U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 03:10 AM

1,091 posts, read 3,291,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Why are food stamp programs so stupid?
I'm a big fan of the WIC program; I was on it myself when my son was little.
It allows low-income mothers to get certain types of healthy, nutritious, generic food for themselves and their young children.
It does not allow recipients to get premium brands, and it only allows certain types of foods; when I was on it, you could get juice, milk, eggs, cheese, a whole-grain cereal (there was a choice of several, both hot and cold), and dried beans.
I think that in the intervening years, the program has changed to allow recipients to get peanut butter in lieu of dried beans for the protein group.
But, like I said, all the foods permitted by the WIC program are healthy and basic, and only the cheapest "store-brand" items are WIC-approved.
If you want Tropicana Pure premium orange juice, you have to buy it yourself. Otherwise, you're going to be drinking store-brand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 04:41 AM

114 posts, read 323,748 times
Maybe they purchased the food for someone in exchange for cash.I see it happen all the time here.I mainly see crackheads lurking around willing to buy your groceries for any given deal-say $50 for $35.You have no idea who it was by just looking at the receipt.

Interesting fact though.Welfare is a poor persons program,but more whites are robbing it dry everyday yet blame minorities for cheating the government.I can't figure this one out and I was a math major.It would be too much like right then to end the program.

Old 06-28-2009, 04:51 AM

12,476 posts, read 17,408,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
Tropicana Pure premium orange juice, you have to buy it yourself. Otherwise, you're going to be drinking store-brand.
The juice on the receipt was in fact Tropicana.

The receipt stated it was a EBT payment, so I assume it was just standard food stamps.

Old 06-28-2009, 05:02 AM

5,370 posts, read 4,628,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf1025 View Post
Not everyone who receives food stamps is also on welfare. Not everyone who receives food stamps is lazy. What about people who lose their jobs? Fall suddenly ill? Women on high risk pregnancies who are forced to quit or take personal unpaid leaves because they won't be able to work for the entirety of their pregnancy. Let's say she's a married woman her and her husband were doing fine without food stamps but now that she's unable to work they must get food stamps to help bridge the gap. What do you suggest? That a pregnant woman on bed rest go work at a farm to EARN her food money?
what if on the other side of the coin, a wife with a husband who suddenly has a stroke. You suggest for someone who just had a stoke go work for his food, or send his wife? Oh but she has to take care of him because he can't even care for himself! Not everyone is able to determine their destiny or have full control of them at all times. We have no way of knowing when we'll fall ill or lose our jobs due layoffs. To label everyone taking food stamps as lazy and "leaches sucking off the rest of us" is wrong. I'm glad I've never had to take food stamps but I would never dare go on a public forum and pretend I've walked on everyone else's shoes.

I wanted to say something like that, but would not have been as nice.
Another lump everyone in a group by Sunny.

I thought food stamp programs were run by the states and just received funding by the federal government?

Old 06-28-2009, 05:54 AM

24,639 posts, read 24,759,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTD2.0 View Post
I think the food stamp system is great. It's so great that many people I see on it are extremely obese. It's definitely working!
You might want to research nutrition before you make such an uninformed comment.
The cheap foods are carbs and filled with fat.
Carbs and fat make people fat.

Gee, was that too difficult to understand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
This is not about "knowing what's best for poor people", this is about the tax payers funding a system that is fairly ridiculous. This person was eating better than many people I know on their dime!
Yes, it is.
You’re using your tax dollars as an excuse.
Are you against war that costs trillions a year, rather than helping others out.
Want someone to come to your house and point out your human failings?
It’s easy to take pot shots at those less fortunate than you, isn’t it.

I hope your family hits hard times and requires support from the system.
Maybe then you’ll have some compassion and understanding of others.

Last edited by chielgirl; 06-28-2009 at 06:04 AM..

Old 06-28-2009, 06:23 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,335,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
They are already restricted, or used to be.

There are no restrictions in NC, only you can't buy hot food from the deli (fried chicken...etc)....you can even buy seeds that grow food.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:28 AM

47,576 posts, read 60,475,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
This is not about "knowing what's best for poor people", this is about the tax payers funding a system that is fairly ridiculous. This person was eating better than many people I know on their dime!

Besides in this country, poor people tend to not know much. They tend to not understand that having many babies without a husband is not the way to get ahead, they tend to think dropping out of school is a smart thing to do, they tend to think they should have everything the wealthy have but not be required to work.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:33 AM

12,646 posts, read 13,894,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I am like you. I want everyone to be able to eat, but there should be some accountability, such as having to return the receipt to someone who can check to make sure the nutrition is being bought.

Does this bother me? Only because it is not right. But there is One that sees everything that happens and although some don't realize it, He is in control. I praise God that our needs have always been provided. People think they are getting away with things, but they are not. Some day this will all come home to roost.
You want more Government control.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:34 AM

47,576 posts, read 60,475,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Sad. They do not deserve to be parents at all.
That's the problem. We're paying the lazy, unproductive types to have many children. It would be far better to offer sterilization to the welfare class, in exchange for all the free money, free food, free housing, free everything, they would have to be surgically sterilized because the last thing they need if they're trying to get off welfare is more kids and if they don't want off welfare society doesn't need that entitlement attitude or people having kids just so they can lay around the rest of their lives.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:38 AM

12,646 posts, read 13,894,201 times
Cool hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Besides in this country, poor people tend to not know much. They tend to not understand that having many babies without a husband is not the way to get ahead, they tend to think dropping out of school is a smart thing to do, they tend to think they should have everything the wealthy have but not be required to work.
oooh........this is incredibly naive, you should talk to some poor people...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies