U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 01:45 PM

38,895 posts, read 20,193,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
OH MY GOD!!!! WAKE UP!!!! It's like banging my head against the wall, what is wrong w/you????? Are you deliberately being this uneducated? Do you understand that hiv can stay in your system & not become AIDS? Do you understand that you can be a carrier of it but not know it but you can pass it on to your partner & they can then contract it? Oh man, people get yourself some education, seriously.
Not everyone engages in premarital sex. If you have had one sexual encounter prior to marriage then it is wise to get tested. If you haven't, then it really isn't necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 01:48 PM

965 posts, read 868,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
Not everyone engages in premarital sex. If you have had one sexual encounter prior to marriage then it is wise to get tested. If you haven't, then it really isn't necessary.
I agree with you again in part. But you can never be too safe.

There are documented cases in the US of dentists infecting patients with HIV. The statistics I listed above were global, and I'm sure the rates in the US are significantly lower (probably less than 1%), but worldwide 5-10% of new HIV infections occur in a health care setting.

10,478 posts, read 13,877,504 times
Quote:
Yes msconnie, it is necessary because you have no idea if your soon to be wife or husband has had sex prior to you. I don't care if they insist til the cows come home that they're a virgin, you just never know, now do you? I am extremely discouraged by the people on this thread & they're responses to testing. For gods sakes people, it's not an embarrassing thing, it's not dirty, it's not immoral. It's a fricking blood test! A newsflash: most people who have aids, you would never know. There isn't a "look" to it. They're not dirty, repulsive people, they're people like you & me. I give up, it's exhausting trying to discuss what should by all means be well known things, but it's like talking to children. Seriously, children who spin things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
You state you'd like more money spent on cancer research... what about people who smoke, eat poorly, etc and get cancer as a result?
Those are potential causes of cancer but millions get cancer despite eating healthy, not smoking and by taking care of themselves. One of my friends is a prime example of that and yet he came down with cancer in his mid 30's. Many children come down with cancer such as leukemia. What are the incidents of AIDS in the US that are totally unrelated to risky sexual activity and/or intravenous drug use? What percent of AIDS cases are children of HIV carriers?

Old 06-29-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanboy33 View Post
"Globally, around 11% of HIV infections are among babies who acquire the virus from their mothers; 10% result from injecting drug use; 5-10% are due to sex between men; and 5-10% occur in healthcare settings. Sex between men and women accounts for the remaining proportion around two thirds [66%] of new infections."

HIV & AIDS statistics from around the world
If both partners had remained abstinent prior to marriage, that would have wiped out 2/3 of AIDS cases right? Folks really don't want to hear this harsh reality so thus, we continue having this AIDS epidemic.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:53 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,659,690 times
That depends on your description of "risky sexual behavior".

A disease is a disease, regardless of how it is contracted. It benefits the human race as a whole to research, prevent, and cure these life threatening diseases.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:54 PM

965 posts, read 868,125 times
Quote:
What are the incidents of AIDS in the US that are totally unrelated to risky sexual activity and/or intravenous drug use? What percent of AIDS cases are children of HIV carriers?
As of 2007, 18000 or the 487000 cases of HIV in the US were attributed to non-sexual/non-drug usage - i.e. born with it or picked it up from the dentist, etc, etc.

As for what percentage of HIV infections from sexual activity was low risk (married but one person didn't know he or she had it, etc) - that's hard to ferret out.

Last edited by ramanboy33; 06-29-2009 at 02:02 PM..

Old 06-29-2009, 01:56 PM

26,529 posts, read 25,052,067 times
Quote:
No ... Continually engaging in risky sexual behaviors while knowing the risks is what I call denial of reality. "What I define as risky behaviors" are having multiple sexual partners and anal sex (That goes for both homo and heterosexuals). Those are the risky behaviors that can lead to AIDS transmission.
Sex with one infected partner is all it takes. The infected partner might not even know that he or she is infected.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Yes msconnie, it is necessary because you have no idea if your soon to be wife or husband has had sex prior to you. I don't care if they insist til the cows come home that they're a virgin, you just never know, now do you? I am extremely discouraged by the people on this thread & they're responses to testing. For gods sakes people, it's not an embarrassing thing, it's not dirty, it's not immoral. It's a fricking blood test! A newsflash: most people who have aids, you would never know. There isn't a "look" to it. They're not dirty, repulsive people, they're people like you & me. I give up, it's exhausting trying to discuss what should by all means be well known things, but it's like talking to children. Seriously, children who spin things.
For the record, Karfar, I am not opposed to Obama urging folks to get tested for HIV/AIDS especially since folks are going to continue engaging in sexual activity outside of marriage. Obama is just urging folks to be responsible which is a good thing. It would be nice if he can urge folks to remain abstinent but that would be an unpopular viewpoint which many folks deem as "unrealistic". My issues is not with Obama (unlike other posters on here). My issue is really with the preventable nature of AIDS and how folks heads are in the sand about this disease and other STD's.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:57 PM

26,529 posts, read 25,052,067 times
Quote:
Anyone (whether they are conservative or liberal) who knowingly engage in risky sexual behaviors unnecessarily places themselves at risk for AIDS and other STD's.
No. People unknowingly get HIV every day from partners whom they thought were monogamous with them. It happens every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies