Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 05:42 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,699 times

Advertisements

I have watched so many stories, & experienced so many first hand observations, of people getting sexually assaulted as children & the person ends up being a religious conservative as an adult. I know some may not agree with this, but it really does seem to happen... I have seen it both in real life & watched it on so many TV shows & etc. Why is this not talked about more often? There is no way the huge number of people who are religious conservatives as adults and who were also sexually abused as kids can mean nothing . Why is this not discussed more often? Just is my own personal observation, nearly everyone I have met over my lifetime , people who have religious conservative lifestyles, have all had some kind of abuse take place in their life. All of them. ( I am 28)
I DO BELIEVE THAT THERE ARE INDIVIDUALS JUST BORN RELIGIOUS AND CONSERVATIVE, BUT IT IS UNDENIABLE THAT THERE IS A HUGE PROPORTION OF RELIGIOUS CONSERVATIVES WHO HAVE HAD SOME SORT OF SEXUAL OR PHYSICAL ABUSE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 05:46 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,726,169 times
Whats the matter can't come up with your own topic for discussion? TROLL THREAD!!!

Old 05-25-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Whats the matter can't come up with your own topic for discussion? TROLL THREAD!!!
Am I not entitled to my belief that being sexually abused as a child turns one into a religious conservative?

Old 05-25-2011, 06:00 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times
Oh c'mon hammertime33! You made many a reasonable, intelligent and compelling comment here on the threads at CD ... but ... now you're just being cute.

Let's just leave it; and say that being sexually abused as a child does not lead to religious conservatism, homosexuality, vegetarianism, kleptomania, artistic ability, or Asperger's Syndrome.

... AND ... masturbation does not lead to blindness, because if it did I would be at least wearing glasses by now!

Old 05-25-2011, 06:04 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,109,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I have watched so many stories, & experienced so many first hand observations, of people getting sexually assaulted as children & the person ends up being a religious conservative as an adult. I know some may not agree with this, but it really does seem to happen... I have seen it both in real life & watched it on so many TV shows & etc. Why is this not talked about more often? There is no way the huge number of people who are religious conservatives as adults and who were also sexually abused as kids can mean nothing . Why is this not discussed more often? Just is my own personal observation, nearly everyone I have met over my lifetime , people who have religious conservative lifestyles, have all had some kind of abuse take place in their life. All of them. ( I am 28)
I DO BELIEVE THAT THERE ARE INDIVIDUALS JUST BORN RELIGIOUS AND CONSERVATIVE, BUT IT IS UNDENIABLE THAT THERE IS A HUGE PROPORTION OF RELIGIOUS CONSERVATIVES WHO HAVE HAD SOME SORT OF SEXUAL OR PHYSICAL ABUSE.
I disagree with the premise, but I will say this: Have you ever stopped to think that maybe religion helped them cope with the abuse? People tend to lean on God to help them through tough situations, and this could lead to a stronger faith over the lifetime. I strongly disagree that childhood sexual abuse leads to being a religious conservative in and of itself.

The bolded is IMO fallacious. You develop your views based on your experiences and your knowledge. You are not born religious, and you are not born conservative. Just like you're not born gay. To say everything results from biology is the coward's way out. Own up to your life choices.

ETA: I am strongly religious and strongly conservative and have never once been sexually abused.

ETA2: And now I agree with the others who say this is a troll thread. I hadn't seen the other one yet. Not cool.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:06 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,389,895 times
2/10 on the troll meter.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:09 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,604,491 times
Observational conclusions are intended to document cause and effect. For your conclusion to be valid you must eliminate other causes for abused children to turn to religion when they are older. Your observations cannot do this.

It is also well documented that other severe trauma increases the odds that a person will turn to religion afterwards. These traumas need not be sexual in nature, and not always even life threatening.

This argument is akin to claiming eating lead to promiscuity. Sure, everybody that is promiscuous eats. Sure many dates involve eating and include sex, although like your observation, not every person who eats is promiscuous and not every abused child becomes a religious zealot. They just happen to be factors in a scenario that share a possible outcome.

I tend to agree with the troll alert warnings in that this topic is not well reasoned and seems to be attempting to drive a message with a contrived argument to prove an arbitrary conclusion...... but just on the off chance you actually believe what you wrote I offer this response.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:12 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,325,406 times
Troll alert.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:16 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Since Islam is based on a pedophile of a prophet would you care to extend you accusations to Muslims as well or is this just another one of you "smear the Christians" threads? Howmany militant aethists were sexually abused and because of that experience also swear there is no God?

Old 05-25-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Since Islam is based on a pedophile of a prophet would you care to extend you accusations to Muslims as well or is this just another one of you "smear the Christians" threads? Howmany militant aethists were sexually abused and because of that experience also swear there is no God?
What from my post made you think I was talking exclusively about Christians at the exclusion of Muslims?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies