U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2009, 12:28 PM

33,897 posts, read 42,143,850 times

Advertisements

Not making a comment on food stamps but also remember kids on them also qualify for Free And Reduced Meals (FARM). In fact my school system bases snow day decisions on how long it's been since the kids were fed at school. That means we will go in on days when we probably shouldn't. Also, a lot of systems continue the FARM program through the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 12:29 PM

1,691 posts, read 2,199,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
That's the problem. We're paying the lazy, unproductive types to have many children. It would be far better to offer sterilization to the welfare class, in exchange for all the free money, free food, free housing, free everything, they would have to be surgically sterilized because the last thing they need if they're trying to get off welfare is more kids and if they don't want off welfare society doesn't need that entitlement attitude or people having kids just so they can lay around the rest of their lives.
There is a word for what your suggest. Well, actually there are several that come to mind but discounting those that are unkind toward you, Eugenics. Look it up.

It's been tried multiple times throughout history including in the US. But since the days Hitler tried it on such a mass scale we tend to frown on that kind of thing. Go figure.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:29 PM

13,821 posts, read 18,799,032 times
I dont like ppl who judge ppl using food stamps . I had a girl in front of me and an elderly man in back of me in the grocery line . People gave her such a hard time about using food stamps ,this was yrs ago but still remember it ,like it was yesterday . This young girl gave her stamps to the cashier and the cashier gladly counted them out for her . well everyone was moaning about how she was holding up the line with her dead beat food stamps . They had her so upset she ran out of the store leaving her groceries behind . A young man came in and said 'Well my sister just ran out of the store and she left her groceries here . Im sorry she did that . You see he said to the cashier . Her brother died in Iraq a few months ago and she took on his children and she is only 21 yrs old . Turns out he goes to the same church she went to and she took on all three of her brothers children . their mom was killed in a car accident the yr before . Those same ppl that had said those evil things about her started giving her groceries and loading them in her cart . My mother always told me to be nice to everyone cause everyone is fighting a battle of some kind . I truly believe that . The moral here is dont judge ppl cause you dont know what their battle is .

Old 06-28-2009, 12:42 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,466,114 times
My mother always told me to be nice to everyone cause everyone is fighting a battle of some kind . I truly believe that . The moral here is dont judge ppl cause you dont know what their battle is .

Exactly my point with my earlier posting; and regarding the comments noted in another previous thread... about the GM employees...again, my point...one simply never knows what has created a situation for someone...and with your story about the girl who was in tears and ran out of the store, WOW...good for that young man who went in after those groceries...AND explained that woman's circumstances.....entirely toooo much judging made....

At the risk of flaming the smoldering sparks right now.., yikes... for those who have made disparaging and condemning comments, perhaps before making assumptions and hitting the click/send button, one should re-read their postings first just to make sure it is not going to be judgmental...controversy, always okay, discussions, of course, lively conversations, yup, strict morality judgments, nope, we should all be far more sophisticated than that these days.

Old 06-28-2009, 01:50 PM

21,812 posts, read 27,859,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
There are no restrictions in NC, only you can't buy hot food from the deli (fried chicken...etc)....you can even buy seeds that grow food.
That doesn't seem like a bad deal to me.

Old 06-28-2009, 02:04 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,348,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
That doesn't seem like a bad deal to me.
Oh...I agree!

Old 06-28-2009, 02:13 PM

8,648 posts, read 15,302,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
I'm a big fan of the WIC program; I was on it myself when my son was little.
It allows low-income mothers to get certain types of healthy, nutritious, generic food for themselves and their young children.
It does not allow recipients to get premium brands, and it only allows certain types of foods; when I was on it, you could get juice, milk, eggs, cheese, a whole-grain cereal (there was a choice of several, both hot and cold), and dried beans.
I think that in the intervening years, the program has changed to allow recipients to get peanut butter in lieu of dried beans for the protein group.
But, like I said, all the foods permitted by the WIC program are healthy and basic, and only the cheapest "store-brand" items are WIC-approved.
If you want Tropicana Pure premium orange juice, you have to buy it yourself. Otherwise, you're going to be drinking store-brand.
"all the foods permitted by the WIC program are healthy and basic, and only the cheapest "store-brand" items are WIC-approved."

Unless it has been changed, that is not true here...

Old 06-28-2009, 02:20 PM

8,648 posts, read 15,302,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
Um, you do realize that a lot of Mom's "child support" comes in the form of an EBT as well, right??? Maybe this was the woman's ex husband's already *taxed* dollars paying for her premium food, eh?
If a woman with a child is getting a food card and child support the amount on the card is cut back.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:11 PM

47,573 posts, read 60,651,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrey View Post
There is a word for what your suggest. Well, actually there are several that come to mind but discounting those that are unkind toward you, Eugenics. Look it up.

It's been tried multiple times throughout history including in the US. But since the days Hitler tried it on such a mass scale we tend to frown on that kind of thing. Go figure.
Offering sterilization in exchange for welfare handouts is only kindness but I don't think sterilization should be mandatory. People on welfare should not be bringing more children into the world that they cannot support.

The worst thing is for welfare mothers to keep on breeding like stray cats, so your program of paying people to have children they can never feed or support is not a very good program.

The current welfare system is not solving a single problem, drug addiction, child abuse, crime are large and growing problems. Poverty is way up.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:14 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,785,982 times
In California, the food stamp program issue vouchers for specific products. People can only buy the products on the vouchers (usually the products are baby food, formula, apple juice, milk, and other basic items).

Now, I can't tell you how many times I'd see a woman buy all the products on the vouchers, and then turn around and pull out a wad of cash and buy soda, beer, cigarettes, chips, etc...with her cash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies