U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 10:46 PM

87,014 posts, read 102,634,943 times

Advertisements

When the food stamp money is gone, it is gone. I agree some people make some poor choices, but then they may run out before the end of the month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 10:46 PM

21,812 posts, read 27,864,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
When you drop your kids off at school the other kids can follow them and chant "You ain't got no ice cream...cause you on the welfare...you can't afford it."
Unfortunately, I'm afraid that you're quite right in that...sometimes I truly do despair of the human race.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:54 PM

21,812 posts, read 27,864,260 times
I admit that sometimes in the grocery store I contemplate the contents of other people's carts. But here in Alaska, you can't tell a person's socioeconomic status by how they dress when they go grocery shopping; in fact, it's very likely that the "scroungy" looking people ahead of you in line could buy and sell you more than a few times over. Even though wondering about the contents of someone's cart can be a way to pass the time if you have to wait in line, I don't see the point in hyper-focusing on whether or not someone is on food stamps.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:20 PM

693 posts, read 653,385 times
I think the food stamp system is great. It's so great that many people I see on it are extremely obese. It's definitely working!

Old 06-28-2009, 12:56 AM

38,877 posts, read 20,174,085 times
Quote:
Even if we stop the food stamp program completely, it's unlikely your family will be able to buy anymore food. While you're upset in the grocery store, upset on your way home, upset while you put away your food, upset while you're typing - the person with the food stamps is at home eating the steak that you can't afford to buy and probably very happy.

Stop spending so much of your time worrying about what other people are doing/getting and how they are doing/getting it. I hope no one believes that if the welfare program is eliminated the government won't find another way to use your tax money - you're not going to get it back.

Next time you see someone using a food stamp card, you should feel sorry for them that they aren't getting the sense of pride you get when you get your paycheck. Or the feeling of accomplishment when you're able to buy your son actual Fruit Loops and Loopy Fruit. Or the enjoyment of knowing that you can walk in the grocery store, buy an basketful of crap and no one will care because you paid for it with YOUR money. yes, you should feel sorry for those people. very very sorry.
Exactly!

Old 06-28-2009, 01:46 AM

432 posts, read 1,502,930 times
POSTER, is it any of your damn business???

Old 06-28-2009, 02:34 AM

12,476 posts, read 17,453,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
A friend just gave me the book Stuff White People Like.
Entry No. 62 is: Knowing What's Best for Poor People.
Perhaps you could stop by a bookstore and take a gander.
This is not about "knowing what's best for poor people", this is about the tax payers funding a system that is fairly ridiculous. This person was eating better than many people I know on their dime!

Old 06-28-2009, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Maybe they were having a bbq. Maybe they wanted hot dogs. I sure and heck don't each "cheap" hotdogs...yuck. Maybe they have kids who like certain things, or just have taste buds that enjoy something tasty.

People always think that if you are poor you should be thrilled with any old thing...the cheapest food possible, old stained tee shirts someone gives away, etc. Isn't that interesting?
Maybe? But why am I paying for their BBQ and premium hot dogs?

I don't think the poor should be thrilled at cheap food and old clothes, but I don't see why tax payers should be responsible for anything above what is required to subsist.

Quote:
Next time you see someone using a food stamp card, you should feel sorry for them that they aren't getting the sense of pride you get when you get your paycheck.
I should feel sorry for them because I'm paying for their premium food items? And I'm not upset because they are eating things I don't (I don't eat bad), rather because I'm being forced to pay for their food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by affi View Post
POSTER, is it any of your damn business???
Absolutely, I'm being forced to pay taxes that fund these programs.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:03 AM

Quote:
I'm surprised they sell such premium goods in the poorer side of town. That was one of my biggest grievances with Super Wal-mart when I lived in Florida; the ones on the poorer end of side were full of Great Value products and had a limited supply of anything else. I don't think I've ever seen $6 hot dogs and I typically buy turkey dogs which are more expensive - I wonder if they were like a huge economy pack or something
This was not in a poor area of town, rather a fairly affluent suburb of Los Angeles. The poor area I mentioned was when I lived in Pennsylvania, I lived on the border of the white and black community and the closest grocery store (walking distance) was mostly low income blacks. These communities are funny because they will try to barter and trade with the food stamps to get what they really want.

Anyhow, they were not an economy pack. They were premium hot dogs. Many of the items they purchased were premium items.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:07 AM

3,388 posts, read 5,746,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Because most welfare people believe its free so why not blow it.

See, most welfare people use you and your money to live on.

I believe we need to force all welfare suckers to go to a building within a city and pick up welfare type of food.

That way they will not be rewarded for being a lazy bum sucking off the rest of us.

The food will be all low end type foods that cost us the least amount of money.

Or we could have a government owned farm in every town make the welfare bums go out and actually grow and EARN their food.

I saw a welfare set of bums with 3 dirty kids in front of me at the grocery and they eat better then I do. Both able to work and should be embarrassed to being abusing my tax money, but they are not.

We also should put an orange license plate on their cars so we all know they are a welfare case, like the drunks have to have the yellow and red, we need to put the orange ones on all welfare cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Give them a pain pill like Obama wants to give old people.

We already pay for the lazy butts burials.

They could at least EARN their free food.

How about a highway chain gang of welfare people picking up cans and trash?
Such hate for a group of people you don't even know.

That really speaks to your character.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies