U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 04:21 PM

26,529 posts, read 24,940,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbirdie View Post
one will see that the parade (participants & onlookers) is far more White than 30%, which concurs with the OP which says that Whites are disproportionately involved with Gayness and being "Gay".
That's a pretty weak conclusion to make. There are clearly differences in culture between whites, blacks, and Latinos. Nearly every survey and poll shows that blacks are much more anti-homosexual than whites. It's not a surprise that there are more whites at gay events - not a surprise at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 04:24 PM

3 posts, read 2,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
That's a pretty weak conclusion to make. There are clearly differences in culture between whites, blacks, and Latinos. Nearly every survey and poll shows that blacks are much more anti-homosexual than whites. It's not a surprise that there are more whites at gay events - not a surprise at all.
I think that's the point. It is the White culture (as opposed to Latino/Black) that is disproportionately involved in "Gayness". There are differences (we agree) in cultures as you outlined, and the Whites take top billing in the Gayness Dept.

Are we disagreeing here?

"Gay, LGBT" is basically a White cultural phenomenon. And to many Whites it is a full-blown embarrassment for our culture. The immigrants must sit in amazement at how far we've fallen from being world leaders, and the facts are bearing them out as right. Look at Denver, CO a town once full of hardy pioneers and hard workers with families etc., today it has a gay parade that attracts 100,000 people. It's really quite a fall.

Old 06-30-2009, 04:28 PM

15,400 posts, read 19,517,709 times
Quote:
I think that's the point. It is the White culture (as opposed to Latino/Black) that is disproportionately involved in "Gayness". There is a difference in cultures as you outlined, and the Whites take top billing in Gayness.

Are we disagreeing here?

"Gay, LGBT" is basically a White cultural phenomenon.

And to many Whites is a full-blown embarrassment for our culture.
As discussed Latinos and Blacks face even more cultural hatred and prejudice from their respective communities....therefore they are less visible in our culture......which does not imply that they do not exist in equal percentages as whites.

Old 06-30-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
"Gay, LGBT" is basically a White cultural phenomenon.
Maybe it is to you, but to those who are gay, it's not a cultural phenomenon. It's who they are, whether they attend gay-related events or not.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:45 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,781,430 times
I don't understand why gays have to hold parades to exclaim their pride.

I'm not proud to be heterosexual. I just am. If gays want to be treated like everybody else, then they should take a hint from heterosexuals....we don't dress up in ridiculous costumes and march up and down our streets exclaiming how proud we are to love the opposite sex

Old 06-30-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
If you don't get it by now, you probably never will.

Quote:
I'm not proud to be heterosexual. I just am.
When you're in the majority, you don't have to think about it.

Quote:
If gays want to be treated like everybody else, then they should take a hint from heterosexuals....we don't dress up in ridiculous costumes and march up and down our streets exclaiming how proud we are to love the opposite sex
A classic (but stale) example of anti-gay rhetoric, and I doubt you've ever been to a gay-themed event in your life.

From this past weekend's gay event in San Francisco:

"The Civic Center festival Saturday afternoon drew thousands of well-behaved revelers from throughout the Bay Area. There were strollers, dogs, kids on shoulders, plenty of sunscreen and sensible shoes. One could glimpse the occasional feather boa or bare bottom, but 1977 it wasn't."

They're proud this festival seems normal

Old 06-30-2009, 09:48 PM

769 posts, read 2,007,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanboy33 View Post
They're not.
Probably the best answer in the thread.

I see many blacks and Latinos in gay pride parades. Just because he doesn't often see them doesn't make it a fact. Besides, he never even revealed this place he lived in, and he's banned after two posts. Why keep up a racial/homosexual debate started by a troll?

Old 06-30-2009, 10:07 PM

16,786 posts, read 28,987,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
After years of being closeted, of entering marriage falsely, of keeping quiet so as not to upset the mainstream, of living a lie just to 'fit in', our gay and lesbian friends deserve the chance to celebrate who they are, and to celebrate the gay persons who fought to bring gay rights to the forefront.

Quote:
I'm not proud to be heterosexual. I just am.
I am proud to be who I am, as are many people of all different races, ethnicities, sexual preferences, and religions.

Quote:
If gays want to be treated like everybody else, then they should take a hint from heterosexuals....we don't dress up in ridiculous costumes and march up and down our streets exclaiming how proud we are to love the opposite sex
I beg to differ.
http://www.madnessmatrix.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/mardi-gras-2009-2.jpg (broken link)
http://mardigrasri.com/wp-content/up.../img_2106a.jpg
http://www.jacksonphotosociety.org/g...as_Costume.jpg
http://www.2camels.com/images/festiv...rdi-gras-9.jpg
http://www.uncoached.com/wp-content/...d-beads-18.jpg (I think this last group is certainly NOT homosexual.)

Old 06-30-2009, 10:29 PM

12,256 posts, read 16,165,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by What! View Post
Besides, he never even revealed this place he lived in, and he's banned after two posts. Why keep up a racial/homosexual debate started by a troll?
Because they don't pay attention to the person posting - I've seen several threads on here where the poster comes and says something extremely offensive and then disappears into the sunset while we sit here bickering.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:32 PM

174 posts, read 527,239 times
Quote:
I believe the city in question is Chicago, a city once 90% White that is only about 30% White these days (and declining more each decade). If one wants to be honest, try googling pride parade chicago and then hit "images", one will see that the parade (participants & onlookers) is far more White than 30%, which concurs with the OP which says that Whites are disproportionately involved with Gayness and being "Gay".

Those are just the facts for those leery in dealing with them.
The Chicago pride parade has always been pretty mixed in my near 20 year experience attending. Harold Washington, the city's first African American mayor, even spoke at the rally.

However, Chicago is a pretty segragated city and pride is no exception. Most of the black folks ended up at the lakefront party at Belmont rocks on pride Sunday. It was way fun. Now, it has grown into a weeklong series of events and parties in July. Chicago Black Pride - chiblackpride.com Head to Rainbow beach on the 5th and tell me that being GLBT is a white thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies