Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 09:01 AM

1,247 posts, read 925,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by billoco33 View Post
Guns, guns, guns! Theres always going to be a debate about guns. It's simple really. I know we can't go around analyzing everyone when a person goes and buys a gun. The 7 day waiting period is Perfect! In that time the police dept. should have all the info they would need to qualify or dissqualify a person from having a gun.
The police are too busy arresting people for marijuana possession...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2007, 09:04 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,665,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingFlorida05 View Post
Yep we need more like a 30 day waiting period, whats everyones hurry?

Old 04-18-2007, 09:13 AM

452 posts, read 1,132,062 times
Quote:
LeavingFlorida05
I have a story that is out of Florida so, maybe you could shed a little more light on the story...I am guessing that you live in Florida.

Quote:
Why rapists and robbers ran from one Florida town

Over the last five years, the city had become a little Silicon Valley, with computer companies moving in by the droves because there were no corporate taxes in Florida or in Palm City. The city was prospering, and the newly-rich computer millionaires and their employees with stock options were all building big, fancy houses by the river. The money and big houses had attracted the thieves. The city crime rate had been exploding, especially home burglaries and rapes. All the women in the city were scared and up in arms over the crime spree, and wanted something done. Mayor Branden promised to do something about it.

“The real problem is that the women are defenseless. You may not know this, being so new as Mayor, but about five years ago the previous Mayor passed gun laws that made it illegal to have a gun in the house, and illegal to use one against a burglar. He also made it illegal for anyone to carry a concealed gun outside the house. That’s when our troubles started, Mayor.”

Let’s put the risk back. Let’s see what happens when they get shot if they break into a house or bother one of our women. I’m sick to death of all the gun laws in this country, so let’s try a little experiment. I’ll convince the City Council to revoke our gun-control laws. Next, I’ll convince them to pass a new law requiring every man and woman in Palm City to own a handgun or shotgun, and know how to use them safely. I want a pistol and shotgun in every home. I want every woman walking around town with a concealed gun in her purse or under her dress. Let’s see what happens when we change the laws. Let’s see what happens when we give the victims a way to defend themselves.

I also want you to put a series of ads in the Palm City Gazette and Daily Press that announces the new laws, so everyone knows that every Palm City resident will soon be armed. I want you to set up gun safety and training courses on the local firing ranges, so we know that every woman in this town will be dead shot.”

THREE MONTHS LATER:

“Mike, mother-of-god did your plan work! The crime rate has dropped like a rock in Palm City. Burglaries are down 80 percent. Rapes are down 90 percent. I’ve never seen anything like it. It all started about two months ago, Mike. There was a burglary gang that had been hitting most of the houses. Well, about ten of them have been shot, three killed in the last two months. As soon as the burglar alarm goes off, the women took their guns from their purses and started shooting. I’ve interrogated some of the thieves we caught. They’re pretty stupid and don’t read much, so they weren’t aware of the new gun laws. They thought we were still operating under the old laws. You should have seen the shock on their faces. They were mad as hell. They never expected pretty young housewives to be spraying them with semi-automatic fire. They were mad as hell at you.”
Full Story,
http://www.newswithviews.com/Turtel/joel40.htm

Old 04-18-2007, 09:19 AM

607 posts, read 3,557,204 times
Quote:
They should be. Drug sales are the ONLY reason the gangs exist. Put all

people who use and/or sell illegal drugs in jail and the gang violence problem

will go away. Gangs are the source of most of the shootings in the United

States.

Drug users are unwittingly causing most of the violence and crime in the

nation.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:20 AM

What's your point, Chloedog? I've never said that people shouldn't be allowed to have guns.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:21 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,665,225 times
Quote:
What's your point, Chloedog? I've never said that people shouldn't be allowed to have guns.
That story is kind of assuming we all have alarms and will wake up.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:25 AM

9 posts, read 21,957 times
More money, more problems. More guns, more problems! Starting to be like Iraq out here in the United States. I love guns myself, but if eveyone starts buying guns everyone will have one then it will be like the wild wild west out here in the states all over again.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennyboy View Post
They should be. Drug sales are the ONLY reason the gangs exist. Put all

people who use and/or sell illegal drugs in jail and the gang violence problem

will go away. Gangs are the source of most of the shootings in the United

States.

Drug users are unwittingly causing most of the violence and crime in the

nation.
Yep, we've been locking them up since 1914. A lot of good it's been doing us. I have a better idea. Legalize and regulate drugs so gangs no longer make a profit off it. Then our gang problem is solved. This is a topic for another thread, though. In fact, there are a couple recent threads on this forum regarding the subject.

Judge Korda arrested for pot. Should marijuana be legalized and taxed?

Should Marijuana Be Legalized Or Not?

Old 04-18-2007, 09:26 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chloedog View Post
QUESTION FOR ALL OF YOU ANTI-GUN PEOPLE

1. If guns are outlawed how do you propose we keep guns out of the hands of criminals?
Do you seriously think guns will ever be outlawed in the United States?
Quote:
2. If you had been in one of the class rooms would you have wanted a gun to protect yourself. Yes or No (If no please explain)
No.
I am not a gun enthusiast and when it comes to getting shot in a classroom, I am content to take my chances .

Old 04-18-2007, 09:31 AM

452 posts, read 1,132,062 times
Quote:
LeavingFlorida05
I was asking you if you knew of this town in Florida and if you did could you elaborate.

The point of this story (To everyone on here) is that this town made it mandatory for every citizen to own a gun. The Mayor made training available to all that wanted it. The crime rate fell dramatically in only three months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies