U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2009, 10:32 PM

12,476 posts, read 17,463,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I think that most of us would feel more threatened by a wimpy white guy paying close attention to our credit/debit cards while in line in a store than we would be a big black guy who was acting normally.
Again people are too busy finalizing their sale to worry about who is looking at them, they may look around if they already feel threatened by something though. That was the point of my comments, people do not feel threaten by me.

Is there a particular reason why you can't discuss matters without insulting people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLater View Post
But the brand and the size of the fruit juice they brought were...righhhht if you were really pissed off about them wasting a $150....
Yes right. I don't even recall looking at the balance on the card. I really don't know why you've now posted 3 times on this banality.

Quote:
I doubt there was even a receipt. Especially since you said this was someplace yo ushop now and then turned around in said in the upsclae area you live in you're not likely to see people using food stamps.
Yes, I decided to come on city data and lie about a receipt. You are pretending to "expose me", yet if I was lying why wouldn't I just lie about the balance Makes no sense.

I never "turned around" anything, the beginning of my OP stated:

"I use to go shopping at a grocery store in the poorer part of town and noticed that a lot of people using food stamps made stupid purchases. Anyhow, yesterday I was..."

Later I clarified that the receipt in question was not from a grocery store in a poor community.

Seriously, talk about the actual issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 10:37 PM

544 posts, read 940,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
It took the AG's office to get that rolling, we'll see how it fairs during the test period. Hopefully this will be extended to other warehouse locations.
If I had food stamps and lived in the area I'd drive the extra distance to shop there. If it works you can bet Sams will be next to accept them - no way the Wal-mart greedies are going to be left out of anything

Old 06-28-2009, 10:38 PM

By the way Costco is really not any cheaper than a grocery store. Grocery stores and Costco just have different pricing models. If you take advantage of the grocery store's pricing model you can actually get things cheaper than at Costco. But, your typical person on food stamps is probably not able to play the grocery arbitrage game so Costco, etc would do them well.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Yes, I decided to come on city data and lie about a receipt. You are pretending to "expose me", yet if I was lying why wouldn't I just lie about the balance Makes no sense.

I never "turned around" anything, the beginning of my OP stated:

"I use to go shopping at a grocery store in the poorer part of town and noticed that a lot of people using food stamps made stupid purchases. Anyhow, yesterday I was..."

Later I clarified that the receipt in question was not from a grocery store in a poor community.

Seriously, talk about the actual issue.
No what you said was yesterday you found this receipt but then you later said you dont know what the food stamps cards look like in CA because you live in an upscale area and it's unlikely that people who have food stamps will shop there.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:45 PM

Quote:
No what you said was yesterday you found this receipt but then you later said you dont know what the food stamps cards look like in CA because you live in an upscale area and it's unlikely that people who have food stamps will shop there.
Yes and your point? I did not even see the person, I only saw the receipt. I don't recall seeing anybody use a EBT card while in California, but few people around here are likely to be using them. The rent allow pushes you above the income requirements. My comments about seeing people use the cards are from when I lived in Pennsylvania , as I stated previously I would often shop at the grocery store in the black community which had a lot of low-income shoppers. I would see people use EBT cards all the time there. Some people do move, ya know?

Old 06-28-2009, 10:46 PM

12,256 posts, read 16,220,095 times
Quote:
By the way Costco is really not any cheaper than a grocery store. Grocery stores and Costco just have different pricing models. If you take advantage of the grocery store's pricing model you can actually get things cheaper than at Costco. But, your typical person on food stamps is probably not able to play the grocery arbitrage game so Costco, etc would do them well.
So now people on food stamps can't do math I don't know about other people but I know when I was on food stamps it made more sense for me to pay $12 for the box of Tilapia with 20 pieces of fish than to buy the $5 bag from Wal-mart with 6 pieces. It also made more sense for me to buy the big box of cereal (it has two bags inside the box) for $6 or $7 than to pay $4 for one box at the regular market. Maybe the Costco is really expensive where you live though; in my experience Sams, Costco, BJs usually have a cheaper unit price than regular supermarkets.

Quote:
Maybe the food was purchased by an upscale LA family who just lost some of their income and has not yet adjusted to their new financial status, hence the premium foods. They purchased what they are accustomed to - there mystery solved.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Yes and your point? I did not even see the person, I only saw the receipt. I don't recall seeing anybody use a EBT card while in California, but few people around here are likely to be using them. The rent allow pushes you above the income requirements. My comments about seeing people use the cards are from when I lived in Pennsylvania , as I stated previously I would often shop at the grocery store in the black community which had a lot of low-income shoppers. I would see people use EBT cards all the time there. Some people do move, ya know?
yes of course it's natural to assume that a black community will have a lot of low-income shoppers...why did you even feel it necessary to bring that up? I don't see how that validated your point at all since we are not talking about where you used to live unless the receipt you found yesterday was in PA and you moved to upscale CA, where the rent pushes you above the income requirements so people who have food stamps probably don't live there, this morning. yawn, everything you've said has already been said ad nauseum on this forum.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:51 PM
LML

7,110 posts, read 8,123,240 times
Quote:
Again, with insults. Talk about the issue. I'm not small or wimpy, I'm a white male that is usually dressed nice. People take no notice to people like me (in terms of being worried about crime, etc).

When did I suggest such a thing? But people generally do not feel threatened by white men that are well dressed. Where as a big black guy in a white community can't walk around without people thinking he is going to car-jack them.

Regardless, the point of the OP is obvious. Food stamp programs are abused and should be modified so that the people on them can only purchase well priced nutritionally essential food stuffs.

Hmmm. That's how Ted Bundy and a number of other serial killers got away with it too. This is getting creepy. I'll bet you that I'll start paying attention to what strange people are paying attention when I use my credit card. Eww!

Old 06-28-2009, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
So now people on food stamps can't do math I don't know about other people but I know when I was on food stamps it made more sense for me to pay $12 for the box of Tilapia with 20 pieces of fish than to buy the $5 bag from Wal-mart with 6 pieces. It also made more sense for me to buy the big box of cereal
Its not about basic math. You're just demonstrating is that you don't shop in a way that takes advantage of the way grocery stores price matters. But, look, if you are the sort of person that just needs to buy X, Y, Z every week then Costco is the better place to shop. But if you can shift what you buy each week, then you can take advantage of the way grocery stores do their pricing. You also have to be willing to not be shy about buying generics, many grocery stores have two line of generics even. Its just classic price discrimination.

Quote:
yes of course it's natural to assume that a black community will have a lot of low-income shoppers...why did you even feel it necessary to bring that up? I don't see how that validated your point at all since we are not talking about where you used to live unless the receipt you found yesterday was in PA and you moved to upscale CA,
Please read the original post. I talked about two things 1.) Seeing what people purchased at the grocery store where I use to live, 2.) The receipt that that I had just looked at. I'm not sure what is so hard to understand here....

Where I live is irrelevant, someone assumed that the receipt was from a poor community and I clarified matters.

Again, talk about the actual issue. Whether you think I'm lying about the receipt, are confused about me moving, etc is immaterial.

Old 06-28-2009, 11:06 PM

12,256 posts, read 16,220,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Hmmm. That's how Ted Bundy and a number of other serial killers got away with it too. This is getting creepy. I'll bet you that I'll start paying attention to what strange people are paying attention when I use my credit card. Eww!
LOl he would have never gotten me. You know, being a big black girl I'm naturally paranoid so I'm always looking around me If I saw him staring at my credit card I would have loudly said "Is there a reason you're staring at my wallet?" If I'm going to get attacked, I'm going to draw as much attention to myself as possible - I'd make a horrible victim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies