U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 10:22 PM

26,529 posts, read 24,922,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
DFW area actually
Thanks. That's what I figured.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 10:24 PM

41,314 posts, read 39,461,871 times
Seems your gay rights site left a little something out of the story; Seems they went to other bars that night as well.

Upset Fort Worth residents protest raid on gay nightclub | Top Stories | Star-Telegram.com (http://www.star-telegram.com/804/story/1458523.html - broken link)

Quote:
Fort Worth police released a statement saying that the Rainbow Lounge was not the only bar targeted by six Fort Worth police officers and two agents from the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission and a supervisor. The group first went to the Rosedale Saloon and Cowboy Palace on Rosedale Street. Nine people were arrested, police report.

Alcohol beverage code inspections are conducted frequently in Fort Worth to ensure safety, police reported

Old 06-28-2009, 10:25 PM

14,969 posts, read 14,157,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Yes. And I can't imagine why it turned so violent and just what it was they thought they were going to find.
I think it was the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission (TABC) conducting the raid and the Fort Worth Police Department simply accompanied them.

The TABC does random checks to make sure the bars aren't violating laws on serving to intoxicated people, serving to minors, etc.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:28 PM

14,969 posts, read 14,157,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Seems your gay rights site left a little something out of the story; Seems they went to other bars that night as well.

Upset Fort Worth residents protest raid on gay nightclub | Top Stories | Star-Telegram.com (http://www.star-telegram.com/804/story/1458523.html - broken link)
The officer could have simply tazed the people who may have been resisting arrest, instead this is what happened:

Quote:
Witnesses say that police arrived at the nightclub about 1 a.m. Sunday and arrested seven people and that one of those arrested suffered a fractured skull during the takedown and is at a Fort Worth hospital.
The only complaints are that the officers used excessive force; the raid and the arrests for public intoxication were legal and I don't think anyone is disputing that.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:31 PM

15,400 posts, read 19,502,751 times
Gay Pride month...about bar patrons fighting for their rights......Gay bar raided.....sounds like a coincidence to me....LOL.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:32 PM

5,763 posts, read 4,336,826 times
I had hoped that there would never be another incident like Stonewall; I would imagine that the police were well aware that it was the correct date, and chose to use such excessive force...a tribute raid, if you will. Regardless, it is yet another reminder that silence in the face of such incidents allows bigots to believe that they have your approval to feel that way, and to act out. The only group less likely to be violent would be a Jane Austen Reading Group. I hope those injured sue the police, the police department, the police commissioner and the city. It is barbaric.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:34 PM

965 posts, read 861,346 times
Quote:

Yeah, but did they crack and skulls (literally - they fractured a guy's skull) at the other bars?

And by the way, my gay rights site did mention that the police contended that the raid was a normal bar check that they regularly conduct. Maybe you should read the whole article.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:35 PM

41,314 posts, read 39,461,871 times
Quote:
The officer could have simply tazed the people who may have been resisting arrest, instead this is what happened:
OMG - you've got to be friggin kidding me?

Can you just imagine the howls of outrage if the cops had gone in there and tasered the gays? What a scandal that would have been.

You know, if people are drunk and resisting arrest, I would think it quite easy to get hurt, get knocked/thrown down and suffer some damage - if the cops are going to put you down on the ground, it ain't going to feel good.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:35 PM

26,529 posts, read 24,922,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
The officer could have simply tazed the people who may have been resisting arrest
Good point. I wonder if they've ever fractured skulls during arrests in other bars.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:38 PM

965 posts, read 861,346 times
Quote:
OMG - you've got to be friggin kidding me?

Can you just imagine the howls of outrage if the cops had gone in there and tasered the gays? What a scandal that would have been.
Less of a scandal than seriously injuring them by fracturing skulls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies