Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 01:35 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,640,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
I do sympathize with folks who are suffering even if their actions brought about the suffering. I just think that folks need to get their heads out of the sand and start behaving responsibly! This whole AIDS epidemic is just so unnecessary!
And what about children that the virus is passed on to? Spouses of a partner who cheated on them and passed on the virus? How did they bring about their suffering?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Not if BOTH partners abstained from risky sexual behavior and intravenous drug use.
If your partner had heterosexual sex ONCE before marriage, they could catch AIDS.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:38 PM

39,031 posts, read 22,989,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanboy33 View Post
Let's expand a little. What's your thought on the worldwide AIDS epidemic? Of the 40+ million people in the world with HIV/AIDS, only about 500,000 are in the US.
I think folks in underdeveloped nations such as in the continent of Africa obtain AIDS due to lack of education and resources. For those folks, I have more sympathy. Here in the US, it is almost common knowledge how AIDS is transmitted but yet, folks are still engaging in risky behaviors. Americans who engage in risky sexual behaviors and use intravenous drugs have their heads in the sand and feel that somehow it won't happen to them. This is what irks me. We should NOT be having any type of AIDS epidemic here in the US.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:39 PM

968 posts, read 1,037,087 times
Quote:
Well it's obvious that Mr. Haggard was not living a clean lifestyle.
My point exactly. You never know.

Quote:
Should all married couples begin to be suspicious of their partners just because someone who professed to be clean wasn't so?
No. My simple point is it's not as simple as some on here are making it out to be.

Most people in marriages don't cheat - I'll give you that. Most people in marriages, however, were not virgins before they got married. It's possible, and has happened, that one partner unknowingly brings HIV into the marriage.

I'm not saying go get tested 5 times a year. One quick, cheap (often free) 20 minute test is just a good idea for everyone.

The CDC estimates at least 25% of people with HIV in the US are unaware they have it.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
And what about children that the virus is passed on to? Spouses of a partner who cheated on them and passed on the virus? How did they bring about their suffering?
I do feel sympathy towards the children who unwittingly obtained AIDS through their parents. In these cases, I can see the benefits of AIDS research but these are not the majority of AIDS cases.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:41 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,543,380 times
Quote:
Not if BOTH partners abstained from risky sexual behavior and intravenous drug use.
OH MY GOD!!!! WAKE UP!!!! It's like banging my head against the wall, what is wrong w/you????? Are you deliberately being this uneducated? Do you understand that hiv can stay in your system & not become AIDS? Do you understand that you can be a carrier of it but not know it but you can pass it on to your partner & they can then contract it? Oh man, people get yourself some education, seriously.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
If your partner had heterosexual sex ONCE before marriage, they could catch AIDS.
I realize that which is why I emphasize BOTH.

Quote:
I do feel sympathy towards the children who unwittingly obtained AIDS through their parents. In these cases, I can see the benefits of AIDS research but these are not the majority of AIDS cases.
You state you'd like more money spent on cancer research... what about people who smoke, eat poorly, etc and get cancer as a result?

968 posts, read 1,037,087 times
Quote:
"Globally, around 11% of HIV infections are among babies who acquire the virus from their mothers; 10% result from injecting drug use; 5-10% are due to sex between men; and 5-10% occur in healthcare settings. Sex between men and women accounts for the remaining proportion – around two thirds [66%] of new infections."

HIV & AIDS statistics from around the world

Old 06-29-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanboy33 View Post
My point exactly. You never know.

No. My simple point is it's not as simple as some on here are making it out to be.

Most people in marriages don't cheat - I'll give you that. Most people in marriages, however, were not virgins before they got married. It's possible, and has happened, that one partner unknowingly brings HIV into the marriage.

I'm not saying go get tested 5 times a year. One quick, cheap (often free) 20 minute test is just a good idea for everyone.

The CDC estimates at least 25% of people with HIV are unaware they have it.
I see your point especially about getting tested prior to marriage or prior to engaging in sexual activity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies