U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2009, 11:12 PM

544 posts, read 937,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Please read the original post. I talked about two things 1.) Seeing what people purchased at the grocery store where I use to live, 2.) The receipt that that I had just looked at. I'm not sure what is so hard to understand here....
Please read clearly:

Quote:
Anyhow, yesterday I was at the grocery store and used an automated check and the person's receipt before mine got stuck to mine and did not realize it until I looked at home.
Quote:
I have no idea what they look like in California, I don't shop at the same sort of stores that people on food stamps are likely to shop here.
So what you're saying is that in this upscale area where the housing costs pretty much conclude those on food stamps wouldn't be living/shopping in the area but yet you managed to get the receipt of the one person who did?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 11:14 PM

16,800 posts, read 29,000,265 times
Quote:
By the way Costco is really not any cheaper than a grocery store. Grocery stores and Costco just have different pricing models. If you take advantage of the grocery store's pricing model you can actually get things cheaper than at Costco. But, your typical person on food stamps is probably not able to play the grocery arbitrage game so Costco, etc would do them well.
Why are they "probably not able to play the grocery arbitrage game"?

It doesn't take much to read the fliers, clip coupons and comparison shop. Veggies are less in BJs than at the grocery, unless they are being sold as a loss leader in the grocery that week. Jumbo boxes of cereal and oatmeal are cheaper than the grocery store. If you have a coupon, BJs will accept it.

Old 06-28-2009, 11:16 PM

12,256 posts, read 16,169,431 times
Quote:
Its not about basic math. You're just demonstrating is that you don't shop in a way that takes advantage of the way grocery stores price matters. But, look, if you are the sort of person that just needs to buy X, Y, Z every week then Costco is the better place to shop. But if you can shift what you buy each week, then you can take advantage of the way grocery stores do their pricing.

I don't understand what you're saying in this post - one of the benefits to shopping in bulk is so that you don't have to go to the store every week. And in general, I typically buy the same items - I don't know of anyone who buys something different every time they go to the store. I would think something as common as cereal would be a staple in just about any household that has children Can you explain what this means "But if you can shift what you buy each week, then you can take advantage of the way grocery stores do their pricing" the only conclusion I could get is when the grocery store has a sale - like buy one get one free.

Old 06-28-2009, 11:23 PM

12,476 posts, read 17,408,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLater View Post
So what you're saying is that in this upscale area where the housing costs pretty much conclude those on food stamps wouldn't be living/shopping in the area but yet you managed to get the receipt of the one person who did?
Yes, that's what I'm saying. And? Obviously, less people are going to be using food stamps in higher income areas. But that does not mean nobody is going to be using them. Perhaps the person is a single mother with a low-income that happens to be living with family. Perhaps it was someone in the area from one of the poorer communities near by. I have no idea, I did not see the person.

Old 06-28-2009, 11:23 PM

241 posts, read 713,082 times
I never look down upon anyone because you dont know the day or the hour when something can happen to you and take everything you got. I recall this girl I went to high school with. She was one of the what they call, "cute and popular" but she was a horrible person. Picked on people, fighting people all the time. Just mean and judgemental to people. I saw her a couple of years ago. She is in a wheelchair from a head-on car crash. You never know what may happen to you. It took away all her good looks. All the bad stuff she did to people is now being done to her. Go figure

Old 06-28-2009, 11:25 PM
LML

7,109 posts, read 8,099,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
LOl he would have never gotten me. You know, being a big black girl I'm naturally paranoid so I'm always looking around me If I saw him staring at my credit card I would have loudly said "Is there a reason you're staring at my wallet?" If I'm going to get attacked, I'm going to draw as much attention to myself as possible - I'd make a horrible victim.
My kids tease me and say if someone attacked me I'd start scolding him and say; "Does your mother know what you're up to? Is this the way she raised you? Shame on you. You need to ask the Lord for forgiveness and start doing better." They also figure that along about then he'd just shoot me to shut me up. I think, on the whole, your way is better.

Old 06-28-2009, 11:32 PM

12,256 posts, read 16,169,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
My kids tease me and say if someone attacked me I'd start scolding him and say; "Does your mother know what you're up to? Is this the way she raised you? Shame on you. You need to ask the Lord for forgiveness and start doing better." They also figure that along about then he'd just shoot me to shut me up. I think, on the whole, your way is better.
LMAO my bf thinks my way will get me shot but I told him "If I'm going to be killed I'm going to make sure somebody sees something - none of that disappeared without a trace crap for me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLater View Post
Please read clearly:

Oh just forget the damn receipt. We're all off topic anyway I don't know what type of response he was expecting with a thread titled "why are food stamp programs so stupid" but I'm sure it wasn't a back and forth about the receipt. If it'll make you feel better, when I was black and poor I used to go shop in really upscale grocery stores with my food stamp card and leave my receipt just for funsies - I'm sure I'm not the only one

Old 06-28-2009, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Why are they "probably not able to play the grocery arbitrage game"?
Generally the poor are not well educated and do not understand pricing models etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Veggies are less in BJs than at the grocery, unless they are being sold as a loss leader in the grocery that week. Jumbo boxes of cereal and oatmeal are cheaper than the grocery store. If you have a coupon, BJs will accept it.
I've never shopped at "BJs". But veggies at the grocery store are usually not priced that well. I don't think they are priced well at places like Costco either though, but it is cheaper.

I find the cereals at Costco over priced. The grocery stores often have them on sell for $1.75~$2.00 or you can buy generics at Target for $2.25.

Anyhow, my point is that shopping at places at Costco does not necessarily save you that much money. Costco has good prices on some items, but most can be gotten for less on sale at the grocery store or by buying generics.

Quote:
I don't understand what you're saying in this post - one of the benefits to shopping in bulk is so that you don't have to go to the store every week.
Buying in bulk to avoid going to the grocery store is a completely different issue. I'm talking about price alone. I can't imagine not going to the grocery store every week though.

Quote:
And in general, I typically buy the same items - I don't know of anyone who buys something different every time they go to the store.
You do now. With the exception of essentials (toilet paper, etc) I adjust my shopping based on what is on sale. I get sick of eating the same stuff anyways.

Quote:
Can you explain what this means "But if you can shift what you buy each week, then you can take advantage of the way grocery stores do their pricing" the only conclusion I could get is when the grocery store has a sale - like buy one get one free.
Right, you base your meals around the grocery store sales (the front page sales are usually rather cheap). I use generics for any base supplies I need (flour, butter, etc).

Old 06-28-2009, 11:52 PM

Also, why are people conflating disability with food stamp programs for the low income?

In this country low income folks can do something about it. There is no reason to supply them with things above and beyond the absolute basics.

On the other hand someone who is disabled often can't do something about it. Disability should supply the truly disabled enough to live reasonably, on the other hand there should be no moral obligation from the state to give low-income folks a reasonable life-style. They need to earn it.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:51 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,335,124 times
Quote:
Also, why are people conflating disability with food stamp programs for the low income?

In this country low income folks can do something about it. There is no reason to supply them with things above and beyond the absolute basics.

On the other hand someone who is disabled often can't do something about it. Disability should supply the truly disabled enough to live reasonably, on the other hand there should be no moral obligation from the state to give low-income folks a reasonable life-style. They need to earn it.
Because most of these people no nothing about the programs they speak of. They only know what they've "heard".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies