Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 08:45 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
I use to go shopping at a grocery store in the poorer part of town and noticed that a lot of people using food stamps made stupid purchases. Anyhow, yesterday I was at the grocery store and used an automated check and the person's receipt before mine got stuck to mine and did not realize it until I looked at home.

Regardless, the total was for $150 and the type of purchases were pretty ridiculous. For example they spent $10 on premium fruit juice (two 1/2 gallon containers), $12 on two packs of premium hot dogs, expensive snack foods, etc. Around $100 of it was spent very wastefully, the other $50 was spent on meats and such that were on sale. Anyhow, for the same money I could easily get double the food.

Anyhow, why have food stamps when the people so wastefully spend them? They are essentially store gift cards with some restricts. I don't think anybody should starve in an advanced country like the US, but at the same time why are tax payers forking out money so low-income folks can buy foods that many of don't buy because of the high costs?
I'm surprised they sell such premium goods in the poorer side of town. That was one of my biggest grievances with Super Wal-mart when I lived in Florida; the ones on the poorer end of side were full of Great Value products and had a limited supply of anything else. I don't think I've ever seen $6 hot dogs and I typically buy turkey dogs which are more expensive - I wonder if they were like a huge economy pack or something Other than that they are probably like 80 food stamp threads discussing this very same question - I'm sure you can find one if you search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 08:47 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Maybe they were having a bbq. Maybe they wanted hot dogs. I sure and heck don't each "cheap" hotdogs...yuck. Maybe they have kids who like certain things, or just have taste buds that enjoy something tasty.

Anyway, people get a certain amount of $ for food and they can buy/eat what they want. Thinking about it, if I had to use food stamps I'd punch anyone bitching about me wanting "good quality" rather than "cheap ass" food.

People always think that if you are poor you should be thrilled with any old thing...the cheapest food possible, old stained tee shirts someone gives away, etc. Isn't that interesting?

Old 06-27-2009, 08:49 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Because

Money is no object
when it's not your money.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:57 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Yeah, poor people should all just starve and then we'd be done with them.
Then you'd whine about the cost of burying them.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:03 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,305,617 times
Because most welfare people believe its free so why not blow it.

See, most welfare people use you and your money to live on.

I believe we need to force all welfare suckers to go to a building within a city and pick up welfare type of food.

That way they will not be rewarded for being a lazy bum sucking off the rest of us.

The food will be all low end type foods that cost us the least amount of money.

Or we could have a government owned farm in every town make the welfare bums go out and actually grow and EARN their food.

I saw a welfare set of bums with 3 dirty kids in front of me at the grocery and they eat better then I do. Both able to work and should be embarrassed to being abusing my tax money, but they are not.

We also should put an orange license plate on their cars so we all know they are a welfare case, like the drunks have to have the yellow and red, we need to put the orange ones on all welfare cars.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Yeah, poor people should all just starve and then we'd be done with them.
Then you'd whine about the cost of burying them.

Give them a pain pill like Obama wants to give old people.

We already pay for the lazy butts burials.

They could at least EARN their free food.

How about a highway chain gang of welfare people picking up cans and trash?

Old 06-27-2009, 09:11 PM

Even if we stop the food stamp program completely, it's unlikely your family will be able to buy anymore food. While you're upset in the grocery store, upset on your way home, upset while you put away your food, upset while you're typing - the person with the food stamps is at home eating the steak that you can't afford to buy and probably very happy.

Stop spending so much of your time worrying about what other people are doing/getting and how they are doing/getting it. I hope no one believes that if the welfare program is eliminated the government won't find another way to use your tax money - you're not going to get it back.

Next time you see someone using a food stamp card, you should feel sorry for them that they aren't getting the sense of pride you get when you get your paycheck. Or the feeling of accomplishment when you're able to buy your son actual Fruit Loops and Loopy Fruit. Or the enjoyment of knowing that you can walk in the grocery store, buy an basketful of crap and no one will care because you paid for it with YOUR money. yes, you should feel sorry for those people. very very sorry.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:30 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,555,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
I use to go shopping at a grocery store in the poorer part of town and noticed that a lot of people using food stamps made stupid purchases. Anyhow, yesterday I was at the grocery store and used an automated check and the person's receipt before mine got stuck to mine and did not realize it until I looked at home.

Regardless, the total was for $150 and the type of purchases were pretty ridiculous. For example they spent $10 on premium fruit juice (two 1/2 gallon containers), $12 on two packs of premium hot dogs, expensive snack foods, etc. Around $100 of it was spent very wastefully, the other $50 was spent on meats and such that were on sale. Anyhow, for the same money I could easily get double the food.

Anyhow, why have food stamps when the people so wastefully spend them? They are essentially store gift cards with some restricts. I don't think anybody should starve in an advanced country like the US, but at the same time why are tax payers forking out money so low-income folks can buy foods that many of don't buy because of the high costs?

They have to budget those food dollars just like anyone else who shops and uses US dollars, so maybe they ate well for about 1 week, lets give it 2 tops, the other two weeks that month, they starved. Doesn't make much sense does it?

Old 06-27-2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
They have to budget those food dollars just like anyone else who shops and uses US dollars, so maybe they ate well for about 1 week, lets give it 2 tops, the other two weeks that month, they starved. Doesn't make much sense does it?
Unless they get $600 in benefits - then they can eat those $6 hot dogs all month long

Old 06-27-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Even if we stop the food stamp program completely, it's unlikely your family will be able to buy anymore food. While you're upset in the grocery store, upset on your way home, upset while you put away your food, upset while you're typing - the person with the food stamps is at home eating the steak that you can't afford to buy and probably very happy.

Stop spending so much of your time worrying about what other people are doing/getting and how they are doing/getting it. I hope no one believes that if the welfare program is eliminated the government won't find another way to use your tax money - you're not going to get it back.

Next time you see someone using a food stamp card, you should feel sorry for them that they aren't getting the sense of pride you get when you get your paycheck. Or the feeling of accomplishment when you're able to buy your son actual Fruit Loops and Loopy Fruit. Or the enjoyment of knowing that you can walk in the grocery store, buy an basketful of crap and no one will care because you paid for it with YOUR money. yes, you should feel sorry for those people. very very sorry.

Wow, we agree on something. You are right, most of those people have no pride or dignity at all.

I feel sorry for them in a certain way because I know they are able but unwilling to at least work to feed all those kids they seem to keep having.

The couple I mentioned above were dresses very nice, her hair was perfect, her nails done etc, the kids, dirty and in hand me down dirty clothes. Sad. They do not deserve to be parents at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies