U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 08:06 PM

12,476 posts, read 17,446,881 times

Advertisements

I use to go shopping at a grocery store in the poorer part of town and noticed that a lot of people using food stamps made stupid purchases. Anyhow, yesterday I was at the grocery store and used an automated check and the person's receipt before mine got stuck to mine and did not realize it until I looked at home.

Regardless, the total was for $150 and the type of purchases were pretty ridiculous. For example they spent $10 on premium fruit juice (two 1/2 gallon containers), $12 on two packs of premium hot dogs, expensive snack foods, etc. Around $100 of it was spent very wastefully, the other $50 was spent on meats and such that were on sale. Anyhow, for the same money I could easily get double the food.

Anyhow, why have food stamps when the people so wastefully spend them? They are essentially store gift cards with some restricts. I don't think anybody should starve in an advanced country like the US, but at the same time why are tax payers forking out money so low-income folks can buy foods that many of don't buy because of the high costs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 08:11 PM

9,644 posts, read 8,612,871 times
See I dont mind the food stamp program for say people that were working and got laid off NOT fired but laid off. That needs help because there is a time that we all need help

I do have a problem for someone to sit on their butt and collect them.

I know someone that is getting 567.00 a mth in food stamps for her and 2 children. Lets just say now that she is getting those no more dollar chips or such.

I am the one buying the dollar bag of chips

Old 06-27-2009, 08:17 PM

8,640 posts, read 7,978,133 times
Many people are in need of food stamps but there is a lot of abuse. Some people just do not know how to shop. I do believe they should restrict snack foods like chips, soda an candies.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:18 PM

33,889 posts, read 42,123,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Many people are in need of food stamps but there is a lot of abuse. Some people just do not know how to shop. I do believe they should restrict snack foods like chips, soda an candies.
They are already restricted, or used to be.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:20 PM

6,745 posts, read 8,294,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
I use to go shopping at a grocery store in the poorer part of town and noticed that a lot of people using food stamps made stupid purchases. Anyhow, yesterday I was at the grocery store and used an automated check and the person's receipt before mine got stuck to mine and did not realize it until I looked at home.

Regardless, the total was for $150 and the type of purchases were pretty ridiculous. For example they spent $10 on premium fruit juice (two 1/2 gallon containers), $12 on two packs of premium hot dogs, expensive snack foods, etc. Around $100 of it was spent very wastefully, the other $50 was spent on meats and such that were on sale. Anyhow, for the same money I could easily get double the food.

Anyhow, why have food stamps when the people so wastefully spend them? They are essentially store gift cards with some restricts. I don't think anybody should starve in an advanced country like the US, but at the same time why are tax payers forking out money so low-income folks can buy foods that many of don't buy because of the high costs?
The Department of Defense's spent $640 on a toilet seat and $436 on a hammer and the National Park Service gets a $797,400 outhouse....

and you're wondering why the government allows people to make stupid purchases with food stamps?

Old 06-27-2009, 08:21 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,886,305 times
I don't know about your state, but in our state there used to be a special place that people went to get food that was free. Food stamps came along so their feelings would not be hurt and they would not be shamed to have to go get the food at that place.

I don't see this changing because there seems to be more people using food stamps than people buying their own food. Do you think they are going to vote for the president that changes that.

I am like you. I want everyone to be able to eat, but there should be some accountability, such as having to return the receipt to someone who can check to make sure the nutrition is being bought.

Does this bother me? Only because it is not right. But there is One that sees everything that happens and although some don't realize it, He is in control. I praise God that our needs have always been provided. People think they are getting away with things, but they are not. Some day this will all come home to roost.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:23 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,507,006 times
Yeah they still are restricted.

$6.00 hot dogs ! I buy the $.89 ones.

Well when it's not your money you don't care how it's spent cause you'll just go back for more when it's gone.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:25 PM

2,659 posts, read 2,577,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
The Department of Defense's spent $640 on a toilet seat and $436 on a hammer and the National Park Service gets a $797,400 outhouse....

and you're wondering why the government allows people to make stupid purchases with food stamps?
Quote:
The P-3C Orion antisubmarine aircraft went into service in 1962. Twenty-five years later it was determined that the toilet shroud, the cover that fits over the toilet needed replacement. Since the airplane was out of production this would require new tooling to produce. These on-board toilets required a uniquely shaped, molded fiberglass shroud that had to satisfy specifications for the vibration resistance, weight, and durability. The molds had to be specially made as it had been decades since their original production. The price reflected the design work and the cost of the equipment to manufacture them. Lockheed Corp. charged $34,560 for 54 toilet covers or $640 each.

President Reagan held a televised news conference in 1987, where he held up one of these shrouds and stated: "We didn't buy any $600 toilet seat. We bought a $600 molded plastic cover for the entire toilet system." A Pentagon spokesman, Glenn Flood stated, "The original price we were charged was $640, not just for a toilet seat, but for the large molded plastic assembly covering the entire seat, tank and full toilet assembly. The seat itself cost $9 and some cents. The supplier charged too much, and we had the amount corrected." The president of Lockheed at the time, Lawrence Kitchen, adjusted to the price to $100 each and returned $29,165. "This action is intended to put to rest an artificial issue," Kitchen stated.
That is from wikipedia's page on toilet seats - the sources are listed.
Toilet seat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-27-2009, 08:30 PM

24,639 posts, read 24,827,559 times
Great to see that you know what other people should do with their diet and time.

A friend just gave me the book Stuff White People Like.
Entry No. 62 is: Knowing What's Best for Poor People.
Perhaps you could stop by a bookstore and take a gander.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:38 PM

13,819 posts, read 14,653,063 times
so to assure that there are no food stamps spent on the "expensive" cut of hot dogs or sugar cerals instead of oatmeal, you want to have a look at the reciept? you want to waste even more money on policing a food stamp person making sure the budget shop. should they have to buy all store brand products, should the name brands be off limits, day old bakery products. what if it's your kids birthday, can he have the better hotdogs? perhaps a class on how to shop and make your food stamp dollar go farther would help. we will always have people who take advantage but I am not willing to "big brother" people who for the most part just want to feed their kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies