U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2009, 09:13 PM

544 posts, read 937,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Anyhow, why have food stamps when the people so wastefully spend them?
because without them you wouldnt have anything to do while in the grocery store or anything to complain about while at home they're purpose is to entertain you now don't you feel like they fulfilled their purpose they've entertained you for 12 pages

oh and as a woman from a large metropolitain area i would certainly alert security if i were shopping alone and noticed a man looking at my credit card. As someone esle mentioned watching someones money is a key trait of a purse snatcher. They might not question you though probably just walk me to my car. But I would still report it nosy or not it's very unsettling to think someone is watching you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 09:17 PM

12,476 posts, read 17,408,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Oh that's right; they take them out swipe them, lay them on the counter and then break into song and dance. I guess maybe it's a West Coast thing...
I've lived on the east and west coast, if anything people are faster about it on the west coast. Regardless, my point is that people usually have their card out enough to see it.

Quote:
Either way I think it's very strange that you think it's normal to watch people use their credit cards.
I never said it was "normal", I'm not concerned with whether its normal or not. I'm concerned with how I want to spend my time while waiting in line. Being amused at what people purchase, how they purchase it etc is how I spend such time. You are free to do something else.

Quote:
My memory is actually quite well thank you.
Then you should not be surprised that someone can look at something once and remember what's on it a few days later. But this is apparently what you do, attack people instead of looking at the actual issue.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLater View Post
oh and as a woman from a large metropolitain area i would certainly alert security if i were shopping alone and noticed a man looking at my credit card. As someone esle mentioned watching someones money is a key trait of a purse snatcher. They might not question you though probably just walk me to my car. But I would still report it nosy or not it's very unsettling to think someone is watching you
People are too busy with finalizing their purchase to notice who is looking at them while they are checking out. They would have to be concerned before they starting to check out, but I don't look threatening etc. I'm sure if I was a big Moderator cut: offensive guy I'd have been arrested by now. Regardless, I've never had a problem with my people watching tendencies.

Last edited by fauve; 06-28-2009 at 11:21 PM..

Old 06-28-2009, 09:23 PM

21,646 posts, read 27,723,234 times
We're having some pretty hard times in this country right now. I have to wonder if the type of judgmental hostility expressed by some of the posters in this thread isn't reflective of their own personal fears with regards to the economy, etc.

Compassion doesn't cost anything and we're gonna pay taxes no matter what.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:23 PM

12,256 posts, read 16,169,431 times
Quote:
I've lived on the east and west coast, if anything people are faster about it on the west coast. Regardless, my point is that people usually have their card out enough to see it.
I never said it was "normal", I'm not concerned with whether its normal or not. I'm concerned with how I want to spend my time while waiting in line. Being amused at what people purchase, how they purchase it etc is how I spend such time. You are free to do something else.

Then you should not be surprised that someone can look at something once and remember what's on it a few days later. But this is apparently what you do, attack people instead of looking at the actual issue.
I wasn't attacking you - I just find it sad that you looked at it that closely period. I Never said you were sad. I say the same thing to my bf when he looks at the receipts at the gas station - why do you care if the person ahead of you pumped $80 worth of gas

But hey if checking out people's credit cards amuses you then keep doing it. For further amusement you should say "hey, I noticed you're using food stamps...now it's my business as a tax payer so I'm wondering why are you buying premium meats and expensive snack food" then the trips to the grocery store would get a lot more amusing.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:24 PM

Quote:
People are too busy with finalizing their purchase to notice who is looking at them while they are checking out. They would have to be concerned before they starting to check out, but I don't look threatening etc. I'm sure if I was a big black guy I'd have been arrested by now. Regardless, I've never had a problem with my people watching tendencies.
Oh...I get it now. You're a wimpy little white guy.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:27 PM

544 posts, read 937,774 times
Quote:
I'm sure if I was a big black guy I'd have been arrested by now. .
yes because there's never been any crimes committed by non-threatening looking white men...wow it's amazing where the threads will go when the OP doesn't have a point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Oh...I get it now. You're a wimpy little white guy.
With nothing to do but look at other people obviously

Old 06-28-2009, 09:30 PM

A couple of our renters are on food stamps. One of them is a senior citizen so sick with cancer that she weighs around 80 pounds and can barely eat anything. If I ever hear of anyone saying anything about her son in the store--because he's the one who does the shopping--I'll can and will make their lives a living hell.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
We're having some pretty hard times in this country right now. I have to wonder if the type of judgmental hostility expressed by some of the posters in this thread....

Compassion doesn't cost anything and we're gonna pay taxes no matter what.
Talking about welfare reform is not "judgmental hostility". Additionally, I don't understand why people say things "we're gonna pay taxes no matter what". The taxes in the US use to be dramatically lower before the New Deal policies, etc. Now the distribution of wealth has returned to levels seen before the depression so these social programs seem to do nothing to improve the lives of people. Instead, they steal money from tax payers by foce and give it to other groups.

Quote:
I wasn't attacking you - I just find it sad that you looked at it that closely period.
Of course you are. Instead of talking about the actual issue you are making statements about me personally.

Quote:
then the trips to the grocery store would get a lot more amusing.
Not, really I'm not interested in starting fights over it which with this demographic of people would be the likely outcome of such a comment.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:34 PM

12,256 posts, read 16,169,431 times
Quote:
People are too busy with finalizing their purchase to notice who is looking at them while they are checking out. They would have to be concerned before they starting to check out, but I don't look threatening etc. I'm sure if I was a big black guy I'd have been arrested by now. Regardless, I've never had a problem with my people watching tendencies.
There's a difference between people watching and invasion of privacy. I would consider purposely looking at someone's credit card an invasion of privacy. I'm not even going to comment on the big black guy thing because what I'd say would be cut by the Moderator anyway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies