Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 01:59 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Sex with one infected partner is all it takes. The infected partner might not even know that he or she is infected.
If you have had premarital sex, then an HIV/AIDS test would be a good idea then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 02:01 PM

968 posts, read 1,038,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
If both partners had remained abstinent prior to marriage, that would have wiped out 2/3 of AIDS cases right? Folks really don't want to hear this harsh reality so thus, we continue having this AIDS epidemic.
Not 2/3, no (that would assume all those people got it from sexual activity, when we know roughly 1/3 did not), but a high percentage yes.

The harsh reality is we could end the flu epidemic if everyone washed his or her hands 50 times a day and stayed isolated indoors most of the time. We could end the lung cancer epidemic if people stopped smoking. We could end the heart disease and diabetes epidemics if people ate better.

It's dangerous to link disease treatment/prevention to a particular version of morality.

Of course you try to get people to stop engaging in the behaviors that spread HIV. Just like you try to get people to stop in the behaviors that cause all other major diseases. But in the end, you accept the reality of human behavior and fight all the diseases as best we can with the available resources.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:02 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
Should all married couples begin to be suspicious of their partners just because someone who professed to be clean wasn't so?
I remember a slogan from an HIV organization a few years ago. It said:

"How do you know what you know?"

No, not all married couples should be suspicious of their partners, but I think it's prudent to get tested at least once.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:02 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,560,035 times
Quote:
If you have had premarital sex, then an HIV/AIDS test would be a good idea then.
Any sex, doesn't have to be premarital, ANY SEX CAN GIVE YOU AIDS.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Not if BOTH partners abstained from risky sexual behavior and intravenous drug use.
And Connie, how does anyone know for sure that his or her partner has never had sex with others or used intravenous drugs?

And what about couples who have had previous relationships but have never been tested? Symptoms of HIV usually take at least a few years to appear.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:08 PM

968 posts, read 1,038,650 times
Quote:
My issue is really with the preventable nature of AIDS and how folks heads are in the sand about this disease and other STD's.
I don't think most people have their heads in the sand on this issue. We have one of the lowest infection rates in the world for HIV (and most STDs I believe - I could be wrong, I haven't looked it up). That's a testament to the level of education here (although it still needs to be better).

People just like sex. I use protection when I have sex 99% of the time. I know there is still plenty of risk, and that I could contract a disease. That risk is much more acceptable to me that the idea of abstinence. The people I choose to have sex with have made the same value or risk/reward assessment I have.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Americans who engage in risky sexual behaviors and use intravenous drugs have their heads in the sand and feel that somehow it won't happen to them.
Yes, and the same can be said of those who believe they're in monogamous relationships but are not. This is why everyone should get tested at least once.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
I realize that which is why I emphasize BOTH.
Should virgins marry only other virgins? If not, then how do you know that your partner is HIV-negative unless he or she gets tested?

Old 06-29-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
What are the incidents of AIDS in the US that are totally unrelated to risky sexual activity and/or intravenous drug use?
You keep talking about risky sexual activity, but you apparently don't think that having sex with one HIV-infected partner is risky.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
If both partners had remained abstinent prior to marriage, that would have wiped out 2/3 of AIDS cases right? Folks really don't want to hear this harsh reality so thus, we continue having this AIDS epidemic.
To say "if only they had remained abstinent" is absolutely denying reality. You do seem to be saying that everyone should be a virgin outside of marriage (I'm not surprised, of course), and that if anyone does get HIV, it's their own fault, even if they got infected by someone who they thought was being monogamous or was a virgin before marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies