U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 03:34 PM

2,560 posts, read 5,176,348 times

Advertisements

Why should a straight non promiscuous, non druggie, never had a blood transfusion person be tested for AIDS? Is there NO ONE who fits that mold now-a-days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 03:41 PM

9,321 posts, read 16,572,170 times
I really am not opposed to people getting the test or other tests before becoming involved with another person. I made my daughter promise that she and her now husband got the test which they did and all was well. My single daughter will do the same if she meets someone she is interested in. Just pays to be safe and I really don't think there was a hidden reason in his public service speech. Well, I hope there wasnt.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:43 PM

10,478 posts, read 13,858,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post
Why should a straight non promiscuous, non druggie, never had a blood transfusion person be tested for AIDS? Is there NO ONE who fits that mold now-a-days?
You don't have to be promiscuous to contract aids or stds. Did no one get any sex education on this forum? The amount of ignorance is staggering.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:59 PM

965 posts, read 866,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
If a person knowingly engages in risky behavior, then they are at least partially responsible for contracting HIV.
I don't think anyone here disagrees with you. I wouldn't say "partially responsible" though. If a person knowingly engages in risky behavior, then he or she is responsible for contracting HIV.

In the same way, if a person knowingly engages in risky behaviors like smoking or eating more fat and calories than he or she burns, then he or she is responsible for developing lung cancer, heart disease, diabetes, etc.

However, I don't apply my moral code to how these people should be treated. You don't hear me saying since these people are responsible for their lung caner, heart disease, diabetes , etc., so we should therefore stop research on their cures and instead direct money to things like, say autism.

Last edited by ramanboy33; 06-29-2009 at 04:25 PM..

Old 06-29-2009, 04:53 PM

11,456 posts, read 12,720,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
WASHINGTON (AFP) President Barack Obama on Saturday urged his fellow Americans to get tested for HIV in an effort to reduce transmission of the virus that causes AIDS.

"On this 14th commemoration of National HIV Testing Day, I urge Americans to take control of their own health -- and protect those they love -- by getting tested for HIV and working to reduce HIV transmission," Obama said in a statement.

Obama urges Americans get tested for HIV - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090627/ts_alt_afp/healthaidsusobama - broken link)

Sounds pretty smart to me. Early detection can lead to a long life as well as not spreading it to others unknowingly.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post

Hello 1983? Is that you???

Old 06-29-2009, 10:15 PM

8,640 posts, read 7,974,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
It's the hard truth but imagine how we can reduce HIV and AIDS if folks would shy away from risky behaviors. This is precisely why I'm against the government spending so much money and time on AIDS when we have other diseases that need attention such as cancer research. For the record, I have no issues with Obama urging Americans to get tested for HIV/AIDS as he is just asking us to be responsible. My beef is with all the research for cures when AIDS is 100% preventable!

As seen with David Carradine some people are willing to bet their life for high risk sex or drug use. I think the only money that should be devoted to AIDS is for those that contract it by accidently being exposed to AIDs like anyone in a field where they may come in contact with bodily fluids when assisting someone (doctors, nurses, policemen) or via transfusions.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:21 PM

965 posts, read 866,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
As seen with David Carradine some people are willing to bet their life for high risk sex or drug use. I think the only money that should be devoted to AIDS is for those that contract it by accidently being exposed to AIDs like anyone in a field where they may come in contact with bodily fluids when assisting someone (doctors, nurses, policemen) or via transfusions.
What a heartless thing to think and say.

Just out of curiosity, should we not spend any money treating (and researching) people who have cancer, heart disease, diabetes, arthritis, many birth defects (I mean, if it's the mother's fault), etc, etc, etc because you feel like blaming the person?

Please, keep your morality out of medicine.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post

Thankfully the rest of the world isn't this stupid.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:31 PM

55,642 posts, read 74,577,828 times
a doctor friend now dead 5 years ago predicted an AIDS epidemic here equal to africa in 7 years. he said it would come from the young teens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies