U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2009, 08:45 PM

12,256 posts, read 16,224,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Thanks, but I can take care of myself.
I'd guess you'd have to be if you make a habit out of watching people use their credit cards. If someone alerted security to that and they questioned you, I'd love to here that response "Oh no I'm not planning on stealing her purse, it's just a hobby of mine to look at people's credit cards"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 08:51 PM
LML

7,110 posts, read 8,125,150 times
[quote=user_id;9512560]I have normal vision and can easily see a 2x3 inch card a few feet away
Most grocery stores have their card readers positioned in front of the cashier parallel to the the line. Its easy to see what people are using. Target's are usually positioned differently, but its not difficult to see there either.

Because I'm bored standing in a line and nosy. I usually don't look when they are entering their pins though.

Why are you even mentioning this? When did I say I follow people around the grocery store? As I said previously, I'm talking about being in line with people. In terms of when I'm standing in line, you're right I have nothing better to do than look at what people are buying and how they are paying for it. Perhaps you find the ceiling or floor more interesting?

Its sad that I can remember something I looked at? Umm....okay.

If the programs were modified tomorrow a small reduction could be made in taxes.[/QUOTE]

If you want to see a REAL reduction in taxes, leave those folks with food stamps alone and start following the fat cats on Wall Street who are living large and eating lobster on yachts paid for with your tax dollars.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:52 PM

12,476 posts, read 17,467,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
The ones at my Target you actually have to slide the card into a feeder, so for a few seconds it's not visible at all. For you to still be able to see them, you have to be standing close - too close.
You don't have to be standing close. I see what cards people are using at Target all the time. Its not like people take their card out of their wallet, swipe it, and put it back in a matter of a few seconds. I don't even know why this is being discussed.....

Quote:
Oh okay so I was right, you just don't have anything else to do but mind other people's business. Glad you can admit it.
Yes, while in line at the grocery store I don't have better things to do. How would you suggest I spend my time in line? Should I look at banal publications? The candy bars? The options are pretty limited....

Quote:
Extremely. If this was a few days ago and you're still able to quote all the information that you listed it means you did more than look at it - you pretty much studied it.
No, I have a rather good photographic memory. I apologize if my memory in such cases is better than yours.

Quote:
I'd guess you'd have to be if you make a habit out of watching people use their credit cards. If someone alerted security to that and they questioned you, I'd love to here that response "Oh no I'm not planning on stealing her purse, it's just a hobby of mine to look at people's credit cards"
What are people going to alert security about? "Oh this guy behind me was looking in my direction". If the store security questioned me about, I'd simply walk away. In all my years of being nosy, nothing like this has happened. Again, I can take care of myself.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:53 PM

2,560 posts, read 5,184,267 times
They are a stupid program because they are government provided. A friend of mine was getting them for herself and her grandson. She bought the best steaks and fresh seafood at the deli. Said she had to use it or lose it. You can use them at fast food places. The only things you can't buy are cleaning / personal items and liquor / cigarettes.

If things keep going the direction BO is aiming for, we may all become very familiar with food stamps.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:57 PM

21,812 posts, read 27,893,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post
They are a stupid program because they are government provided. A friend of mine was getting them for herself and her grandson. She bought the best steaks and fresh seafood at the deli. Said she had to use it or lose it. You can use them at fast food places. The only things you can't buy are cleaning / personal items and liquor / cigarettes.

If things keep going the direction BO is aiming for, we may all become very familiar with food stamps.
Oh please.

Can you provide proof of this? I find it very hard to believe that McD's et al accept food stamps.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:59 PM

6,662 posts, read 6,844,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Oh please.

Can you provide proof of this? I find it very hard to believe that McD's et al accept food stamps.
That is correct; you cannot use food stamps for restaurants, except in special cases for seniors.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:02 PM

21,812 posts, read 27,893,470 times
Quote:

Good for her for buying fresh seafood for her grandson and caring about his health. I suppose you'd rather see the poor kid grow up on top ramen and boxed mac and cheese though.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:03 PM

12,256 posts, read 16,224,046 times
Quote:
You don't have to be standing close. I see what cards people are using at Target all the time. Its not like people take their card out of their wallet, swipe it, and put it back in a matter of a few seconds. I don't even know why this is being discussed.....
Oh that's right; they take them out swipe them, lay them on the counter and then break into song and dance. I guess maybe it's a West Coast thing, here people usually don't even have the card out until the cashier is done ringing (I know that because it annoys me to have to wait while you search through your purse) they swipe it and then they put it away.I have a habit of waiting to receive my receipt before I put it away. Either way I think it's very strange that you think it's normal to watch people use their credit cards.

Quote:
Yes, while in line at the grocery store I don't have better things to do.
Well, we've already determined that.

Quote:
No, I have a rather good photographic memory. I apologize if my memory in such cases is better than yours.
My memory is actually quite well thank you. I just wouldn't have spent time looking at a receipt that wasn't mine. When I get a receipt that isn't mine, I just toss it. It doesn't interest me what items other people are eating and how much they paid for them.

Quote:
You can use them at fast food places. If things keep going the direction BO is aiming for, we may all become very familiar with food stamps.
Wow more lies, easily disproved lies at that. And then at the end a shot at the POTUS because of course he invented food stamps.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:04 PM

471 posts, read 876,042 times
Quote:

Food stamps can't be used to buy fast food!! At least not in NYS here is the website for what can be and cannot be purchased:
HRA - Information on How to Apply

What items cannot be purchased with Food Stamps?
  • Prepared hot foods in grocery stores
  • Any prepared food (hot or cold) sold and meant to be eaten at the store
  • Alcoholic beverages and tobacco
  • Cleaning products, paper products, toiletries, and cooking utensils
  • Pet supplies
  • Items for food preservation such as canning jars and lids, freezer containers, or food wrapping paper
  • Medicines, vitamins or minerals
  • Items for gardening such as fertilizer and peat moss
Oh, just like someone else said they let you buy seeds to plant, but no already prepared food.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:09 PM

46 posts, read 54,856 times
Who would Jesus snoop on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies