Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2009, 12:59 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Why is this unrealistic? Because society is telling us it's unrealistic?
Yes, society tells us this, and any sociologist or epidemiologist will tell you that it's unrealistic to expect that everybody can and will abstain from unprotected sex and intravenous drug use. People aren't perfect.

Quote:
It's multiple sex partners and certain types of sexual behaviors that lead to AIDS transmission.
Nope. One act of heterosexual, missionary-position sex with an infected person can lead to transmission. A thousand acts of sex with people who are not infected can never lead to transmission.

Quote:
Are you suggesting that HIV positive folks should continue to have sex as long as they use a condom?
Nope. I never said that.

Quote:
I agree about getting AIDS testing if you are among those at risk for contracting AIDS.
That would include anyone who has sexual intercourse.

Quote:
Folks who are in monogamous relationships where they have only had one sexual partner and have not engaged in certain sexual acts as well as those who abstain from intravenous drug use do not really need to be tested.
I guess we have different ideas about who should be tested. I think it's foolish to not get tested at all. It's mostly fear, embarrassment, and shameful feelings about sex that keep a lot of people from getting tested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 01:00 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,593,491 times
I have a newflash..Obama has made it mandatory that as part of a routine physical..your Dr now will test for AIDS without you asking for it. I heard this a couple of months ago and am not sure what part of what bill or something he crammed thru the Congress..but yes...it will now be mandatory. Nice to slowly but surely have all of your rights taken away from you..isn't it??

Old 06-29-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
Yeah I can see it now ...

"Come on honey, let's go get tested for HIV. Although I trust you and all, I'm just being realistic as there may be a possibility that you may have cheated on me and I may have cheated on you"

I guess if someone wants to live blindly, he or she has a right to do so.

Your premise is sort of silly, though. No one has to know that you're getting tested. You can get tested anonymously for free in most places, or you can order your own testing kit on the internet.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:07 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,660,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdavid002 View Post
I have a newflash..Obama has made it mandatory that as part of a routine physical..your Dr now will test for AIDS without you asking for it. I heard this a couple of months ago and am not sure what part of what bill or something he crammed thru the Congress..but yes...it will now be mandatory. Nice to slowly but surely have all of your rights taken away from you..isn't it??
You are full of crap. You can't really be that misinformed. "I heard this a couple of months ago". Not happening.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
If no one has cheated, they have nothing to worry about, do they? I actually found it to be a bonding experience going w/my ex together to get one.
Years ago, I went with a female co-worker of mine. I didn't get tested, but she wanted to do it without her boyfriend knowing about it, and she didn't want to go to the county clinic alone. Of the two years she and I worked together, that's the day that stands out for me as the best - oh - actually, even better was the day that we went to get her result (which was negative).

Old 06-29-2009, 01:11 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,563,744 times
Quote:
A. provide evidence & B. I have absolutely no qualms about this if it were true

Old 06-29-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
And thus, AIDS will always be a problem until people collectively decide to abstain from risky behaviors.
Such denial of reality. Honestly, it's foolish.

Quote:
Let's stop funding AIDS research and let's focus on cancer research instead. I, as a taxpayer, am sick of my dollars being used to research the cure for something when we can eradicate HIV/AIDS simply by abstaining from risky behaviors.
Yeah, well, I'm sick of hearing people complaining about "their tax dollars" being used to fund research to cure diseases - especially when a lot of these same people had little or no problem with the trillion dollars spent in Iraq. Like it or not, when it comes to health - especially in terms of communicable diseases, we are all connected.

And to suggest that it's "simple" to get everybody in America (and the world) to abstain from what you define as risky behaviors is completely unrealistic.

Are there any other diseases for which you want to stop funding, or is it just HIV/AIDS?

Old 06-29-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
I have a newflash..Obama has made it mandatory that as part of a routine physical..your Dr now will test for AIDS without you asking for it. I heard this a couple of months ago and am not sure what part of what bill or something he crammed thru the Congress..but yes...it will now be mandatory.
Provide evidence, please.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:20 PM

968 posts, read 1,038,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
I am 100% and she's the same. We believe in keeping our house clean.
I'm sure that's what Ted Haggart's wife thought too.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanboy33 View Post
I'm sure that's what Ted Haggart's wife thought too.
And Larry Craig's wife, David Vitter's wife, Elliot Spitzer's wife, and John Edwards's wife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies