U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 10:48 AM

820 posts, read 749,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
The Department of Defense's spent $640 on a toilet seat and $436 on a hammer and the National Park Service gets a $797,400 outhouse....

and you're wondering why the government allows people to make stupid purchases with food stamps?
And yet many people want to argue how and why one political is better than the other.

Not sure what's worse our government or most of it's citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 11:12 AM

317 posts, read 695,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
They have to budget those food dollars just like anyone else who shops and uses US dollars, so maybe they ate well for about 1 week, lets give it 2 tops, the other two weeks that month, they starved. Doesn't make much sense does it?

I was just about to add that there is nothing to envy about people who get food stamps because I know many who do and they are miserable. And they are miserable because the food they can buy with the stamps barely last them a whole two weeks. The rest of the month they may be forced to borrow money for food or go to food pantries. It's because people do not realize that food stamps are just supposed to help you get a little extra food it is not supposed to be their primary source of income for food. They gotta learn to get rid of things like expensive clothes, cable, and cell phones or they will go hungry alot if they only depend on food stamps for food.

Old 06-28-2009, 11:15 AM

5,617 posts, read 13,726,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
The Department of Defense's spent $640 on a toilet seat and $436 on a hammer and the National Park Service gets a $797,400 outhouse....

and you're wondering why the government allows people to make stupid purchases with food stamps?
your smart and funny!!

Old 06-28-2009, 11:35 AM

1,617 posts, read 2,459,571 times
[i][color="Blue"]Wow, we agree on something. You are right, most of those people have no pride or dignity at all.

I feel sorry for them in a certain way ......

There was a time that I felt, at times, similarly to you all, with some exceptions; perhaps for those "able-bodied" people who appeared to be able to work, but "did not"...etc.

First of all, I do not like the word welfare itself; assistance is an acceptable term; welfare continues to conjure up "bad association"...someone who barely lives on the street...can't do anything for themselves, a bum, you know...things we have 'heard' of and on throughout the years.... and...

Sometimes bad things happen to good people; sometimes if it were not for 'assistance', if it were not for food assistance, there would be people without food completely. How many times do 'big companies' and yes, even kind citizens learn of a family who does not have food,does not have food for a holiday, and gets a bunch of people together and "surprises" that family with a Christmas/Easter/holiday basket .....

We do not always know what the circumstances are that brought a person/family to the point of needing assistance; we do not know how difficult it may have been for that person/family to have gone to get assistance. I venture to say that more often than not, more people may even need assistance however their pride is such that they will NOT go for help when it is available to them.

Am I talking about someone/family who has made this kind of lifestyle a way of life, no, I am not. Am I talking about a family that can work but chooses not to do so, no, I am not. Should anyone go hungry, absolutely not, especially in our country although it should be universally understood that no one should have to starve.

Let's not make blanket statements; I would be very surprised if an executive from, say Bear-Stearns or General Motors who was fired would be getting food stamps/assistance because they, hopefully saved some money before their bottom fell out; but if that money is gone...

How about the woman who has gotten divorced, has children, and lost everything in the divorce, and now has no choice but to get assistance, including food...I trust one can speculate how difficult it is for her to ask for it.

A statement was made that the 'poor' should appreciate even an old T-shirt; I think when it comes to having some sense of self-respect and/or attempting to gain it, having others expect that someone should be appreciative for anything, including an old rag or two, is more hurtful than helpful and that type of conjecture is what maintains the stereotypical concepts of someone who is receiving assistance.

Would someone who could afford the $4.00 package of hot dogs or $6.00 package of hot dogs (personally I did not realize hot dogs could be that much); prefer purchasing the >89 cent hot dog(s); probably not.

So, the next time 'we' are in a check out line and see someone take out their food card, perhaps a smile might be more kind and beneficial and helpful than any other type of gesture and assumption.

One just never knows when bad things can happen to another good person...hopefully it is not to anyone on this board/thread because if so, I trust that if you find yourself at the check out counter with a food card and some one looks at you, you will know exactly what that look means and you will feel pretty bad.

Old 06-28-2009, 11:41 AM

9,644 posts, read 8,583,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Great to see that you know what other people should do with their diet and time.

A friend just gave me the book Stuff White People Like.
Entry No. 62 is: Knowing What's Best for Poor People.
Perhaps you could stop by a bookstore and take a gander.
I love how you bring race into it

Old 06-28-2009, 11:56 AM

5,370 posts, read 4,627,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
I love how you bring race into it

Almost funny.

Most of the "Stupid Food Stamp" points, seemed to be directed at minorities.
Seemed all inner-city (urban) and very little reference to rural folks.
Every line could have easily been read "Them People".

Maybe we should bus all them inner city folk out to the country so they can shop at Wal-mart too.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:00 PM

17,528 posts, read 19,694,834 times
I think food stamps can work if they are directed towards "approved food lists" only like the WIC program... I mean if they can say that food stamps cannot be used for alcohol, you think there is an approved food lists that takes care of "brand name" foods... what I have a problem with is the availability of cheaper food... I notice that my grocery store carries a very cheap but GOOD food for one-fourth of the price compared to brand name foods... BUT not all other grocery markets carry it but I know they can because I see the same brand but for different stuff... I suppose the grocery stores are "for profit" so its their choice to carry more expensive stuff (or moderately so) but I wish the game was on more equal footing... its sad that other vendors that have cheaper and equal quality stuff can't put it on the store shelves...

Old 06-28-2009, 12:12 PM

8,998 posts, read 13,066,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
I use to go shopping at a grocery store in the poorer part of town and noticed that a lot of people using food stamps made stupid purchases. Anyhow, yesterday I was at the grocery store and used an automated check and the person's receipt before mine got stuck to mine and did not realize it until I looked at home.

Regardless, the total was for $150 and the type of purchases were pretty ridiculous. For example they spent $10 on premium fruit juice (two 1/2 gallon containers), $12 on two packs of premium hot dogs, expensive snack foods, etc. Around $100 of it was spent very wastefully, the other $50 was spent on meats and such that were on sale. Anyhow, for the same money I could easily get double the food.

Anyhow, why have food stamps when the people so wastefully spend them? They are essentially store gift cards with some restricts. I don't think anybody should starve in an advanced country like the US, but at the same time why are tax payers forking out money so low-income folks can buy foods that many of don't buy because of the high costs?
I feel there should be a requirement for people on food stamps to spend at least 20-30% of their total food stamps on fruits and vegetables.

I used to work at a supermarket and saw people buy so much unhealthy stuff and one woman put back some grapes because she felt they were too expensive but she bought SOOO much junk food beforehand.

Pretty much here in AR if you're on food stamps you can buy all the food you want, it doesn't matter what kind. You just can't buy alochol. It's nothing like WIC which is something totally different. On food stamps they aren't limited to any kind of brand or anything. It's basically a personal little debit card and they can buy all the food they want.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:14 PM
LML

7,109 posts, read 8,096,895 times
I live in a county where, up until a few months ago, there was a very large GM plant. I use to hear a lot of the GM workers making cracks about people that use food stamps, etc. A whole lot of those folks are now the ones using food stamps. Do they deserve the hard times they are now having? Heck no. But just maybe the folks they were judging didn't deserve the hard times they had either. That is a good reason to follow the Good Book's advice to "Judge not lest ye be judged."

Old 06-28-2009, 12:15 PM

8,998 posts, read 13,066,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy1980 View Post
I was just about to add that there is nothing to envy about people who get food stamps because I know many who do and they are miserable. And they are miserable because the food they can buy with the stamps barely last them a whole two weeks. The rest of the month they may be forced to borrow money for food or go to food pantries. It's because people do not realize that food stamps are just supposed to help you get a little extra food it is not supposed to be their primary source of income for food. They gotta learn to get rid of things like expensive clothes, cable, and cell phones or they will go hungry alot if they only depend on food stamps for food.
I've seen people who had a food stamp allowance of about 400-500. That would surely last me a while. At the same time, I've seen older women (I would venture to guess older single women...) who have to put back a few items just so they can stay under their food stamp limit. It was pretty sad because I could tell they needed some of those things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies