U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 01:25 PM

2,502 posts, read 3,142,934 times

Advertisements

What's stupid about food stamp programs?

Setting them up in a way so people can abuse it. Nuff said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 01:31 PM

14,505 posts, read 23,786,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
The Department of Defense's spent $640 on a toilet seat and $436 on a hammer and the National Park Service gets a $797,400 outhouse....

and you're wondering why the government allows people to make stupid purchases with food stamps?
an 800 outhouse...

other than soda, I cant believe the OP is tallying up what a person spent on mundane food purchases...they arent allowed beer and luxury items, or do you want to ire a food-police system to watch each person as they check out....people are unreal. You are jealous because they buy expensive chips.....for shame

Old 09-07-2011, 01:40 PM

14,505 posts, read 23,786,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I don't know about your state, but in our state there used to be a special place that people went to get food that was free. Food stamps came along so their feelings would not be hurt and they would not be shamed to have to go get the food at that place.

I don't see this changing because there seems to be more people using food stamps than people buying their own food. Do you think they are going to vote for the president that changes that.

I am like you. I want everyone to be able to eat, but there should be some accountability, such as having to return the receipt to someone who can check to make sure the nutrition is being bought.

Does this bother me? Only because it is not right. But there is One that sees everything that happens and although some don't realize it, He is in control. I praise God that our needs have always been provided. People think they are getting away with things, but they are not. Some day this will all come home to roost.
Thats a great idea in a utopian society...Goodwill and Good Samaritan or first harvest are food banks, they however, arent in enough regions to feed everyone...

Please dont invoke Gods name when you are talking about taking food away from the needy...

USDA Reports 49 Million are Food Insecure

Among the nearly 49 million Americans facing hunger are more than 16 million children. Five million households experiencing food insecurity include at least one senior.

Read More

Old 09-07-2011, 01:42 PM

12,476 posts, read 17,455,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
...I cant believe the OP is tallying up what a person spent on mundane food purchases...they arent allowed beer and luxury items, or do you want to ire a food-police system to watch each person as they check out....people are unreal.
Actually...I'm rather interested in people's spending habits. Both from a financial perspective and a sociological/psychological perspective.

Regardless, there is a simple solution here and talking about a "food police" is just silly. The food stamp program can be changed to a food voucher program that greatly limits what people can and cannot purchase.

What is good enough for mothers/children (e.g., the WIC program) is clearly good enough for the rest of those that need food assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
You are jealous because they buy expensive chips.....for shame
I don't recall mentioning anything about being jealous.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:43 AM

1 posts, read 371 times
Default Pay attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post
He uses his food stamps!! He never has cash. Period. He isn't smart enough to hold on to it!!
[FONT=Verdana]He/She didn't say he used cash. He/She said they used their cash benefits. On food stamp cards there are two accounts on it. One for food stamps that will only allow purchases of food. (this does not include food that has a prepared tax to it such as deli ready hot foods) There is another account called "cash benefits" this is money simply used to purchase whatever you need. No, people shouldn't be using it to buy cigarettes or alcohol, that definitely isn't very smart or responsible. With the current economic crisis I think people need to realize that there are those out there who want to work and are trying to find work, but simply are struggling. To qualify for food stamps, in Arizona anyway a family of 4 has to make under $2300 a month. Imagine trying to pay bills and feed your family with only $2300? [/FONT]

Old 09-13-2011, 09:47 AM

43,564 posts, read 52,710,219 times
I say instead of food stamps, just give out the food.
Every single one of us who has worked at a grocery store has seen how the stamps/debit cards are abused on a daily basis.

Given that it's on a freaking DAILY basis and practically every customer, it suggests that MOST food stamp users are abusers.

This system needs to go.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:49 AM

2,086 posts, read 2,172,971 times
[quote=user_id;9499357]I use to go shopping at a grocery store in the poorer part of town and noticed that a lot of people using food stamps made stupid purchases. Anyhow, yesterday I was at the grocery store and used an automated check and the person's receipt before mine got stuck to mine and did not realize it until I looked at home.

Regardless, the total was for $150 and the type of purchases were pretty ridiculous. For example they spent $10 on premium fruit juice (two 1/2 gallon containers), $12 on two packs of premium hot dogs, expensive snack foods, etc. Around $100 of it was spent very wastefully, the other $50 was spent on meats and such that were on sale. Anyhow, for the same money I could easily get double the food.

Anyhow, why have food stamps when the people so wastefully spend them? They are essentially store gift cards with some restricts. I don't think anybody should starve in an advanced country like the US, but at the same time why are tax payers forking out money so low-income folks can buy foods that many of don't buy because of the high costs?[/quote
don't even get me started! This Mexican guy (sorry, but he was) was in front of me in line. He bought Red Bull, a case of beer, hot dogs, hot dog buns. He paid with food stamps. I do not think that you should be able to spend my tax dollars on Red Bull and beer.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:58 AM

10,005 posts, read 9,024,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waianaegirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
I use to go shopping at a grocery store in the poorer part of town and noticed that a lot of people using food stamps made stupid purchases. Anyhow, yesterday I was at the grocery store and used an automated check and the person's receipt before mine got stuck to mine and did not realize it until I looked at home.

Regardless, the total was for $150 and the type of purchases were pretty ridiculous. For example they spent $10 on premium fruit juice (two 1/2 gallon containers), $12 on two packs of premium hot dogs, expensive snack foods, etc. Around $100 of it was spent very wastefully, the other $50 was spent on meats and such that were on sale. Anyhow, for the same money I could easily get double the food.

Anyhow, why have food stamps when the people so wastefully spend them? They are essentially store gift cards with some restricts. I don't think anybody should starve in an advanced country like the US, but at the same time why are tax payers forking out money so low-income folks can buy foods that many of don't buy because of the high costs?
don't even get me started! This Mexican guy (sorry, but he was) was in front of me in line. He bought Red Bull, a case of beer, hot dogs, hot dog buns. He paid with food stamps. I do not think that you should be able to spend my tax dollars on Red Bull and beer.
Food stamps exist in part to help the poor, but that is only part of it. Food stamps also work as a subsidy for grocery stores, and the food industry. Essentially part of the goal in having them and giving them to poor people is so that they do get spent fast and willy nilly to quickly put money into the hands of grocers, farmers and food companies.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:26 AM

2,086 posts, read 2,172,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Food stamps exist in part to help the poor, but that is only part of it. Food stamps also work as a subsidy for grocery stores, and the food industry. Essentially part of the goal in having them and giving them to poor people is so that they do get spent fast and willy nilly to quickly put money into the hands of grocers, farmers and food companies.
Growing up in the more "bad" part of Hawaii, we were on food stamps. Both my parents worked and yet they were not able to survive without them. Which is sad. But they never bought beer or candy or beef jerky, the kinds of things that I see people buying at the store with food stamps these days. I do not think it's right.
I disagree with illegals coming here, getting food stamps and then buying garbage and other non food items. It angers me.
I came from a poor family. I myself was poor and on welfare for 18 months. I was a single mom and worked my butt off so that I could get off of them, and pay my own way in life. I hate that people have kids for the sole purpose to get more welfare.
I hate that people can use food stamps at gas stations, go gambling using their EBT cards, buying lotto tickets.
The list goes on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies