U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2009, 12:54 PM

9,644 posts, read 8,623,442 times

Advertisements

You can use food stamps at fast food places?? Seriously
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 03:47 PM

3,388 posts, read 5,751,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
You can use food stamps at fast food places?? Seriously
No, you can't. Unless you are a senior citizen (only in certain states), and have a certain set of circumstances that would not allow you to be able to cook for yourself. But even then, I don't think so. During those situations, I know the food truck comes and feeds some of those people.

In KY, I know you can use FS anywhere there is a FS card reader (so grocery stores, SOME convenience stores/gas stations, and Wal-mart accept them. Also some of those meat places accept them too (like where you buy bulk meat in pre picked packs), Also Angel Food ministries accepts FS for their food pack purchases. (which is a GREAT program, and gets a good amount of food for very good prices.)

Not all food is covered either. Cold fountain drinks are not covered unless there is no straw in them, no hot food (like the hot food section of the deli, where the pre-cooked rotisserie chicken is) that is ready to eat (like plate lunches), no tobacco, no alcohol, no household goods (soap, toilet paper, etc...that also includes pet foods).

Those are the only restrictions I know of, but it has been 4 yrs since we needed them, so I don't know if there are new restrictions, but those were in place in 05.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:59 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,468,082 times
So, we have heard a story about a young woman who lost her husband in a war; a woman who ran out of the store, in tears, leaving her groceries behind; we learned about a GM executive who, among other GM executives, hassled and judged people on FS and then they themselves had to get assistance; we have heard about a disabled person in a wheelchair, with college degrees who has been unable to obtain employment, a woman struggling to raise a child, going to college and working as a cashier to help support her child and we are STILL getting judgments and criticism about people needing FS....wow....how absolutely disgraceful that is....

I hope those who continue to judge and condemn and decide what is best for those people who are struggling to survive, not live but simply survive are never in those shoes...I don't know how they would even function.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:13 PM

4,116 posts, read 2,797,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
I use to go shopping at a grocery store in the poorer part of town and noticed that a lot of people using food stamps made stupid purchases. Anyhow, yesterday I was at the grocery store and used an automated check and the person's receipt before mine got stuck to mine and did not realize it until I looked at home.

Regardless, the total was for $150 and the type of purchases were pretty ridiculous. For example they spent $10 on premium fruit juice (two 1/2 gallon containers), $12 on two packs of premium hot dogs, expensive snack foods, etc. Around $100 of it was spent very wastefully, the other $50 was spent on meats and such that were on sale. Anyhow, for the same money I could easily get double the food.

Anyhow, why have food stamps when the people so wastefully spend them? They are essentially store gift cards with some restricts. I don't think anybody should starve in an advanced country like the US, but at the same time why are tax payers forking out money so low-income folks can buy foods that many of don't buy because of the high costs?

Oh that's NOTHING compared to where I live and the Europeans are buying their FUR COATS AND MINKS with FOOD STAMPS!!!!! Outside a fur store in a Russian neighborhood the sign clearly states "WE ACCEPT FOOD STAMPS FOR ANY PURCHASE" they are nice and warm in their beautiful coats and some people that REALLY NEED IT with CHILDREN can not get any TOTALLY DISGUSTING.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:16 PM

786 posts, read 925,999 times
I think this is getting a bit ridiculous. Are there people that abuse food stamp and welfare programs? Yes. Could these programs be made better? Probably so. Do these programs serve a good overall purpouse? yes. Are they a unnecessary burden on the taxpayer compared with other government spending? give me a break.

We're fighting 2 wars that we shouldn't be fighting that have cost the taxpayers over $1 trillion dollars. The government wasted $700 billion on the TARP bailout and they are letting the executives do whatever the hell they want. Citibank, currently worth $21 billion , has accepted $45 billion of taxpayer funds, (We should own the damn company 2 times! ) and it's CEO, Vikram Pandit has the nerve to pay himself $38 million. These banks are investing bailout funds in countries like China and Dubai. Congress is asking for $2 billion to build a fighter jet that the pentagon doesn't even want. This fighter jet was made especially to fight the Soviet Union (yeah the same Soviet Union that collapsed almost 20 years ago) but the politicans would prefer to line the pockets of Lockheed Martin (the plane's manufacturer) executives than spending the money on more important priorities. We spend over $6 billion a year locking up non-violent drug offenders. Really the inefficencies in the food stamp program are just a small drop in the bucket.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
No, you can't. Unless you are a senior citizen (only in certain states), and have a certain set of circumstances that would not allow you to be able to cook for yourself. But even then, I don't think so. During those situations, I know the food truck comes and feeds some of those people.

In KY, I know you can use FS anywhere there is a FS card reader (so grocery stores, SOME convenience stores/gas stations, and Wal-mart accept them. Also some of those meat places accept them too (like where you buy bulk meat in pre picked packs), Also Angel Food ministries accepts FS for their food pack purchases. (which is a GREAT program, and gets a good amount of food for very good prices.)

Not all food is covered either. Cold fountain drinks are not covered unless there is no straw in them, no hot food (like the hot food section of the deli, where the pre-cooked rotisserie chicken is) that is ready to eat (like plate lunches), no tobacco, no alcohol, no household goods (soap, toilet paper, etc...that also includes pet foods).

Those are the only restrictions I know of, but it has been 4 yrs since we needed them, so I don't know if there are new restrictions, but those were in place in 05.
Thanks I was about to say.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:36 PM

1,922 posts, read 4,352,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e.ortega View Post
Oh that's NOTHING compared to where I live and the Europeans are buying their FUR COATS AND MINKS with FOOD STAMPS!!!!! Outside a fur store in a Russian neighborhood the sign clearly states "WE ACCEPT FOOD STAMPS FOR ANY PURCHASE" they are nice and warm in their beautiful coats and some people that REALLY NEED IT with CHILDREN can not get any TOTALLY DISGUSTING.
I find that hard to believe....but if it is true...have you not reported them to the public assistance fraud department?

Old 06-29-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfields View Post
I think this is getting a bit ridiculous. Are there people that abuse food stamp and welfare programs? Yes. Could these programs be made better? Probably so. Do these programs serve a good overall purpouse? yes. Are they a unnecessary burden on the taxpayer compared with other government spending? give me a break.

We're fighting 2 wars that we shouldn't be fighting that have cost the taxpayers over $1 trillion dollars. The government wasted $700 billion on the TARP bailout and they are letting the executives do whatever the hell they want. Citibank, currently worth $21 billion , has accepted $45 billion of taxpayer funds, (We should own the damn company 2 times! ) and it's CEO, Vikram Pandit has the nerve to pay himself $38 million. These banks are investing bailout funds in countries like China and Dubai. Congress is asking for $2 billion to build a fighter jet that the pentagon doesn't even want. This fighter jet was made especially to fight the Soviet Union (yeah the same Soviet Union that collapsed almost 20 years ago) but the politicans would prefer to line the pockets of Lockheed Martin (the plane's manufacturer) executives than spending the money on more important priorities. We spend over $6 billion a year locking up non-violent drug offenders. Really the inefficencies in the food stamp program are just a small drop in the bucket.
The dollar amount of gov waste doesnt matter. If they are wasting 1.00 to 100 trillion dollars. It all adds up.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:39 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,050,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
I use to go shopping at a grocery store in the poorer part of town and noticed that a lot of people using food stamps made stupid purchases. Anyhow, yesterday I was at the grocery store and used an automated check and the person's receipt before mine got stuck to mine and did not realize it until I looked at home.

Regardless, the total was for $150 and the type of purchases were pretty ridiculous. For example they spent $10 on premium fruit juice (two 1/2 gallon containers), $12 on two packs of premium hot dogs, expensive snack foods, etc. Around $100 of it was spent very wastefully, the other $50 was spent on meats and such that were on sale. Anyhow, for the same money I could easily get double the food.

Anyhow, why have food stamps when the people so wastefully spend them? They are essentially store gift cards with some restricts. I don't think anybody should starve in an advanced country like the US, but at the same time why are tax payers forking out money so low-income folks can buy foods that many of don't buy because of the high costs?
so you seen 1 person use it wastefully and now the entire system should be stopped.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:51 PM

Oh come on lets not act like there is not a lot of fraud that goes along with Food stamps. That people dont lie on their applications to get approved.

That people dont sell their food stamps once approved.

Do all that get it commit fraud no. Heck I know 2 people that are getting it....one has been with her " man" for 17 years have 2 children and will straight up tell you they dont get married so she can still collect all the stuff she gets from the state. While living together and he earns over 25.00 an hour.

The other lied on the app and got someone to back it up for her.

The one I know from my past that got them. She sold her food stamps. She would buy you food and you pay her half of what she spent in cash.

So you really cant turn either one in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies