Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2009, 11:22 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,937,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Do some research.

You post things all the time without any back-up.

Prove I'm wrong.
You made the claim - back it up. Or can't you find a credible source? I too see that 100% figure on the lefty blogs, without any evidence to prove it, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 11:23 AM

596 posts, read 889,704 times
The bottom line to me, after having read the decision and the dissent is this: It was not lawful to toss out the test results based solely on a fear of being sued for Title VII violations.

That's the bottom line.

Now, there are other considerations.

1. Why did they weight it 60% on the written test? If this is for a leadership position, it seems there should have been some consideration for leadership skills, ability to engender respect, etc. I can see 60% written/40% oral for an entrance exam, but not for a leadership position. (But that's just my opinion)

2. Why did they scrap the results altogether? I didn't read that there was a rule that they HAD to abide by the test results. Couldn't they have said, "We are going to promote these people based on their test resutls and we are going to promote THESE people based on their demonstration of leadership, command presence and ability to think on their feet."

3. Why did they have to create a whole new test for this fire dept? Maybe this is why municipalities are going through money like crap through a goose! Couldn't they have used an already proven standardized test for firefighters?

Old 06-29-2009, 11:24 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
The saddest thing is, this ruling has just reinforced the racists all over this country. It truly makes me ill.
I fail to see how this is going to bolster up racists anywhere. . I highly doubt this is going to create a massive run for people to join the Klan. It's not a racist ruling. It struck down a racist ruling. Your logic is rather flawed. By this line of thinkg , it seem you would exclude people from promotion because they do not round out a demographic group. THAT is racist. Or perhaps exclusionary is a more appropriate term. This is not about racial equality so much as about qualifications for a certain position of employment. The filling of open positions was being based on racial quotas and not ability. There is not gong to be a run for people to join the Aryan Brotherhood because of this. Gimme a break..........

Old 06-29-2009, 11:35 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,946,349 times
SCOTUS has ruled in New Haven Reverse Discrimination Case

I wish people would stop calling it Reverse discrimination when a white person sues. It is just discrimination. No racial group has a monopoly on discrimination.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:35 AM

2,842 posts, read 2,328,064 times
A better form of "diversity" for the Supreme Court would be to stop putting only Ivy League (Mostly Yale) law school graduates on the Court. Put a single mom who worked her way through a state law school working graveyard shifts on the Court and you would start to see a Supreme Court that more accurately reflects the views of normal Americans. This institution is more removed from reality than any other branch of our government. If you think Congressmen are aloof and out of touch, you have to meet a Supreme Court Justice sometime. They are completely self-absorbed with their own notion of how brilliant they are.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:37 AM

4,002 posts, read 3,904,593 times
Quote:
The saddest thing is, this ruling has just reinforced the racists all over this country. It truly makes me ill.
Oh really?

I don't know if I should laugh or cry over the stupidity.

Racist all over the country? Who, would all of these racists be ... exactly?

Blacks? Whites? Asians? Latinos? or all of the above?

Catering to the race "IS" racism ... as Affirmative action has shown us, time and time again.

The day that racism ends, will be the day we, as a nation, quit writing laws related to race.

Everyone should pull themselves up by their bootstraps I'm afraid ... And I don't care what color you seem to think you are on any given day.

Our laws are outdated and biased and should be changed.

Now you can go all off into your corner and BooHoo all you want .... There are those of us who would be real Americans, that don't let things like race interfere with the way we've chosen to live our lives.

Last edited by bigskydude; 06-29-2009 at 11:46 AM..

Old 06-29-2009, 11:44 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post

Oh really?

I don't know if I should laugh or cry over the stupidity.

Racist all over the country? Who, would all of these racists be ... exactly?

Blacks? Whites? Asians? Latinos? or all of the above?

Catering to the racism "IS" racism ... as Affirmative action has shown us, time and time again.

The day that racism ends, will be the day we, as a nation, quit writing laws related to race.

Everyone should pull themselves up by their bootstraps I'm afraid ... And I don't care what color you seem to think you are on any given day.

Our laws are outdated and biased and should be changed.

Now you can go all off into your corner and BooHoo all you want .... There are those of us who would be real Americans, that don't let things like race interfere with the way we've chosen to live our lives.
This is why I loathe the Republican party.

"Real Americans" my a$$.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:50 AM

4,002 posts, read 3,904,593 times
Quote:

"Real Americans" my a$$.
I suppose this may be true in your case, but my sentiment goes clear back to Eisenhower and Johnson ... it took a Democrat to push what a Republican wrote ... both parties are racist in my opinion.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:57 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
You made the claim - back it up. Or can't you find a credible source? I too see that 100% figure on the lefty blogs, without any evidence to prove it, though.
Read, sanrene, read.

http://media.pfaw.org/stc/AlitoPreliminary.pdf

Old 06-29-2009, 11:59 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,937,590 times
Quote:

"Real Americans" my a$$.
Is this the best you can do - after being called out on your race-baiting remarks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies