Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2009, 09:04 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Zelaya was spirited out of the presidential palace at 5 a.m. Sunday by the military, which flew him in his pajamas to Costa Rica. It was the first coup in Central America since military officials forced President Jorge Serrano of Guatemala to step down in 1993 after he tried to dissolve Congress and suspend the constitution.
Quote:
Latin American leaders denounced the ouster as illegal and called for Zelaya's return.
President Barack Obama said he was ''deeply concerned'' and U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said Zelaya's forced exile should be condemned, The Associated Press reported
President's ouster rattles Honduras - Breaking News - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/news/breaking-news/story/1118709.html - broken link)

Is anyone watching this? Thoughts? Predictions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 12:47 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
President's ouster rattles Honduras - Breaking News - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/news/breaking-news/story/1118709.html - broken link)

Is anyone watching this? Thoughts? Predictions?
Obama should also speak the same way toward the Iranian and North Korean leaders. Or maybe "no" since they can fight back?

Old 06-29-2009, 08:10 AM

Ahmadinejad is not happy with Obama at the moment. He has already made accusations.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:47 AM

486 posts, read 984,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Obama should also speak the same way toward the Iranian and North Korean leaders. Or maybe "no" since they can fight back?
It’s not about fighting back. The situation in Honduras is different. I find it amazing so many people condemning what's going on in Iran (thousands of miles away) and completely silent about a military coup in our OWN BACKYARD! If we stand for freedom it should be freedom everywhere in the world! Where are all those outraged about Iran now? I’m glad people are not getting killed on the streets but I’m very concerned about any government not democratically elected. (Especially one imposed by the Military!) Maybe people in Honduras are scared to do or say anything because if they could oust the president this easily, what would they do to civilians?

Old 06-29-2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
The Union of South American Nations, Unasur, energetically rejected the military coup in Honduras and extended its full and committed support to the constitutional president Jose Manuel Zelaya

Quote:
A more energetic Hugo Chavez, whose diplomatic representatives in Honduras apparently were "beaten and detained", warned that he did not discard a "military reply".
Brazil - Brazzil Mag - Brazil Urges Military to Reinstate Overthrown Honduran President (http://www.brazzilmag.com/content/view/10867/1/ - broken link)

I also read a piece where there were protestors that were slapping the military. I don't know if I can find it now.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:48 AM

785 posts, read 1,050,014 times
It's very sad that Honduras' military has stooped to such a low level. I was starting to think that coups and right-wing military dictatorships were a thing of the past in Latin America and now I'm starting to doubt my previous thoughts; I hope that someone can prove me wrong.

If Manuel Zelaya is so unpopular in Honduras, as the coup supporters claim, the people of Hondurans would have voted no on the referendum. So why is the Honduran military resorting to the barbaric tactics of the Latin American right wing during the Cold War era?

On a more positive note, I'm glad that governments from around the world from the left, center and right, have denounced the coup and are trying to restore democracy in Honduras. One thing that really embarrases me as an American that has traveled throughout Latin America and currently lives there, is that on many occasions our great values of democracy and rule of law have been thrown out the window by presidents that have supported military coups, right wing dictatorships, right wing paramilitaries and covert sabotage of democratically elected governments. I'm glad that Obama has condemned the coup and is working to restore Zelaya to power.

As for Obama meeting with Chavez, now would probably be a good time to do this; hopefully those 2 can figure out a way to peacefully return Zelaya to power in order to avoid a war between Venezuela and Honduras.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:52 AM

785 posts, read 1,050,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
It looks like you realized an important point. Although Kim Jong and Ahmadenejad are doing some really bad things, Obama has to be alot more careful in how he deals with them. We are already in 2 wars and a severe recession; the last thing we need is another war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies