U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 11:24 AM

26,529 posts, read 25,022,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
However human nature is to conceal things that we don't want to deal with so the epidemic will continue because there are always going to be dishonest people who will lie to their partners.
Yes, some people will lie and conceal it from their sex partners, but my understanding is that the vast majority of HIV-infected people do not go around recklessly having sex without condoms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 11:28 AM

10,478 posts, read 13,864,291 times
Quote:

Although I know it is a controversial practice the government should have a database with the names and pictures of those infected for the public to be able to check before they become involved with the person.
No, I don't agree w/this. It will turn these people into pariahs. Have you already noticed the vile discussions & responses people have made about either gays, sexually active people or people w/diseases on this forum alone? No way, that would be open season if that was allowed.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
No, I don't agree w/this. It will turn these people into pariahs. Have you already noticed the vile discussions & responses people have made about either gays, sexually active people or people w/diseases on this forum alone? No way, that would be open season if that was allowed.
I agree. Privacy should be protected unless someone is committing a criminal act. Simply being HIV-positive is not a criminal act. He's comparing having a disease with being a sex offender. I think that's a terrible comparison.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:30 AM

55,667 posts, read 74,620,384 times
good job mr obama ---denial works great for americans getting them out of it will be a project.debt job future, global warming AIDS lousy disfunctional marriage, divorce, you name it. lots of people walking on the streets and hangin out at starbucks and the "night life" are walking dead people.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:32 AM

17,787 posts, read 19,805,586 times
This is Obama's way of reducing healthcare costs? I would say test for HIV if you have significant risk factors... just because you are negative now doesn't mean you aren't going to be positive later... this will cost a LOT of money... you could say that it is a screening tool but what a dumbas$ way of doing things... prevalence is low and incidence is not high in the majority of this country to warrant testing other than those with risk factors... I can understand because Obama doesn't know a lot about epidemiology and statistics but shouldn't he talked to experts before making this absurd claim...

Old 06-29-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I agree. Privacy should be protected unless someone is committing a criminal act. Simply being HIV-positive is not a criminal act. He's comparing having a disease with being a sex offender. I think that's a terrible comparison.
LOL, should we be surprised? There are some who compare homosexuality to pedophilia. Such a worldy group we've got on CD, hey?

Old 06-29-2009, 11:34 AM

8,640 posts, read 7,978,133 times
Quote:
Testing is valuable and it is good that the president is mentioning this disease and not just ignoring it like so many presidents before him. However the only real benefit of people being tested is so that they will know their status early enough so that they can begin treatment that may prolong their lives and also in the hopes that they will be honest and tell their partner before having sex. However human nature is to conceal things that we don't want to deal with so the epidemic will continue because there are always going to be dishonest people who will lie to their partners.

I have had this debate many times with friends and family members. Although I know it is a controversial practice the government should have a database with the names and pictures of those infected for the public to be able to check before they become involved with the person. This along with continuing to practice safe sex will cut down transmission and put an end to this epidemic. I know everyone will say people have a right to their privacy. But when there is an epidemic involved that should be the exception to the rule. It is no different then the National Sex Offender Registry.........for those that have never looked at the registry it contains the names, pictures and addresses of registered sex offenders.

The good of the larger society should outweigh the privacy of the smaller few!

I agree. There should be a data base because those infected will still have sex. Even if they use a condom it is still high risk because condoms sometimes break or fall off.

People need to stay away from gay sex, drug use (sharing neeedles), multiple partners. and prostitutes. These are the highest risk for contracting AIDS.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
This is Obama's way of reducing healthcare costs? I would say test for HIV if you have significant risk factors... just because you are negative now doesn't mean you aren't going to be positive later... this will cost a LOT of money... you could say that it is a screening tool but what a dumbas$ way of doing things... prevalence is low and incidence is not high in the majority of this country to warrant testing other than those with risk factors... I can understand because Obama doesn't know a lot about epidemiology and statistics but shouldn't he talked to experts before making this absurd claim...
Wow, you really know your stuff, don't ya? Are you insane? What do you think will cost more my friend, an aids test or healthcare for someone living w/aids? Why don't you just fess up, because it's Obama who said this & not your pal Limbaugh, Cheney or McCain, THAT is why all of you chicken littles are running around w/your heads cut off & your arms flapping, right?

Old 06-29-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I can understand because Obama doesn't know a lot about epidemiology and statistics but shouldn't he talked to experts before making this absurd claim...
I hope you're as critical of Bush on this issue as you are of Obama.

Bush Administration to Suggest Routine AIDS Testing Procedures
April 18, 2003

By Ceci Connolly

THE WASHINGTON POST -- The nation’s top public health doctor, declaring current AIDS prevention programs a major disappointment, announced Thursday the Bush administration will begin encouraging doctors to offer routine HIV testing to all their patients, especially pregnant women.

http://tech.mit.edu/V123/N20/long_4_$20.20w.html

Old 06-29-2009, 11:45 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,854,728 times
Listening to some of these right-wing rants, I'm becoming more and more convinced we need some type of universal heathcare. Some of these people desperately need meds and treatment, no matter what the cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies