U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 09:48 AM

10,478 posts, read 13,867,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
Colossal arrogance?

It's a good move for him to urge people to get tested.

In the end, what harm would it honestly do?
It does no harm whatsoever. This is just one thing pulled out of the air to feign anger about. I'm over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 09:49 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,646,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achickenchaser View Post
How will the right-wingers put a negative spin on this one? It should be entertaining to hear if nothing else.
Sanrene already did. That's the first thing I thought upon opening this thread "Someone will come up with a ridiculous way to spin this against Obama". Unbelievable.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:51 AM

26,529 posts, read 25,030,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Sanrene already did. That's the first thing I thought upon opening this thread "Someone will come up with a ridiculous way to spin this against Obama". Unbelievable.
I'm waiting for one of them to bellow, "With the economy as it is, is getting tested for HIV really that important? Shouldn't he be focusing on other things?!"

Old 06-29-2009, 09:52 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,646,780 times
It shows that there are people that just truly hate Obama and will use ANYTHING as an excuse to criticize him. He could save puppies from a burning building and they'd find a reason to criticize it.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I'm waiting for one of them to bellow, "With the economy as it is, is getting tested for HIV really that important? Shouldn't he be focusing on other things?!"
That'll be next. I still haven't heard an answer as to why it's arrogant of Obama to urge people to get aids testing. Arrogant.....LOL, the posts of certain people on here are just priceless, aren't they?

Old 06-29-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
It shows that there are people that just truly hate Obama and will use ANYTHING as an excuse to criticize him. He could save puppies from a burning building and they'd find a reason to criticize it.
Then they'll insist it's not that they hate him, it's that he has bad policies or doesn't care about the american people, yada yada yada. Yet some of the same posters post the same hysteria constantly. At absolutely anything. That in my opinion shows ignorance, intolerance & plain ole stupidity.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:08 AM

26,529 posts, read 25,030,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Then they'll insist it's not that they hate him, it's that he has bad policies or doesn't care about the american people, yada yada yada. Yet some of the same posters post the same hysteria constantly. At absolutely anything. That in my opinion shows ignorance, intolerance & plain ole stupidity.
Also, consider that about 10% of Americans are drunk by noon.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Also, consider that about 10% of Americans are drunk by noon.
LOL, classic.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:22 AM

22,892 posts, read 16,281,876 times
Quote:
That'll be next. I still haven't heard an answer as to why it's arrogant of Obama to urge people to get aids testing.
Imagine that - the President actually using that 'bully pulpit' of his for the public good. The nerve of him talking about prevention and responsibility in the same breath.

Quote:
Arrogant.....LOL, the posts of certain people on here are just priceless, aren't they?

Old 06-29-2009, 11:20 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,163,136 times
Testing is valuable and it is good that the president is mentioning this disease and not just ignoring it like so many presidents before him. However the only real benefit of people being tested is so that they will know their status early enough so that they can begin treatment that may prolong their lives and also in the hopes that they will be honest and tell their partner before having sex. However human nature is to conceal things that we don't want to deal with so the epidemic will continue because there are always going to be dishonest people who will lie to their partners.

I have had this debate many times with friends and family members. Although I know it is a controversial practice the government should have a database with the names and pictures of those infected for the public to be able to check before they become involved with the person. This along with continuing to practice safe sex will cut down transmission and put an end to this epidemic. I know everyone will say people have a right to their privacy. But when there is an epidemic involved that should be the exception to the rule. It is no different then the National Sex Offender Registry.........for those that have never looked at the registry it contains the names, pictures and addresses of registered sex offenders.

The good of the larger society should outweigh the privacy of the smaller few!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies