkout because Mom won't buy you a Snicker bar. I rarely watch people closely enough to see if the card they are swiping is an EBT or a Visa...that's what the news rags are for. : Angelina caught Brad on the phone with Jen AGAIN
LOL!

That Brad is such a manwhore!

Old 06-28-2009, 07:13 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,078,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Perhaps you can post a picture of an ETB card so we'll all know what to look for while standing in line in the grocery store.
I think each state has different looking cards. The cards I remember seeing in PA looked like this:

580.6 pennsylvania ebt access card 6 (http://www.dpw.state.pa.us/oimpolicymanuals/manuals/bop/fs/580/580-05.htm - broken link)

Old 06-28-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
EBT is a transfer from a government account to a retailer, for it to work in the case of child support the payments would have to be going to the government. I tried looking this up and I found no information to suggest this actually occurs.
Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) Status Report
Idaho, Illinois, Montana, and Vermont have Child Support transferred via EBT

Old 06-28-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) Status Report
Idaho, Illinois, Montana, and Vermont have Child Support transferred via EBT
I've never lived in those states, but what is meant by "Child support" here? Is it some sort of government supplied child support? Why would the government be paying the support instead of the person themselves?

I suppose it could be cases where wages are being garnished or something of that nature.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
I've never lived in those states, but what is meant by "Child support" here? Is it some sort of government supplied child support? Why would the government be paying the support instead of the person themselves?

I suppose it could be cases where wages are being garnished or something of that nature.

Yes, money paid to the state by garnishing the wages, or received by the state from the ex-spouse. The Government is not paying the support, but the government had a hand in helping obtain the support from the deadbeat parent.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:27 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:

I think the way it works is that in some cases the state collects the money from the non custodial parent and then sends it to the custodial parent.

That could also include garnishments etc., I guess. Every state has a Child Support Enforcement type of agency.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:29 PM

2,203 posts, read 5,082,946 times
Quote:

No...the CS is paid by the absent parent through the courts or CSE, which is then sent by the state into an account held by the benefit holder...you use the money with an EBT or Debit Card.....

Old 06-28-2009, 07:36 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times
Quote:
Huh? How would watching shop tell me how they are paying for their food? I'm not sure what is hard to understand about this, you can usually see what someone is buying and how they are paying when you are in back of them at the grocery store. An EBT card is easy to discern from a few feet away.
Exactly! How does watching people shop tell you how they're paying for their food?

See this is what I'm having a hard time understanding - what kind of vision do you have where you can tell what type of card a person is sliding unless you are standing right behind them? I went to a Target today and they credit card reader has me slide the card with the strip facing in which means the front of the card is facing out - which means you wouldn't be able to see it if you were standing behind me. Or unless I wave it in the air. Aside from all that WHY THE HELL ARE YOU LOOKING?!?

If I was paying for something and notice someone is watching me type in my pin number I'd wonder if the person was planning on robbing me when I left the store.

It's really sad that you have nothing better to do but follow people around the grocery store to see how they're paying for their groceries. Even sadder that you seem to have memorized this receipt to the point that you know the name brand, quantity and size of the products that were purchased.

As I said before, if they end the food stamp program tomorrow you will still not be able to purchase more food for your family, why are you letting this upset you so? Do you think that family with the 3 dirty kids are sitting at home worried about you and you paid for your food?

Old 06-28-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Yes, money paid to the state by garnishing the wages, or received by the state from the ex-spouse. The Government is not paying the support, but the government had a hand in helping obtain the support from the deadbeat parent.
Yeah, that could make sense. But then these cases are not the norm. Personally, all the people I know that pay/receive child support do so directly.

Regardless, according to the information posted none of the state's I've lived do this sort of thing. So EBT payments are from food stamps or another sort of government program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies